Question about LDS Church

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Not Buying It

Re: Question about LDS Church

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 am

Palerider wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:46 am
Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:18 am
...he knew he would have broad support from Mormons there simply because he is a prominent Mormon. It was the only state in the whole nation he could absolutely count on getting elected if he ran for the Senate.... and the good people of Utah fell for it.
And Mormons fall for this stuff because in their undying quest for legitimacy and popularity, they are enthralled with Mormon celebrity and Mormon hero worship.

Mormon Living magazine feeds them a constant diet of adoration of church leadership and Mormon celebrities. It's disgusting. Can anyone imagine this happening in the ancient church???
Very true. That's a great point. Most of you whippersnappers are too young to remember all the oohing and aahing over the Osmonds back in the Seventies, but I'm not. And Church members thought that Steve Young was the greatest quarterback ever just because he was Mormon. It's incredibly shallow to think that it is in any way a reflection on the legitimacy of your Church because some of the members happen to become famous - after all, there are way more famous Scientologists than Mormons - does that make Scientology more legitimate than whatever we call the Church these days?
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:27 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 am
It's incredibly shallow to think that it is in any way a reflection on the legitimacy of your Church because some of the members happen to become famous - after all, there are way more famous Scientologists than Mormons - does that make Scientology more legitimate than whatever we call the Church these days?
Oh yeah..., if Tom Cruise is a member, it's just gotta be true. 8-) :lol:

And lest we forget, it's when Emperor Constantine became a "Christian" that the church really went off the rails anciently.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

alas

Post by alas » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:09 pm

Palerider wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:27 am
Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 am
It's incredibly shallow to think that it is in any way a reflection on the legitimacy of your Church because some of the members happen to become famous - after all, there are way more famous Scientologists than Mormons - does that make Scientology more legitimate than whatever we call the Church these days?
Oh yeah..., if Tom Cruise is a member, it's just gotta be true. 8-) :lol:

And lest we forget, it's when Emperor Constantine became a "Christian" that the church really went off the rails anciently.
Yeah, Constantine didn’t want to come back as an angleworm, so he told the holy fathers to do away with any doctrine of reincarnation. When I have told good believing Mormons that reincarnation was one of the plain and precious teachings that the corrupt leaders of the Catholic Church did away with, they about have a cow. The other plain and precious truth that historians and archeologists are finding evidence for is that women held the priesthood in the early church. Seems Joseph missed a few things in the restoration.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:48 pm
Palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:29 pm
In my opinion, if the circumstances were right, the church wouldn't wait for the coming of Christ. They would take over in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it, "Coming" or no coming. Christ or no Christ.

Mormons have been living with the "White Horse" prophecy sense JSj. The idea of them riding into rescue the nation from the government so they can take over is ingrained to the core of Mormon doctrine, even if they don't want to admit it.
This is SOOOO SOOOO true! There are groups of hard-core LDS TBMs out there (preppers and conspiracy people) who hold the line still. And, they are of the age where some of them are in leadership roles....be that HC, HPL, or even SP and BishopBRICKS. I use to associate with some of those groups before my shelf crashed, and looking back its frightening.

It groups like these who often judge others with harsh eyes.

I do want to say something on the flip-side of giving and receiving help from the church. I've also sat in counsels where some asked for help, and being given the help was contingent on their meeting certain criteria. An example was given in this thread of help being given, and also where it wasn't. I see both sides--people who wanted help but were quite slothful, and those who tried and were given help. I've also seen slothful people given help and those who were trying (as far as LDS attendance is concerned) and not given much help. This incongruity and inconsistency bothers me. It depends completely on the local leadership. Totally....

This church isn't interested in helping people. During my TBM days, I've paid massive amounts of money into the church. Its gone. But I do know with the money flow the church has, what they give back as far as humanitarian aid is ridiculous.

In truth, the policy of the LDS church is Pray, Pay and Obey. Whether you have the basic necessities of life doesn't matter---you had better just follow the party line.

With the MILDLY possible exception being Uchdorf, I don't think there are any Q15 who have experienced anything remotely close to poverty and real hunger. Am I wrong in this?

Random

Post by Random » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:09 pm
Yeah, Constantine didn’t want to come back as an angleworm, so he told the holy fathers to do away with any doctrine of reincarnation. When I have told good believing Mormons that reincarnation was one of the plain and precious teachings that the corrupt leaders of the Catholic Church did away with, they about have a cow. The other plain and precious truth that historians and archeologists are finding evidence for is that women held the priesthood in the early church. Seems Joseph missed a few things in the restoration.
Wait. What? Do you have a source(s) for this? I'm intrigued.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 pm
In truth, the policy of the LDS church is Pray, Pay and Obey. Whether you have the basic necessities of life doesn't matter---you had better just follow the party line.

With the MILDLY possible exception being Uchdorf, I don't think there are any Q15 who have experienced anything remotely close to poverty and real hunger. Am I wrong in this?
I suspect you are right. Some of them had high paying jobs didn't they? (Nelson was a heart surgeon, Oaks a judge; don't know about the others - except that the Silver Fox was a pilot.)
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:21 pm
Does the LDS Church (COJCOLDS) believe each person has the right to live a life of dignity with access to basic necessities in a safe and sustainable environment?
They only plan financially for the future. They won't care if Earth hits 3+ degrees C. Only if it hits their pocket book. Once the world's economies slow down and retract due to climate change and mass migration, then they will care.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens