The Rebranding of Revelation

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

The Rebranding of Revelation

Post by jfro18 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:10 pm

I've been thinking this weekend a lot about RMN's push to not use Mormon/LDS and how it's being referred to as revelation.

My first thought was that this was revelation by focus group, where the church used surveys to determine that Mormon has a negative connotation to some and therefore wanted to end the word and focus on a name that most people haven't heard of and would be more open to.

But as has been mentioned here, RMN was pushing for this 28 years ago and just now got his chance to make it happen.

So what we have is "revelation" that amounts to a personal cause that he just never had the power to implement. It's not revelation from God, because if God wanted it in 1990 when RMN first started pushing for it, God surely would've let Hinkley or Monson know about it.

Which means that the Mormon church isn't being rebranded as much as the concept of revelation is.

I'm going to try and write more on this sometime during the week, but it really hits home how the church has worked so hard to redefine and rebrand what revelation is, so that the smallest organizational change can be presented as the biggest revelation from God. Just look at how Joseph defined revelation with ease and absolute authority that it was from God, and how every prophet since has watered down how it arrives, the message within, and the impact from it. It's undeniable and the lack of a magical worldview doesn't allow for any modern day leaders to claim anything that members will know is just too much of a stretch for the imagination.

And members eat it up, because when you're starving for true revelation for a church that claims to be full of it, you'll eat just about anything to keep going.

Palerider

Re: The Rebranding of Revelation

Post by Palerider » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:54 pm

I just saw something tonight that reminded me of an inspired/revealed program back in the 60's.

If you were unsure how to start a conversation with a non-member about the church you were supposed to ask this inspired question:

"What do you know about the Mormon church and would you like to know more?"

Those were the heady days of real revelation.

8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Palerider wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:54 pm
I just saw something tonight that reminded me of an inspired/revealed program back in the 60's.

If you were unsure how to start a conversation with a non-member about the church you were supposed to ask this inspired question:

"What do you know about the Mormon church and would you like to know more?"

Those were the heady days of real revelation.

8-)
Remember that movie: "It All Started with Thad" ???
We were showing that crap to members in the early 80's over in England. In fact we were using a printed survey to knock on door with and do street contacting that asked people if they knew the purpose of life.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Another new definition of revelation: waiting for the two guys in line ahead of you to die so you can finally get your way.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:40 pm
Another new definition of revelation: waiting for the two guys in line ahead of you to die so you can finally get your way.
Yep, Rusty has been waiting ~30 years for this "revelation."

Now that his predecessors have died, it is literally a "revelation" from the hallucinations of a 94-year-old man who likes to listen to himself talk, and likes to listen to the other geezers around him praise him. Truth is, all those other geezers are just waiting for him to die so they can have their time at the helm of the sinking ship of Ziontology, then they'll throw him under the bus and come up with their own hallucinations, um, I mean "revelations."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:19 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:36 pm
Boy do I. That little high-on-the-spectrum kid caused me a lot of confusion and shame. Confusion because it just doesn't work like that, and shame because that was the purpose of the film, to make us all look like gospel losers compared to this Ritalin-deprived primary kid.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:49 am

Forgive the overly long image, but Senator Jim Dabakis engaged in this hilarious trolling based on the rebranding:

I'm tempted to rent an apartment in Utah just to be able to cast an affirming vote for Senator Dabakis after this brilliant message.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:11 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:19 am
RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:36 pm
Boy do I. That little high-on-the-spectrum kid caused me a lot of confusion and shame. Confusion because it just doesn't work like that, and shame because that was the purpose of the film, to make us all look like gospel losers compared to this Ritalin-deprived primary kid.
Yes!

I went digging for the film online. There was reference to it on a COB site as just a film strip. It starred Gordon Jump. What I did find was another film called What About Thad, actually found that one on YouTube, one of those stellar BYU productions. It also stars Gordon Jump and it's a lot like the Cipher in the Snow movie, also on YT. All those films were very guilt targeted.

In some ways, those films about depressed kids that just fall over dead due to a lack of love by their church and communities...maybe we need those back because the suicide rate is an an all time high among the youth. Problem is, COB would never acknowledge they are part of the problem, especially with LGBT folks.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:49 am
Forgive the overly long image, but Senator Jim Dabakis engaged in this hilarious trolling based on the rebranding:

I'm tempted to rent an apartment in Utah just to be able to cast an affirming vote for Senator Dabakis after this brilliant message.
Brilliant is a good word for the post. Sometimes church leaders just seem to be asking to eat their own words. Doesn't it seem like a lack of humility is evident here? The leaders seem more and more insulated and out of touch. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:11 am

God is offended if nick names are used for his church according to RMN, and the use had slowly crept in over the years.

Dogma is what has crept into the church.

So RMN, if he is right about this, just confirmed that god is a passive aggressive god, he has been pissed off at all the other prophets for a couple hundred years, especially with hinkley and monson for their prolific promotion of the term mormon, but doesn't say anything to hinkley or monson except maybe not answering some prayers for them because he is offended.

RMN comes along and god finally can't take it anymore and explodes on Rusty telling him what the hell is pissing him off so much.

That is revalation, gods passive aggressive ways have been going on for a long time. Just look at one of the 10 commandments. Hey, moses im freaking tired of people taking my name in vain!