Elvis has left the building

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Elvis has left the building

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Article from church news on the forgery of the Elvis annotated copy of the BOM.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/history-r ... -say-48425

wtfluff

Re: Elvis has left the building

Post by wtfluff » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm

So... Mormon-Inc. has become an expert on forgeries eh?

I believe that's what they call "Ironic" isn't it? ;)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:01 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm
So... Mormon-Inc. has become an expert on forgeries eh?

I believe that's what they call "Ironic" isn't it? ;)
Because they learned their lesson after they bought all those Mark Hoffman docs!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:23 pm

And it only took them 30 years to figure it out. I am impressed.

The gullibility scale here is astounding.

From the article:

"Forgeries are often accepted because they provide something that people already want.."

Truer words were never spoken.... :|

And what about all those people who "felt the Spirit" when they heard the story of this book?

"Don't base your testimony on things that can't be corroborated"

This just gets worse and worse doesn't it???

I'm having a Paul H. Dunn moment. :shock:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:59 am

There was no mention of using the seer stone in determining the veracity of this claim. Why was this information omitted?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:39 am

So a BYU document expect takes one look at it ans says it s an obvious fake, and not even a very good one at that. So much for the power of discernment by the part of the church archives department.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:11 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:39 am
So a BYU document expect takes one look at it ans says it s an obvious fake, and not even a very good one at that. So much for the power of discernment by the part of the church archives department.
The church has an "archives department"?

Archiving what?.....sacred relics and useless rocks that don't provide any benefit, and no one can use (cuz they are garbage anyway)?

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:28 am

The most sacred (aka secret) artifacts in Mormonism are the ones they want to keep hidden from everyone. The more something can potentially be a public embarrasment, the more sacred it it.

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Been thinking about this situation today.

1. Museums (real museums) are very big on provenance. They do provenance verification to avoid this very embarrassing situation. Why? Because now, everything else in their collection is called into question. How many more fakes are residing here? Somebody was really sloppy in their work. Are they still working there? Have collection parameters changed as a result of this embarrassment?

2. This book didn't just fall out of the sky. Someone had to create this hoax. Was it a non-mormon looking to make a buck? Was it a "well meaning" Mormon who lied because he/she wasn't getting enough attention at home? Either way it's shows gullibility on behalf of church administrators and if it was a Mormon who misrepresented the truth, it shows a willingness to do anything to enhance the church's standing and validity even if it means lying.

I'm sure Hinkley would have termed this a minor hiccup. Nothing here folks. Move along, move along...... ;)

He was so good at deflecting and his followers were so very good at buying it. :?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington