Reefer Madness

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Reefer Madness

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:02 am

According to the local TV news, the passing of Proposition 2 was the first time Utah voters have voted against the will of the church. To this I say:

But Jim Dabakis was cautionary in reminding people that the state (i.e. the political branch of the church) still has plenty of room to implement the law in a way that makes it difficult to impossible for suffering patients to get access to cannabis despite it's legality. For one thing, they have already specified that they only want it distributed in the form of colorless cubes packaged in bubble packs that will be distributed by the fewest possible state controlled outlets. I have a feeling that the future of cannabis in Utah, much like the history of alcohol, will be determined by the state/religion's ability to channel the profits where they want.

In the meantime, it's raining opioids.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Re: Reefer Madness

Post by jfro18 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:16 am

I am sure by the time this is implemented it will be watered down a ton, but it is so nice to see the church fail here. For me, that's the victory -- the implementation of whatever law they do for medical marijuana will be a longer process, but I'll take the church being unable to flex their muscle with the members any day.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:21 am

Yes, it was disappointing to see the status quo vote straight republican; would be nice to see some shift there, but seeing props get some attention and see the public opinion expressed is good. Now we'll see the church broke legislators F up the proposal to make it in their own image.

I thought we would have seen a couple more states legalize, but just MI this round, still that is some national progress.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:32 am

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:16 am
I am sure by the time this is implemented it will be watered down a ton, but it is so nice to see the church fail here. For me, that's the victory -- the implementation of whatever law they do for medical marijuana will be a longer process, but I'll take the church being unable to flex their muscle with the members any day.
This is my favorite thing. I really enjoy the evidence that star systems are slipping through fingers, because it indicates that my world is becoming safer. I almost feel bad about barely caring that the vote went the way I thought it should.

Now I'm looking forward to April's Presidential Grandpa Lecture. I wonder how veiled the Prop 2 references will be.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:53 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:21 am
Yes, it was disappointing to see the status quo vote straight republican; would be nice to see some shift there, but seeing props get some attention and see the public opinion expressed is good. Now we'll see the church broke legislators F up the proposal to make it in their own image.
Hey now, let's give the minions just a tiny bit of credit: They didn't ALL vote straight Republican. there's a couple new Dem.s in there, and at this point looks like Love it going to be ousted. (OK, maybe my confirmation bias is taking over because I'm happy that Love might be out... :mrgreen: [fingerscrossed] )

Prop 2 is at least a good sign. It will let believers know that they can oppose the LDS-Inc. theocracy and not have the world end. So... When the kooks up on "the hill" screw up the prop 2 legalization, maybe we can vote those kooks out next round...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 am

If Utah makes it difficult to acquire, couldn't someone buy in Vegas and consume in Utah?

Or will the Prophet Police search and inspect for white and delightsome cubes?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:18 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:53 am
Hey now, let's give the minions just a tiny bit of credit: They didn't ALL vote straight Republican. there's a couple new Dem.s in there, and at this point looks like Love it going to be ousted. (OK, maybe my confirmation bias is taking over because I'm happy that Love might be out... :mrgreen: [fingerscrossed] )
Yes Fluff, you are right, there is some hope there for Ben to gain some ground, fingers crossed here as well. I don't affiliate with any party but I do vote against Republican incumbents, at least in this state.
Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 am
I've been getting chewy and delightsome cubes from my brothers and sisters out of state mail order for the past couple of years, so I've never had to make the drive. There used to be a sting op running on I80 near Evanston, catching Utahns with illegal fireworks and mini bottles, but that was shut down years ago. I haven't heard of any issues driving to our neighboring states to get it and bring it back, my neighbor has done it a couple of times to CO. This new prop, I would hope, would lesson the risk even more.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:01 pm

This is probably what TBMs think, at least the ones who voted against the prop:
Prop2Temple.JPG
Prop2Temple.JPG (57.12 KiB) Viewed 8487 times
--Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:02 am
But Jim Dabakis was cautionary in reminding people that the state (i.e. the political branch of the church) still has plenty of room to implement the law in a way that makes it difficult to impossible for suffering patients to get access to cannabis despite it's legality. For one thing, they have already specified that they only want it distributed in the form of colorless cubes packaged in bubble packs that will be distributed by the fewest possible state controlled outlets.
The former LDS Church will be able to bend the legislature to its will.
I have a feeling that the future of cannabis in Utah, much like the history of alcohol, will be determined by the state/religion's ability to channel the profits where they want.
It will be like getting in on the ground floor. Possibly LDS-run companies like Nu Skin and Melaleuca could be given concessions in return for a 10% tithing guarantee. Alternately, it could be relegated to a closet in the Utah State Liquor Stores and staffed by a pharmacist.

The amazing thing is that the majority of the Utah voters ignored the will of the Brethren in favor of compassion.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:02 am
But Jim Dabakis was cautionary in reminding people that the state (i.e. the political branch of the church) still has plenty of room to implement the law in a way that makes it difficult to impossible for suffering patients to get access to cannabis despite it's legality. For one thing, they have already specified that they only want it distributed in the form of colorless cubes packaged in bubble packs that will be distributed by the fewest possible state controlled outlets. I have a feeling that the future of cannabis in Utah, much like the history of alcohol, will be determined by the state/religion's ability to channel the profits where they want.

In the meantime, it's raining opioids.
Would there be any issue in obtaining the medical MJ from NV or CO and bringing it in to UT for medical use? If the state makes it difficult to obtain despite its legality, other markets exploiting the legal loopholes will certainly open up.
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Arcturus wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:28 pm
Would there be any issue in obtaining the medical MJ from NV or CO and bringing it in to UT for medical use? If the state makes it difficult to obtain despite its legality, other markets exploiting the legal loopholes will certainly open up.
So we know with alcohol the COB had the hill put together lots of useless rules, like the Zion Curtain or no sweet drinks in grocery stores that could temp young ones to think it's soda pop and they become alcoholics overnight because they saw a mixed drink being mixed. Same thing will likely happen with MJ where makers will be unable to make gummies because they look too much like candy. Where possession won't be illegal for prescription holders, even if they bought out of state, it might be if what they bought looks like candy. I could see some BS silliness like that coming down from the COB/legislature.

They may as well put an import tax on Fruit of the Loom and other non COB underwear.
--Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:01 pm

Michigan voted to legalize recreational marijuana. I'm guessing that the Michigan Elders will hold stake-wide seances to oppose this legalization.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:54 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 am

White and delightsome? Perhaps this was the fruit on the tree which Lehi saw? :lol: :lol:

moksha wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:30 pm
The amazing thing is that the majority of the Utah voters ignored the will of the Brethren in favor of compassion.
This is huge!!!^^^ I wonder if they will try to gaslight everyone into thinking that they weren't really that against it all along. Or maybe they will call us all to repentance next GC. :D
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:40 pm

MoPag wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:54 am
Or maybe they will call us all to repentance next GC. :D
Maybe one of those new restoration revelations from Pres. Nelson will be a specific recommend question, like Jesus used to ask his disciples in the original church.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:52 am

Can I just say how Fing cool it would be to have CA rules for booze and MJ in UT!?

I just got back from San Diego, going in a grocery store is a treat, walking up and down 3-4 rows of pretty bottles and cans. Even in a small Vons grocery story the selection is better than a UT liquor store. They had a dedicated liquor product manager there and he helped me quickly find what I was looking for. Also, I tried something new, free MJ delivery! Yup, now you can get your jazz cabbage/edibles/gummies/whatever and your pizza right to your door! I bought some CDB pills for DW for her aching hips and some gummies for me. What a great vacation, hanging out on the beaches in the best mood ever! Now that's some kickass adulting! If Cali wasn't so stinking expensive, I'd live there.

And if you want the best pancakes in the world, be sure to visit The Coffee Cup in La Jolla.
--Douglas Adams