Hey, is the name Mormon up for grabs now?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Hey, is the name Mormon up for grabs now?

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Since they're working so hard to distance themselves from it there should be no copyright issues with someone else using it, right? I think it would be great to create a new "church" called The Mormon Church. After all, thechurchofjesuschristoflatterhyphendaysaints certainly wouldn't have any reason to protect a word that is an affront to Christ and a triumph for Satan, right? Right?

My Mormon Church would actually worship Mormon because He would want His church to bear His name.

Reproductions of this painting will hang front-and-center in our chapels:
This painting memorializes the time our god actually visited the Americas and condescended to live among mortals as one of them. We see him depicted here as he is about to free himself from his mortal tabernacle, prophesying that he will come again some day (spoiler: that day is September 21, 2037). It will require a lot of money to build the sky ark that he will use to take us home to his home in the Oort Cloud, so let's all dig deep to make it happen.

Also, one of our tenets is that you must make a pilgrimage to the place where Mormongod laid down His life. Whether you choose to make your pilgrimage to New York State or the Yucatan Peninsula is entirely up to you, as long as you do it on one of our official tours.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Re: Hey, is the name Mormon up for grabs now?

Post by Palerider » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 pm
Since they're working so hard to distance themselves from it there should be no copyright issues with someone else using it, right? I think it would be great to create a new "church" called The Mormon Church. After all, thechurchofjesuschristoflatterhyphendaysaints certainly wouldn't have any reason to protect a word that is an affront to Christ and a triumph for Satan, right? Right?

My Mormon Church would actually worship Mormon because He would want His church to bear His name.

Reproductions of this painting will hang front-and-center in our chapels:
This painting memorializes the time our god actually visited the Americas and condescended to live among mortals as one of them. We see him depicted here as he is about to free himself from his mortal tabernacle, prophesying that he will come again some day (spoiler: that day is September 21, 2037). It will require a lot of money to build the sky ark that he will use to take us home to his home in the Oort Cloud, so let's all dig deep to make it happen.

Also, one of our tenets is that you must make a pilgrimage to the place where Mormongod laid down His life. Whether you choose to make your pilgrimage to New York State or the Yucatan Peninsula is entirely up to you, as long as you do it on one of our official tours.
:D :lol: :lol:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 pm
Hey, that's just in time to save us all from the Unix 2038 rollover. I like this Mormon god. What a guy!

What will be in the ark?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:18 am

:D

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 am

This picture of Thor assisting his father Odin during the battle with the Giants of Jötunheim is very inspiring.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 am

Book collector John Hajicek (strangite) has been criticizing the mormon name revelation and calling himself the last mormon with hashtag #thelastmormon. On his FB page he argues with all the old Brighamites that come display their big Utah Mormon judgemental attitudes about it. It's quite entertaining.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1492972721

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1492972721

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:06 am

I just couldn't resist.....

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:55 am

Hermey wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:06 am
I just couldn't resist.....
Thank you for not resisting that hilarious temptation.

So what happens if some clever fundamentalist group whole-heartedly adopts the nomenclature "Mormon"? Warren Jeffs' misogynistic successor happily tells his polygamous followers, "We are all Mormon now, just like our founder Joseph Smith!" They start putting out press releases and proclaim to the world that they are the True Mormons.

What can Russell and Dallin possibly say in this case? They have no legal hold on the word and have soundly cast aside "Mormon" as much as they possibly could. Do they just get to enjoy the spectacle of inbred, FLDS upstarts taking over a word that was plastered all over Times Square just a few Christmas' ago? By Russell's thin rhetoric on Sunday it would be supposed that adopting "Satan's Major Victory" as their official nickname would spell doom for the FLDS. But we know it won't.

Instead, this would be a brand new PR catastrophe for Russell, Dallin, Henry, and the other twelve guys. Every mission president in the English speaking world would have a nightmare of dealing with the poor teenagers who have to live with the fallout of this new regime of an official church name.

Bring it on, you plucky polygamists! Show those apostate monogamists how the true followers of Joseph, Brigham, John and Wilford are really supposed to refer to themselves!

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:18 am

To answer the up for grabs question, it seems to me that the ability to refer to themselves as Mormons is in the hands of the non-Brighamite sects now. I suppose when some gentile inquires about the Utah Mormons from now on we can tell them those so-called "Mormons" are just a bunch of polygamists and have nothing to do with the official COJCOLDS.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha