The narrative is changing in real time!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

The narrative is changing in real time!

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Anyone see this?

Shift to "dictation" has begun!

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Rob4Hope

Re: The narrative is changing in real time!

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Oh wow!

Yep...the implications are pretty big actually. Changing translation to dictation is a BIG first step.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:20 pm

:o Is that from a magazine cover, or article?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:35 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:20 pm
:o Is that from a magazine cover, or article?
I think that it may have been a banner trailing from the back of a Trial Balloon.

True Fact - When Mormons drink tea they turn into leather due to the tannin in the tea leaves.
This phenomenon does not occur in any other group of people. Believe it or not.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Emower

Post by Emower » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Cmon RR, dictation and translation have always been the same thing when you keep the appropriate context in mind. These are not the droids you are looking for.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:21 pm

I read this a number of days ago. It seemed pretty "same old, same old" to me. Although "dictating" doeslead one more in the direction of Joseph reading from the stone rather than getting "impressions" of thought.

Which in turn leaves less wiggle room for all the "errors" he made that needed correcting or clarification.

They also never take into account that the guy had well over four years to get his story nearly memorized. Truly if he HAD been dictating from the stone as we are led to believe, re-translating the lost 116 pages should have been a walk in the park.

Actually the use of the word "dictating" could be a move away from the traditional meaning most folks get from the word "translate".

Even if the bofm were actually true, in reality Joseph didn't "translate" anything. He just read the story in English off the rock. He couldn't translate his way out of a paper bag. All he could do was read English.

Hales quotes a scribe as saying that Joseph waited (with his head in the hat we assume) to hear the dictation read back to make sure it was correct and then they would proceed. To me that indicates he may have been looking at a reference.

I've long wondered if Joseph was using the hat as a "camera obscura". A method for reading small script through a pin hole in the hat. It would have been almost invisible. But the concept had been around for a few hundred years.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Brent

Post by Brent » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:55 am

So...is the racist stuff inserted by Joseph's evil twin?

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:22 am

Palerider wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:21 pm
I read this a number of days ago. It seemed pretty "same old, same old" to me. Although "dictating" doeslead one more in the direction of Joseph reading from the stone rather than getting "impressions" of thought.

Which in turn leaves less wiggle room for all the "errors" he made that needed correcting or clarification.

They also never take into account that the guy had well over four years to get his story nearly memorized. Truly if he HAD been dictating from the stone as we are led to believe, re-translating the lost 116 pages should have been a walk in the park.

Actually the use of the word "dictating" could be a move away from the traditional meaning most folks get from the word "translate".

Even if the bofm were actually true, in reality Joseph didn't "translate" anything. He just read the story in English off the rock. He couldn't translate his way out of a paper bag. All he could do was read English.

Hales quotes a scribe as saying that Joseph waited (with his head in the hat we assume) to hear the dictation read back to make sure it was correct and then they would proceed. To me that indicates he may have been looking at a reference.

I've long wondered if Joseph was using the hat as a "camera obscura". A method for reading small script through a pin hole in the hat. It would have been almost invisible. But the concept had been around for a few hundred years.
And other sources say he never had to ask about his place. Why would he need to, if he's having them read it back so he can verify? It's sadly all so obvious now that it's a fraud. I wish I'd known sooner.