BillBoard -- LMAO

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

BillBoard -- LMAO

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 am

I have to pay more attention to some of the things going on.

I'm driving about 8am northbound on I-15 in SL County headed toward Downtown SLC, and off on the east side of the road about 3000 south I see a billboard: "Know your Religion: Mormon Stories...."

I found myself smiling and laughing. How Long has THAT been there????! I have no idea.

There are all these Christian boards up asking people to read the bible, make the phone call to learn about God, and everything else. A lot of those are trying to reach LDS people and get them out of the Ensign and into the Bible! And here is the Mormon Stories going after it as well.

I was laughing and smiling the whole way.

It would be SOOOOOO interesting to be a fly on the wall during one of the think-tank meetings when Kirton and McConkie get together to plan out the public relations agenda of the church to help them stop loosing members like crazy.

just sayin....

BriansThoughtMirror

Re: BillBoard -- LMAO

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:56 pm

I was really surprised to see that, too! Honestly, I have mixed feelings about that particular message. It feels a little deceptive. Something like "Real Mormons With Real Questions- Mormon Stories" would have sat better with me. But, that's just my impression, and I'm sure otheres see it differently. Oh, well.
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:16 pm

It has only been there a few weeks. John Dehlin and Mormon Stories put it there. Previously, it was over by the 49th street galleria for a short time.
Many may remember the Know Your Religion education series that went on in the church for many years. This sign is a play off that terminology.
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:28 pm

There was a picture of it on reddit a few weeks ago.

https://www.mormonstories.org/billboard/

From Mormon Stories website:
Urgent! After being turned down by two billboard companies sympathetic to LDS church concerns, Mormon Stories Podcast was recently offered a prime billboard location spot along I-15 for 2 months (September 15 through October 15, 2018) at $5,800/month. Thanks to donor generosity, $14,905 was raised and we signed the contract for two months.

Today, the billboard company has now offered to let us keep the billboard placement through December 2018 (after which it will be converted to a digital billboard). This would require us to raise an additional $6,345.

I remember going to a fireside where the featured speaker spoke about an archeology dig where the team found a mummy and upon digging it out they found some sort of religious clothing with symbols on it. The majority of the team didn't know what the symbols were but the LDS guys sure did. They were temple symbols.

Another one we went to spoke about an experience where an LDS women was driving her car when another car pulled out in front of her. She quickly prayed and her car avoided hitting the other car when she realized it had passed through the car as she prayed.

With stories like that, it's no wonder they cancelled the Know Your Religion Series.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg