Mis-translated?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Brent

Mis-translated?

Post by Brent » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:46 pm

If you believe the Bible is true but occasionally "mis-translated"...How did Joseph end up "Mis-Revealing" the BoM?

Rob4Hope

Re: Mis-translated?

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:34 am

One of the nails in the coffin of the 'translation' narrative and BoM being "the most correct of any book on earth" is the Isaiah chapters in the BoM, and then the changes to those chapters in the JST.

So, which one is more accurate?...the most correct book, or the inspired corrections that happened later?

I haven't even tried to see what the apologists say about that. A person's brain can only be twisted sooooo much!

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:52 pm

Brent wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:46 pm
If you believe the Bible is true but occasionally "mis-translated"...How did Joseph end up "Mis-Revealing" the BoM?
Nonsense. It's the most correct book of all. So therefore whatever you're reading that says otherwise is even more deeply flawed.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:18 pm

A convenient way to give yourself authority to make the Bible say whatever you want, or to write yourself into it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:18 pm
A convenient way to give yourself authority to make the Bible say whatever you want, or to write yourself into it.
That latter statement made me laugh out loud. Even I could see, as a TBM, how silly that was, to write his own self into ancient prophecies during the bible translation - or dictation, or whatever it was. I think I've seen the stupid my whole life, I just needed to sit down at one point and admit it to myself.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:24 pm
I think I've seen the stupid my whole life, I just needed to sit down at one point and admit it to myself.
Yup, there it was right in front of our noses. No wonder Mormons are so scared of "anti" information. Deep down we know we're walking a tight rope.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:51 pm
Mormorrisey wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:24 pm
I think I've seen the stupid my whole life, I just needed to sit down at one point and admit it to myself.
Yup, there it was right in front of our noses. No wonder Mormons are so scared of "anti" information. Deep down we know we're walking a tight rope.
Was watching a documentary called Holy Hell about a cult out in Hollywood known as "Buddahfield". Crazy what some people will do. The members who got out and were interviewed, essentially kept saying, "I knew somewhere deep down inside it was turning to crap but I wanted it to be right so badly I just kept going."

One of the psychologists they interviewed to help explain it, used a term I thought was interesting.

"Mutual complicity"

In a weird sort of way, our desire to find meaning and "life answers" overcomes that little "bullshit meter" we all have deep inside and we overlook the obvious deviancy to hold on to the security blanket of being right and having a community. We end up being complicit in our own abuse and exploitation.

It's a freaky trip. :|
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington