Treasure Digging Podcast

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

Treasure Digging Podcast

Post by consiglieri » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:28 pm

A new RFM podcast went up yesterday titled, "Treasure Digging with Joseph Smith and John Steinbeck."

I think it is a fun romp and hopefully worth a listen.

I may have uncovered a nugget or two in the process.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... steinbeck/

All the Best!

--RFM

1smartdodog

Re: Treasure Digging Podcast

Post by 1smartdodog » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:33 am

I found it amusing. Thanks for all your time and research you put into these podcasts :D
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:26 am

That was fascinating, Consig. The Steinbeck similarities show how common these beliefs were. I even encountered them on my mission in Texas in the late '70s. If someone reported a ghost sighting people would show up at the spot the next day with picks and shovels.

I also enjoyed the discussion of how the church is constantly scrambling to rewrite their history when unpleasant facts can no longer be hidden. Here's an example:

From a book written in 2000 by two BYU religion professors:
“David Whitmer maintained the prophet used an oval-shaped, chocolate-colored seer stone slightly larger than an egg… Such an explanation is, in our judgement, simply fiction created for the purpose of demeaning Joseph Smith and to undermine the validity of the revelations he received after translation the Book of Mormon” (Ostler and McConkie, Revelations of the Restoration, Deseret Book, 2000: 89-98)
From the Book of Mormon Translation essay 15 years later:
The other instrument, which Joseph Smith discovered in the ground years before he retrieved the gold plates, was a small oval stone, or “seer stone.” As a young man during the 1820s, Joseph Smith, like others in his day, used a seer stone to look for lost objects and buried treasure. As Joseph grew to understand his prophetic calling, he learned that he could use this stone for the higher purpose of translating scripture.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:40 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:26 am
That was fascinating, Consig. The Steinbeck similarities show how common these beliefs were. I even encountered them on my mission in Texas in the late '70s. If someone reported a ghost sighting people would show up at the spot the next day with picks and shovels.

I also enjoyed the discussion of how the church is constantly scrambling to rewrite their history when unpleasant facts can no longer be hidden. Here's an example:

From a book written in 2000 by two BYU religion professors:
“David Whitmer maintained the prophet used an oval-shaped, chocolate-colored seer stone slightly larger than an egg… Such an explanation is, in our judgement, simply fiction created for the purpose of demeaning Joseph Smith and to undermine the validity of the revelations he received after translation the Book of Mormon” (Ostler and McConkie, Revelations of the Restoration, Deseret Book, 2000: 89-98)
From the Book of Mormon Translation essay 15 years later:
The other instrument, which Joseph Smith discovered in the ground years before he retrieved the gold plates, was a small oval stone, or “seer stone.” As a young man during the 1820s, Joseph Smith, like others in his day, used a seer stone to look for lost objects and buried treasure. As Joseph grew to understand his prophetic calling, he learned that he could use this stone for the higher purpose of translating scripture.
Love this. Nice find for Hagoth!
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:42 pm

I love the closing song. Not the greatest movie ever, but the opening song to Muppet Treasure Island was great.

The narration was very good. On par with a professionally make audio book.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:09 am

Great podcast, Consiglieri...... as always.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi