MoTab no more... it's official

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

Re: MoTab no more... it's official

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:29 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:14 pm
2bizE wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:39 pm
I admit I'm impressed with RMN. He is a leader. He knows how to make change, and make it quick. His revelations have been superficial, but he is an agent of change. I hope many more things change for the better.
I think this just goes to show how incapacitated Thomas S. Monson was.
This was too funny not to share:

Has it a name?

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:38 pm

So... If they had "changed the name" of the Titanic as it was sinking?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:11 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:38 pm
"A rose by any other name" is still sinking.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:26 pm

If the name is tarnished, it is not unheard of for corporations to change their names such as the paid mercenary company Blackwater changing to Xe, or the tobacco company Philip Morris changing its name to Altria.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:53 pm

The name change is just so stupid.

"Hi, We're here to tell you about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints"

'Are you those Mormons?'

"No, we're the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to tell you about this amazing book we have called the (quietly mumbling) Book of Mormon"

'SO YOU ARE MORMONS!'

"No, we're the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You're clearly confused. Now let me tell you how Joseph Smith translated the gold plates of these scriptures that are often known as the (mumbles quietly) Book of Mormon"

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:26 pm

I think it will be along time before the rest of the world stops using Mormon
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:07 am

Anon70 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:28 pm
I am enjoying that (what appears to be a majority of) TBMs, NOMs and EXMOs all think this is stupid.

I did read a few “so inspired!” comments but they were definitely in the minority.
I think most members will ignore it like they do everything else that causes them cognitive dissonance, but I think a few shelves might crack over this. Even my wife thinks it’s stupid and hasn’t been afraid to say so.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:11 am

corporate bird wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:26 pm
If the name is tarnished, it is not unheard of for corporations to change their names such as the paid mercenary company Blackwater changing to Xe, or the tobacco company Philip Morris changing its name to Altria.
For those gentiles not bothered by Mormonism and who liked the MoTab Choir, this name change will be a head-scratcher. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir was positive PR for the Church, but if Headquarters feel like they must purge the name Mormon, then it is their decision to make.

In ancient times, a tabernacle was the tent in which the Ark of the Covenant was sheltered. The name Mormon was a compound word from Reformed Egyptian. Mor (more) and mon (good), when combined, meant "more good". This is not some made up stuff, it came straight from Joseph Smith.

Makes me wonder whether they have considered changing the name of the long-running radio program to Music and the Revealed Word?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:15 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:38 pm
They had to change it to the Titantic submarine

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:41 am

moksha wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:11 am
The name Mormon was a compound word from Reformed Egyptian. Mor (more) and mon (good), when combined, meant "more good". This is not some made up stuff, it came straight from Joseph Smith.
Actually Joseph got that interpretation slightly wrong. What it refers to is when members experience a degree of cog dis regarding changes in the church policy and doctrines they should have "More goodies".

"Not feeling well spiritually? Feeling a bit anxious? Have a brownie and call me in the morning. We're having smores for dinner at my house tonight if you want to come? I make the best chocolate chip cookies ever."

:shock:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Bremguy

Post by Bremguy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:47 am

A lot of the recent changes remind me in a way of how Coke tried to rebrand itself a good many years ago.
Also, how fast the New Coke was rejected. Coke went back to the old name and formula. I could only imagine what would have happened to Coke if they didn't change back. Would they be where they are today ?

The title of Mormon is known world-wide and generally a good name.
The name change is beyond my comprehension.

The 2 hour block is going to be nice.
Live Long and Prosper

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:02 am

Obviously, MoTab is out because it contains the epithet 'M*rmon.' That's why the new choir name prominently features the words 'Jesus Christ'... Wait, you mean it doesn't? The new name is just a bunch of generic words with no reference at all to the Savior? Oh well, looks like another major victory for Satan!

Random

Post by Random » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:49 pm

AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:02 am
Obviously, MoTab is out because it contains the epithet 'M*rmon.' That's why the new choir name prominently features the words 'Jesus Christ'... Wait, you mean it doesn't? The new name is just a bunch of generic words with no reference at all to the Savior? Oh well, looks like another major victory for Satan!
Perhaps this is where I should have posted the victoryforsatan.org website link. I don't know who bought the domain name, but I like where it redirects, and the fact that the site it redirects to rejects the redirection. (At least I've not heard of it accepting the redirection yet.)
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:42 am

One thing I find funny is that despite the push from LDS Inc. this has had no impact what so ever on people outside of Mormonism. Out in my area, anytime someone talks about the church, it is always "The Mormons" No one has any reason to chance what is a well ingrained name for that Utah church.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams