NEW TEMPLE RECOMMEND QUESTIONS!!!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Brent

NEW TEMPLE RECOMMEND QUESTIONS!!!

Post by Brent » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm

I have it on very good authority (Prophet's nephew's dogwalker's 3rd cousin-in-law) that the following questions are going to be added to the Temple Interview:

1. Do you use the full name of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in all your conversations and correspondence?

2. Have you or do you intend to attend a same-sex wedding?

3. Do you attend all your meetings and do home study as the Lord requests?

4. Have you read the Book of He Who Cannot be Named from cover to cover in the last 1 year?

I didn't want to believe it but I trust the source and it really, really feels, in my heart, that this is true.

Corsair

Re: NEW TEMPLE RECOMMEND QUESTIONS!!!

Post by Corsair » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:05 pm

I can honestly give a firm No to questions 1, 3, and 4. And I not only attended a same-sex wedding last year, I paid for it since it was my daughter. I even found and hired the officiant who performed a lovely ceremony and made sure it was certified with the state. Clearly I will be in the cross hairs of and angry prophet all too soon.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:05 pm
I can honestly give a firm No to questions 1, 3, and 4. And I not only attended a same-sex wedding last year, I paid for it since it was my daughter. I even found and hired the officiant who performed a lovely ceremony and made sure it was certified with the state. Clearly I will be in the cross hairs of and angry prophet all too soon.
If I were doing the interview I would say you passed with flying colors!
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:28 pm

oliblish wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:13 pm
Corsair wrote:
It really was a lovely ceremony and my new daughter-in-law is a delightful person.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Corsair wrote:
Noice!

I'll have one of these weddings in my future as well. My daughter and her partner have been together for 4 years now and will be coming out to Thanksgiving dinner. It will be interesting to see how both of the TBM mother-in-laws behave. There won't be any drama but maybe some minor facial expressions of discomfort.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Brent wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm
I have it on very good authority (Prophet's nephew's dogwalker's 3rd cousin-in-law) that the following questions are going to be added to the Temple Interview:

1. Do you use the full name of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in all your conversations and correspondence?

2. Have you or do you intend to attend a same-sex wedding?

3. Do you attend all your meetings and do home study as the Lord requests?

4. Have you read the Book of He Who Cannot be Named from cover to cover in the last 1 year?

I didn't want to believe it but I trust the source and it really, really feels, in my heart, that this is true.
Wait, is this a joke or a for real possibility?
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:28 pm
oliblish wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:13 pm
Corsair wrote:
It really was a lovely ceremony and my new daughter-in-law is a delightful person.
I can confirm because I attended. One of the best nights ever. I guess that means I don't qualify for a TR yet again. Sigh...
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:54 pm

You forgot number 5.

5. Do you affiliate with or lurk on any blogs or boards that have members who give out information on the church anonymously?

Answer:

"Bishop, would that include the essays on church history???" :shock:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 am

Arcturus wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:22 pm
Wait, is this a joke or a for real possibility?
It really is hard to tell.

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:19 am

After meeting with my source at an unnamed ice cream parlor I can further report:

"Do you allow your children to meet individually with their priesthood leaders for confessional purposes?"

And

"A missionary leaves SLC by train going 45mph in an easterly direction, another leaves going south by car at 65mph, which one will return from their mission early? Be sure to show your work!"

Are under serious consideration.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:51 am

Brent wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:19 am
"A missionary leaves SLC by train going 45mph in an easterly direction, another leaves going south by car at 65mph, which one will return from their mission early? Be sure to show your work!"

I think I can actually do the math on this one.

If you are leaving SLC by train going a liesurely 45 mph in any direction, then you are the victim of a time machine accident and are somehow stuck in time in the 1950s or before. Joseph F. Smith, Heber Grant, or David McKay is the prophet and it was all literally true at that time. You had a solidly believing family who was willing and able to send you on a mission since missionary service was not a commandment at that time. If you end up in the south, you will have the issue of needed to casualy avoid teaching any people of African descent since their LDS experience will be a thoroughly second class experience. However, you will be faced with largely with conservative Protestants and all of the old school apologetic arguments will actually work well. You will have fairly decent success and as a result you are very unlikely to leave the church at all.

On the other hand if you are leaving the MTC going south by car at 65 mph then you are on I-15 and are the the unlucky soul who got called to the Provo Utah mission. While you will will enjoy some low level adoration and nightly dinner appointments, the primary enemy will be soul-crushing boredom. You will not have experiences involving tracting, but will have sky-high expectations of your obedience. You will see the sniping politics of virtue signalling within your mission and the church at large while harboring this deep seated fear that you were not righteous enough to be called to speak Spanish in Argentina. You will have reasonable baptismal success, but it will feel hollow, particularly as internet connected investigators and friendly apostates hint about temple videos, gospel topic essays, and the plight of LGBT members of the LDS church. You have as much as a 50% chance to go inactive or leave the church within 5 years of returning home.

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Brent wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:19 am
After meeting with my source at an unnamed ice cream parlor I can further report:

"Do you allow your children to meet individually with their priesthood leaders for confessional purposes?"

And

:lol: :lol:
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin