Mormon - the new N-word?!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

Mormon - the new N-word?!

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:50 am

Saw this from a friend on IG yesterday:
"My daughter attended Seminary this morning where General Conference was discussed. The point of the discussion was centered on moratorium of the world 'Mormon." My daughter was told by the teacher, that calling someone a Mormon is tantamount to 'calling a black person by the N word.'"
I think/hope this was a very isolated incident by one very ignorant seminary teacher. However, I could see how the church could use this in the future to try and play the persecuted victim card. It would be an attempt to paint themselves the victims to draw attention away from all the bigotry they have dished out against color, gender and gays in the past and recently.

Pair this with the new narrative that the church is not growing but will be small in numbers because of the wicked, it's a perfect setup to drive a new 'us vs. them' polarizing tribal view. It helps drive the faithful TBMs to hunker down and draw closer together, feeling special about something again and providing some drama to validate and justify their world view, filtering out logic and facts.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Corsair

Re: Mormon - the new N-word?!

Post by Corsair » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:59 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:50 am
Saw this from a friend on IG yesterday:
"My daughter attended Seminary this morning where General Conference was discussed. The point of the discussion was centered on moratorium of the world 'Mormon." My daughter was told by the teacher, that calling someone a Mormon is tantamount to 'calling a black person by the N word.'"
This is such an astonishingly bad tactic and long term strategy. They are choosing to be offended by a word long considered a respectful and accurate diminuitive by the Christian world and embraced by members of TCOJCOLDS. In effect, this painfully misguided seminary teacher is handing a ton of rhetorical ammunition to everyone around him. He will inevitably be a whiny crybaby full righteous indignation whenver someone slips up.

Such hardliners will exist around us and it's worth confronting them with humor. I recommend that we call the "Keystone of our religion" the "Book of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". Be sure to say the name of the church quickly with strategically placed mumbling to get through all eleven syllables as quickly as possible.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 am

I mean doesn't everyone remember the NAACP's famous, "I'm a N-." campaign? Or their official news portal www.n-newsroom.org? Or their world famous N- Tabernacle Choir? Sorry, any Mormon that tries that on me is just going to get laughed at... hard.
Last edited by Dravin on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 am

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1997/11/are ... n?lang=eng
As he did so, one of the men approached him [Joseph F. Smith] with a pistol, declaring that it was his duty to exterminate every Mormon he came in contact with. As he pointed his pistol at Joseph, he demanded, “Are you a Mormon?”

Without fear or hesitation, Joseph answered, “Yes siree; dyed in the wool; true blue, through and through.”

The man was so startled by the courage of young Joseph F. Smith that he dropped his pistol and said, “Well, you are the [expletive deleted] pleasantest man I ever met! Shake, young fellow, I am glad to see a man that stands up for his convictions.”
The question, “Are you a Mormon?” asks more than just what religion you are. It gives you the chance to explain that you’re a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and what that means to you. It inquires about who you are and how you feel about your beliefs. And, ironically enough, the question can be an answer, too. When the question is asked, you’ll know that people recognize that you, like Joseph F. Smith, stand apart from the world.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:33 am

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 am
https://www.lds.org/new-era/1997/11/are ... n?lang=eng
As he did so, one of the men approached him [Joseph F. Smith] with a pistol, declaring that it was his duty to exterminate every Mormon he came in contact with. As he pointed his pistol at Joseph, he demanded, “Are you a Mormon?”
Perhaps JFS didn't have the further light and knowledge that RSM has? After all, wasn't JFS the one who discovered the first version of the first vision and tore the page out of the JS history and hid it in his vault? Poor prophet, acting as a flawed man.

Also, poor ETB, singing that song "I am a Mormon Boy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7n3GuiX5E

Are we not all so very blessed to have dudes like RSM who has the mostest bestest light and knowledge to guild us in these latter latter days? He shall never lead us astray like those other prophets obviously did!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 am

I want to scream every time I hear someone say this is revelation.

No one wants to talk about why RMN was pounding this subject 28 years ago as the leaders not only ignored him but worked against him.

Does that not tell us everything we need to know about the truth claims of this church and revelation?

:evil:

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:02 am

Dravin wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 am
I mean doesn't everyone remember the NCAAP's famous, "I'm a N-." campaign? Or their official news portal www.n-newsroom.org? Or their world famous N- Tabernacle Choir? Sorry, any Mormon that tries that on me is just going to get laughed at... hard.
Ha ha ha!

I think I have that NTC album on cassette tape!

Let the Mormons argue amongst themselves the nuance of their fairy tale!

The rest of the world just doesn't care. At all!

I hope Russell continues with this crazy stuff. It's really creating a whole new level of cog dis. Please Russell, bring back the one piece garments! The youth will love it!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:02 am
I hope Russell continues with this crazy stuff. It's really creating a whole new level of cog dis. Please Russell, bring back the one piece garments! The youth will love it!
That would be Awesome!

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:57 am

I am having a hard time getting worked up about this it seems so trivial. But the church is good at making trivial things important
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:09 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
I think/hope this was a very isolated incident by one very ignorant seminary teacher.
I hope it's isolated too, but I've heard/seen at least two instances of it: This seminary teacher, and a troll on Reddit sending Private Messages to multiple people on that one sub who were using the dreaded mormon word.

Honestly, this tactic is even more idiotic that New-Name-Nelson's claim to "revelation."

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 am
I want to scream every time I hear someone say this is revelation.

No one wants to talk about why RMN was pounding this subject 28 years ago as the leaders not only ignored him but worked against him.

Does that not tell us everything we need to know about the truth claims of this church and revelation?
Yep, it's so blatantly obvious to anyone who has the ability to think rationally at all. Revelation: One of the lard's "anointed" waits around ~30 years for all of his superiors to die off, then brings up one of his pet peeves as "revelation." Said "revelation" is in direct contradiction to something his previous two superiors spend millions if not billions of dollars to advertise.

If someone attempts to call me out for using mormon there will be no holding back pointing out the blatant contradiction that they have witnessed in their lifetime.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 am

Sooo.... Am I no longer ExMormon? Is that now an offensive term? Or is it appropiate because I am a minion of Satan?

I'm so confused. This 'revelation' has messed up my identity all over again.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 am
Sooo.... Am I no longer ExMormon? Is that now an offensive term? Or is it appropiate because I am a minion of Satan?

I'm so confused. This 'revelation' has messed up my identity all over again.
You can still be an ex-Mormon. Now there are just 16 million more of them. :)

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:16 pm

This is just stupid. With that in mind, I’m pretty sure BYUI will make this into some total obscene offense with punishment of being kicked out of school. It will be worse than wearing two earrings on the same ear, wearing capris pants, or having a beard. It will become so offense to call someone a MotherFing mormon. The motherfing part won’t be as blasphemous as Mormon. Everyone else on earth will roll their eyes.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:52 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:09 am
...New-Name-Nelson's...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:04 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:57 am
I am having a hard time getting worked up about this it seems so trivial. But the church is good at making trivial things important
Making trivial things important seems to be is 50% to 100% of what churches do (depending on the church and one's point of view.)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
I could see how the church could use this in the future to try and play the persecuted victim card. It would be an attempt to paint themselves the victims....
The M07m0n church seems to specialize in picking fights and then when they get hit back they turn into boobs and "waa waas".

They've done it from the beginning. They're always eager to tell about how some bunch of bad guys persecuted them but they don't want anyone to know what they did to start that conflict or bring it on themselves.

This name change thing is just another invention to be able to detect the good guys from the bad guys.

"How shall I know that you are true good guys?"

"By our giving unto you the true name of the church you received in the Garden of Eden."

"Has it a name?"

"It has."

"Will you give it to me?"

I cannot, for it is the old new name and I have made a covenant not to say it, but this is the abbreviation of the new new name: COJCOLDS."

"And this is the pronunciation guide: codge colds"

"Wait, you're telling me the name given me in the Garden is no longer valid? How will I know that you are true good guys?"

"Ok, look....just forget the Garden thing, ok? That was just a corruption that crept in that needs to be corrected. We're giving you the new new name."

"But God gave me the new name."

"I know but it was morning and God wasn't completely lucid right then....it happens from time to time. Don't let it throw you. We're still the good guys."

"I don't know. I feel kind of weird inside and confused...I liked the old new name."

"Look, I'm telling you if you use that old new name, God will be upset. I'll consider it an insult. You won't be able to get a temple recommend. None of your neighbors will like you anymore. Eve will think you're an apostate and working with Lucifer. And she'll be taken away from you along with all your kids and given to another man. You'll be a lone man in the wilderness. You may even lose your job..."

"Alright...alright....I just have one question."

"What's that?"

"If this is what the good guys do, how bad can the bad guys really be?" :shock:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:19 am

Palerider wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 pm
This name change thing is just another invention to be able to detect the good guys from the bad guys.
Ayep. It's already started. From President Nelson's talk:
Responsible media will be sympathetic in responding to our request.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Palerider wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 pm
And a new opportunity to flop for a persecution call and a demand for greater so-called religious freedom. "Mom, I stuck my finger in his mouth and he bit it. Punish him!"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:16 pm

I just love watching Mormons try to out Morm each other and prophets try to out proph.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?