Thomas Stuart Ferguson <-- the book?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Thomas Stuart Ferguson <-- the book?

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:51 am

Sorry to post here. I know its the wrong place.

What is the book title from this guy where he backs out completely from the Book of Mormon having any archeological history?

There are a few books out there, and I'm looking for the best one?

Hagoth

Re: Thomas Stuart Ferguson <-- the book?

Post by Hagoth » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:15 pm

You're probably thinking of Quest for the Gold Plates by Stan Larson. It's an excellent book. Ferguson goes from the most enthusiastic promoter of Book of Mormon archaeology to a complete (although closeted) doubter. Interestingly, it was the Book of Abraham that shattered his testimony. He was the first person to hand it over to Egyptologists for translation, fully expecting Joseph Smith to be vindicated. Oops.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Ferguson may have been the first TBM to have an egyptologist translate the papyri, but was not the first overall. In Stenhouse's The Rocky Mountain Saints he devotes a whole chapter to a side by side of what Joseph said vs what a 19th century egyptologist had to say about the facsimiles. And this was published in 1873.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:46 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:22 pm
Ferguson may have been the first TBM to have an egyptologist translate the papyri, but was not the first overall. In Stenhouse's The Rocky Mountain Saints he devotes a whole chapter to a side by side of what Joseph said vs what a 19th century egyptologist had to say about the facsimiles. And this was published in 1873.
Good point. I was referring to the Hor scroll that turned up in in. 60s.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Isn't it amazing that LDS leaders would use deception, denial, and even criminal activities to cover the factual histories? Its a pretty sad policy when you have to hope that members don't read something lest they ask questions....