Radio Free Mormon vs. Elder Oaks

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Just This Guy

Re: Radio Free Mormon vs. Elder Oaks

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:10 pm

Interesting theory. It would be consistent with Q15 logic. IF you make Mormon evil, then you can get people to avoid things like:

Mormon Stories
Mormon Think
Mormon Leaks
Mormon Discussion
New Order Mormon
etc.

They would avoid a lot of bad expose that way.

Now if only they could get people to avoid that one problematic book with "Mormon" in it's title...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:09 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:10 pm
Now if only they could get people to avoid that one problematic book with "Mormon" in it's title...
It would be hilarious to me if a lot of Mormons became so averse to the word "Mormon" that they started avoiding their own scriptures.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:44 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:09 am
Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:10 pm
It would be hilarious to me if a lot of Mormons became so averse to the word "Mormon" that they started avoiding their own scriptures.
Kind of like my friend who could not make himself say the word "God," even in a talk or prayer. He substituted "deity" just to keep his distance from saying anything that could possibly sound like taking, you know, His name, in vain.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:38 pm

"We need to be cautious as we seek truth and choose sources for that search. We should not consider secular prominence or authority as qualifies sources of truth." Elder Oaks October 2018 Conference
Attachments
FB_IMG_1541275085131.jpg
FB_IMG_1541275085131.jpg (32.35 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?