Church Members Without a Name

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Church Members Without a Name

Post by moksha » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Methodists, Baptists, Episcopalians, Catholics, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, and COJCOLDS. The last one isn't really a name, although it serves as the closest thing for those forbidden to call themselves Mormons or LDS. Those names have been purged from the COJCOLDS lexicon.

The Church without a name's media department would like all other media to drop the name Mormon and LDS but offer no replacement words other than a sentence long official title, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the COJCOLDS).This leaves no choice other than for the members to call themselves COJCOLDSers, since it would sound strange to call themselves former LDS or former Mormons.

Most likely everyone except card-carrying COJCOLDSers will continue to use the name Mormon. I imagine many COJCOLDSers will try to correct them and tell them the Mormon Church no longer exists. Non-Mormons may find this to be quizzical, but once the new pronunciation of COJCOLDS is known most likely they will be happy to refer to you as a COJCOLDS and accept you as a shining example of the COJCOLDS faith. BTW, it is pronounced codge colds.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: Church Members Without a Name

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 am

And Let's not for forget that Satan also triumphs when we use the name LDS. President Nelson said that responsible news outlets will now use the full name of the church in their reporting. I'm curious to know if KSL Channel 5 news spelled out the entire name on its banners. KUTV was full on LDS as usual.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:50 am

Why not:
COJCOLDSists
COJCOLDSics
or COJCOLDSalians?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:27 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:50 am
Why not:
COJCOLDSists
COJCOLDSics
or COJCOLDSalians?
There has to be a short standardized name or people will keep using LDS or Mormon. Offering a name change for the Church without offering a new name that members can call themselves seems short sided. Even if the desire to deep six the Mormon brand is based on wanting to end the self-inflicted stigma of Mormonism, members still need to call themselves something.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:42 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:27 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Why not:
COJCOLDSists
COJCOLDSics
or COJCOLDSalians?
There has to be a short standardized name or people will keep using LDS or Mormon. Offering a name change for the Church without offering a new name that members can call themselves seems short sided. Even if the desire to deep six the Mormon brand is based on wanting to end the self-inflicted stigma of Mormonism, members still need to call themselves something.
Gotcha.

How about....

The Members

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:11 pm

CJ COLDS sounds like a nice microbrew...

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Well since the problem is the devil laughing, maybe they need a name that will make the devil cry...

How about the 'anti-satanists'. That pretty much covers it.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Why not:
COJCOLDSists
COJCOLDSics
or COJCOLDSalians?
Add The onto the front of COJCOLDS and it becomes:

TCOJCOLDS

Let's add in some helpful and arbitrary phonetic spaces:

TCO J COLDS

Include on helpful vowel near the beginning:

TaCO J COLDS

Adjust the capitalization:

Taco J. Colds

And now you have a name that sounds like the cartoon sidekick of a detective. Yes, Taco J. Colds is the kind of wise-cracking spiritual leader that surely you will want to guide you in all of your ways.

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Going to take a page out of the book of he who must not be named lest Satan laugh in delight...

COJCOLDites
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 am

ETMOTCOJCOLDS

EVEN the members of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints

ETMO's for short

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:42 am
How about...

The Members
Okay. 8-)

A Catholic, a Muslim, and a Mormon walk into the Provo offices of NAMBLA. The Catholic goes to the counter and the receptionist asks his affiliation. "I'm a Catholic," he says. The receptionist informs him that they do not take Catholics. Next, the Muslim goes to the counter and meets with similar results. Finally, the Mormon approaches the counter and informs the receptionist that he is a "Member". The receptionist responds, "go right in Sir".
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:42 am
How about...

The Members
Okay. 8-)

A Catholic, a Muslim, and a Mormon walk into the Provo offices of NAMBLA. The Catholic goes to the counter and the receptionist asks his affiliation. "I'm a Catholic," he says. The receptionist informs him that they do not take Catholics. Next, the Muslim goes to the counter and meets with similar results. Finally, the Mormon approaches the counter and informs the receptionist that he is a "Member". The receptionist responds, "go right in Sir".
WTF? I had to google that one Penguin!

The Provo offices of NAMBLA!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Disgusting....