Service missions now an option whilst living at home

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
no1saint

Service missions now an option whilst living at home

Post by no1saint » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:28 pm

RubinHighlander

Re: Service missions now an option whilst living at home

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:30 pm

They have to get creative since the numbers are tapering off after the age drop surge. This might also help with all those early returns.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Elder Renlund:

“They’re dependable, they show up, they do the work. They’re cheerful, they’re positive, they’re enthusiastic. They bring life and energy.”

AND THEY'RE FREE!!! NO CHARGE!!! And their moms take care of them at night. :roll:

I would love to have served an "education mission" where I could have spent two years educating myself at a good University. What a sacrifice that would have been to offer the church. Then I wouldn't have had to come home and get married immediately and live in poverty for the next 10 years trying to raise a family at the same time I got my education! :shock:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:35 pm

And i bet you're still paying out the equalized fee to have them at home...

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:08 pm

I must admit that the video triggered me. The first missionary that was spoken to has the condition that killed my sister. There is no known cure. The longest time anyone has lived is 5 years after diagnosis. I was thinking that 18 months is a long time out of an almost guaranteed short life span. Plus being on her feet all day would be physically exhausting for her. I hope she’s happy.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:24 pm

This was a GC prediction, but isn't this a super limited rollout? It sounds like you can only do this if you have a long term medical condition, although they could then slowly expand out what those conditions could be to qualify?

Cliodud1000

Post by Cliodud1000 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:04 pm

This is actually really good news if one lives in the US and Canada and wants to remain Mormon.

Unendowed

Post by Unendowed » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:39 pm

In other words, Proselytizing missions are the preferred missions but if you can't handle it you can still work for free for the church. You'll still be considered a second class Mormon for not serving a "real" mission but at least you can claim you served a mission. Plus you get to live at home while adhering "to very similar standards of conduct as proselyting missionaries." Screw that! I don't see this being a very popular option for most missionaries that come home early.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:36 pm

I know of at least one kid who has already done a "service" mission from home. Maybe they were part of the pilot program?

It doesn't seem to really be about doing much that actually benefits the "missionaries", but just a way to benefit the church, and make some of the "bad" statistics about early returns look better. :(
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Brent

Post by Brent » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:13 am

Come home, finish your mission with Mom as your compie...

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:54 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:24 pm
This was a GC prediction, but isn't this a super limited rollout? It sounds like you can only do this if you have a long term medical condition, although they could then slowly expand out what those conditions could be to qualify?
I think the term emotional reasons gives a bigger scope for the rollout.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:13 pm

During the recommendation process, all candidates will be considered first for full-time proselyting missions. Those unable to be called as proselyting missionaries for physical, mental or emotional reasons may be called as service missionaries.
This way, everyone learning about your service mission will realize that you have physical, mental, and emotional problems. These young returned service missionaries will be able to swim in their own dating pool afterward.
In some cases, candidates will be honorably excused from any formal missionary service.
If you are too big of screwup for a service mission you will be booted with honors.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Whenever humans create a visible requirement with no valid alternatives, they create a class system. There will be at least two classes: those who succeed, and those who fail. The missionary program has always had an additional class, too: those who opt out, supposedly against God's wishes. I don't know quite how to place this class, but I suspect being in it is a little better than failing.

For now, the church has managed to wedge another class between the successful and the failing, and is trying to make up for having a class system by elevating those who fail. It won't work. Further, blaming the humans for being judgmental in these circumstances is like handing out an answer key and demanding that nobody cheat on the test. But they'll do it anyway.

(It's just like the division between the "worthy" and the "unworthy." As long as being "worthy" is required and success or failure has visible effects, it will create classism.)

There's an easy, easy fix, which is obvious as soon as you notice the near lack of class division between women who serve missions and women who don't. Just make the damned program optional. Allow people to choose what they think is best for them.

I think church leaders are terrified that if they did that, young men would make the "wrong" choices, which would piss off their abusive god. I think they'll have to eventually, though, when enough young men opt out, and not being second-class becomes a factor in their leaving Mormonism.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:05 pm

Reuben wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:28 pm

I think church leaders are terrified that if they did that, young men would make the "wrong" choices.....
Church leaders are only minimally concerned that individual young men might make the wrong choices. As Boyd K. Packer used to remind us, the church will succeed whether you're helping or not. We'll make it without you. No one, (except Boyd) is indispensable. But they do have to hold on to as much of the mass group as possible. To keep the mass thinking they specifically are being called.

The real thing leadership fears is the accompanying loss of power when they let individuals truly use their own agency and it translates to the community at large.

No more telling people "God is calling you specifically on a mission" puts leadership in a position of begging rather than commanding.

Loss of control. And not only does that hurt in terms of numbers but it's a real ego killer as well. Horrifying actually. No more pretending your God's proxy...... ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington