Any good resources on Deutero Isaiah?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
sparky

Any good resources on Deutero Isaiah?

Post by sparky » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:58 am

I'm teaching gospel doctrine tomorrow and it covers Isaiah 54-56 and 63-65, which are part of duetero (or possibly trito) Isaiah. I'd like to gently introduce the idea of multiple authorship to the class, maybe just talk about how Isaiah covers different time periods and can be divided up accordingly. Does anyone here have good ideas or resources for doing this?
Last edited by sparky on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

jfro18

Re: Any good resources on Deutero Isaiah?

Post by jfro18 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 am

I put a small write-up on this over on https://www.ldsdiscussions.com/deuteroisaiah

There isn't nearly as much about this as I would've thought there would be given the implications of it.

There are of course better sources than this, but it's a start. I need to see if I can find the pages I found helpful with this but it was months ago when I did it.

Stig

Post by Stig » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:43 am

Deutero-Isaiah was the nail in the coffin for the BoM for me. Unless if can be shown that Isaiah is the ACTUAL author of the portions of the Bible in question, there is just no good way around this for the BoM. None.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:03 am

Stig wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:43 am
Deutero-Isaiah was the nail in the coffin for the BoM for me. Unless if can be shown that Isaiah is the ACTUAL author of the portions of the Bible in question, there is just no good way around this for the BoM. None.
For me it's just an inescapable problem, and it just nails shut any idea that Joseph wasn't just copying from the Bible constantly as he created the BoM.

There is just no getting around Joseph copying from the KJV and literally introducing an anachronism because he didn't know it wasn't written by the same person.

Just like the Book of Abraham, are we to believe that God would set Joseph Smith up to look like a fraud if we are all supposed to have faith in him?

No chance.

Edit: I saw someone read this page on ldsdiscussions from Chicagoland... is it someone here? If so, who is it and where are you located? PM if you don't want to post that info here. Just curious since I'm in the area.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:05 pm

I haven't found much on it. I think the reason is that for Judaism and main stream Christianity, it's just not a big deal. It's a mere curiosity. Like how the Gospels were not written until well after the death of the supposed authors. They accept it an move on because it doesn't have an effect on them at the end of the day. It does not change the overall story of the OT.

However, that curiosity in Christianity introduces MAJOR problems into the BOM and it's timeline. The supposed translation of ancient documents that contain text that hadn't been written yet.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:05 pm
I haven't found much on it. I think the reason is that for Judaism and main stream Christianity, it's just not a big deal. It's a mere curiosity. Like how the Gospels were not written until well after the death of the supposed authors. They accept it an move on because it doesn't have an effect on them at the end of the day. It does not change the overall story of the OT.

However, that curiosity in Christianity introduces MAJOR problems into the BOM and it's timeline. The supposed translation of ancient documents that contain text that hadn't been written yet.
That's a very good point... and one of the worst things Joseph and the church did was insist on such a literal Bible. Having a (tiny) part of the Book of Mormon that wasn't even written before that time is a problem that just can't be answered with such literal claims.