What would you expect if the church was true?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
1smartdodog

Re: What would you expect if the church was true?

Post by 1smartdodog » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:21 am

I would say the church is true if it made me happy. If I enjoyed going. If my family benifited from it.

To me a church should be a sanctuary from the world. But to me it is more stress, more guilt and more aggravation.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:01 pm

I would expect the church to have a huge impact on the world, if it were true. Instead, a tiny fraction of 1% of the world's population have even heard of satan's favorite word: 'mormon'.

Also, missionaries would actually go serve people. If the church were true, missionaries would be out in poor countries giving immunizations, digging wells, etc. Instead missions are all about capping 18 years of brainwashing so that when they come home they pay tithing for the rest of their lives.

Hogbreath

Post by Hogbreath » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:29 pm

Have the prophet do an Elijah challenge. He can make an alter and call down fire and say, "there is a God in SLC!"
36 And at the time of the offering of the oblation, Elijah the prophet came near and said, “O Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel, and that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your word. 37 Answer me, O Lord, answer me, that this people may know that you, O Lord, are God

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:34 pm

This reminded me of a Mormon Expression podcast of several years back. I still like to listen to these once in a while.

Episode 281: Top 10 Things You Would Expect To See If The Church Were Actually True

http://johnlarsen.org/podcast/Archive/M ... ion281.mp3

Most of the old episodes are available here:

http://johnlarsen.org/mormon-expression/
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:20 am

I would expect it to not be so complicated and I would enjoy it.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:04 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:49 pm
To me, what's done is done. Truth from this point on would be to fess up regarding inaccuracies and cease any further falsehoods. I believe the Church can be a force for good in the world and offer spiritual guidance for its members. I think something can be as good as gold even if it did not start out that way. There is no need to wish for elements of truth claims when the simple truth of goodness can be forged anew.
Good point. The church could become more true, starting today and going forward. So why don't they?

To become a more true church, I think they could start by telling the truth. About everything. Including admitting that they have no different methods for discerning truth than the average church member does, no special visitations. Stop the false beliefs members have, stop the half-truths.. Then move forward from there.

Also, embracing science as a form of 'modern revelation' would be nice, should not be that difficult given so many church leaders have been trained in STEM, and those with advanced degrees should understand the scientific method.