2-hour church - initial thoughts

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

2-hour church - initial thoughts

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:16 am

Some thoughts:

1) It's a perfect opportunity to introduce new Sunday school curriculum that dumps the 4-part cycle of scripture-centered study for a more controlled prophet-centric study plan mingled with scripture. That way, people are less likely ro read the parts of scripture that might produce questions.

2) The addition of home study is a smart move on their part. It requires the parents to take more responsibility for their kids' indoctrination, which also bolsters the parents' indoctrination because they need to prepare the lessons. Even though my parents only did about a half dozen FHEs they still stand out in my memory as the most powerful and spiritual experiences of my church education because it combined indoctrination with family bonding.

3) I'm assuming Primary will still be every week?

4) How much of this is financially motivated? More wards can share buildings.

5) So are they claiming revelation or Nelson policy? It sounds like there's some of both?

6) This is to prepare for the 2nd Coming? How so? Seems like quite a leap of logic
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

nibbler

Re: 2-hour church - initial thoughts

Post by nibbler » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:33 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:16 am
6) This is to prepare for the 2nd Coming? How so? Seems like quite a leap of logic
Frees up time to stockpile ammo.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:01 am

They will never admit it, but I have a feeling it might be the primary motivation.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:37 am

7) Maybe they noticed that there are a LOT of very devout Evangelicals out there, even though their church experience is a 1-hour pep-rally-for-Jesus and no callings. This could be another step towards the mainstream.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:59 am

Hagoth wrote:
2) The addition of home study is a smart move on their part. It requires the parents to take more responsibility for their kids' indoctrination, which also bolsters the parents' indoctrination because they need to prepare the lessons. Even though my parents only did about a half dozen FHEs they still stand out in my memory as the most powerful and spiritual experiences of my church education because it combined indoctrination with family bonding.
That Kook-aid ain't going to drink itself!

I fully expect a serious amount of doubling down with many active and believing families going forward. Many Family Home Evenings will be just like a church basketball game: a fight that begins and ends with a prayer.

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:04 pm

LostMormon wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:01 am

They will never admit it, but I have a feeling it might be the primary motivation.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
This was my first thought. Consolidate 4 wards into newer buildings, demolish older, larger buildings and sell the land for development. Especially any of the old buildings that have baseball fields or picnic areas if there are still any of those around.
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Hagoth wrote:
1) It's a perfect opportunity to introduce new Sunday school curriculum that dumps the 4-part cycle of scripture-centered study for a more controlled prophet-centric study plan mingled with scripture. That way, people are less likely ro read the parts of scripture that might produce questions.
I just listened to the announcement and it sounds like they're sticking with a scripture-centric Sunday school curriculum, which is good, but it will be interesting to see where they put the emphasis. The other lessons, however, are focused on, ugh, conference talks.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:42 pm

While my kids were growing up, for years the church drilled down on having family home evening on Mondays and attending all three hours on Sunday.

After attending the three hours, we found it much more enjoyable to have a Gospel discussion with our main Sunday meal by simply asking, "What did you learn or talk about in church today?" It also gave us the opportunity to correct any offbeat teachings from undereducated instructors. We had great discussions and scripture studies.

We considered this our "Family home evening". Then on some other night of the week (possibly Monday) we would go have fun with our kids.

If we mentioned this arrangement in church we would get some "ah' hems" from leadership for not promoting the "program".

Now the leadership gurus are going with nearly the exact approach we had thirty years ago. And it's INSPIRED!!! no less.....

I just keep thinking, "What the crap do I need you guys for???" :shock:

ETA: I figure give it another 20 years and the church will finally catch up with the idea that they're running a phony organization, just as I did.... ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:17 pm

It seems plausible to assume this was an idea taken from many message board posts over the years. Rank and file COJCOLDers will support any decision made by Headquarters as being inspired.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mankhoj

Post by Mankhoj » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:51 pm

DW had an interesting thought. She thinks the whole home study part of 2 hour church could be used as a tactic in the future as more people leave the church. Placing blame on families for not doing their home study as a reason for children leaving. As parents see their children stray, the church can simply say "we gave you the reins and you dropped them." Because, lets face it, very few families are going to be diligent in this, just as with fhe.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Mankhoj wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:51 pm
DW had an interesting thought. She thinks the whole home study part of 2 hour church could be used as a tactic in the future as more people leave the church. Placing blame on families for not doing their home study as a reason for children leaving. As parents see their children stray, the church can simply say "we gave you the reins and you dropped them." Because, lets face it, very few families are going to be diligent in this, just as with fhe.
This is actually a good possibility.

The church may be on a downward spiral but the important thing to these guys is who gets the blame. That would really be sad...
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:27 pm

No doubt that is what will happen. I think, though, that it is a tactic to lower costs, keep more people from leaving (I'm sure that studies have shown that people don't like the three hour block), and perhaps to be able to double up on wards in buildings, thus freeing them to sell those buildings.

But since Nelson is making God's will something he wanted to implement years ago (shunning the word Mormon), I wouldn't be at all surprised if he never liked the 3 hour block.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

græy

Post by græy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 pm

As someone who still attends all three hours every week. I'm happy for the 2 hour announcement.

I do agree that their hope is to move responsibility to the parents. The even stated as much. But I'm OK with that. My kids are smart and I will not lie to them. If the church wants me to teach my kids what I've learned, I will. (I would have before the 2-hour thing too, but now it's officially officially official.) They will figure it all out. At 8 years old they're already asking a lot of questions about epistemology, contradicting teachings from leaders, evolution, moral relativism, etc. just without the big vocabulary. They'll work themselves out and I won't stop them.

Plus, one advantage is that FHE is now officially the 3rd hour at home Sunday activity.

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/ldsorg/g ... f?lang=eng
In addition, we encourage individuals and families to hold home evening and to study the
gospel at home on Sunday
Meaning that Monday nights should have 94% fewer fights and arguments. Yay!
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

achilles

Post by achilles » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:58 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:17 pm
It seems plausible to assume this was an idea taken from many message board posts over the years. Rank and file COJCOLDers will support any decision made by Headquarters as being inspired.
Totally. When I listened to Pres Nelson's talk about the name of the Church, he basically rattled off all of the "secular excuses" for not doing it that specially assigned COB functionaries gleaned from the Bloggernacle and Reddit. (and maybe this site, too...Hello COBbies!)
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:26 pm

achilles wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:58 pm
(and maybe this site, too...Hello COBbies!)
They Church workers are pretty efficient so I imagine the team gathers information from a wide range of sources. One very positive thing about this is that apparently some surveillance reports gets funneled upstairs. That shows there are exceptions to the seemingly impenetrable information bubble surrounding the Brethren.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Unbroken

Post by Unbroken » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:15 pm

1- Saves money

2- Fewer callings needed to staff shrinking wards

3- Church no longer responsible for the history: ‘what a shame your parents didn’t teach you about that’

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:15 pm

You asked for my thoughts
So it seems to me
That this "revelation"
Makes two more than three

Now if that conclusion
Is logically true
Then doesn't it follow
That one's more than two?

And of course of these choices