Alcohol on Sundays

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Alcohol on Sundays

Post by 2bizE » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 pm

Why is alcohol not sold on Sundays in Utah. I believe many other states do the same thing, but what is the origins of that law?
~2bizE

wtfluff

Re: Alcohol on Sundays

Post by wtfluff » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:41 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 pm
Why is alcohol not sold on Sundays in Utah. I believe many other states do the same thing, but what is the origins of that law?
Do you really have to ask? I'd guess because: Mormons.

Also: It is only in certain counties where alcohol is not sold on Sundays in grocery stores. (I'm not positive this is the case. In Salt Lake County, the mild barley drinks are available on Sundays...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Lloyd Christmas

Post by Lloyd Christmas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:33 am

Liquor laws in different states are very interesting. I travel a lot and because of that run into a lot of different laws. I remember my wife and I went to Minnesota for vacation and couldn't buy alcohol in stores on Sunday. But we went to Applebee's and got a bottle of wine wine... which we could take home with us. Texas has laws about days and times, with some dry counties still. I remember being in New Jersey and being able to buy any type of liquor at the grocery stores and then traveling to Philadelphia and they have stricter liquor laws... only beer in gas stations or grocery stores. Oklahoma has a similar beer law to Utah with 3.2 percent or whatever. They just voted to increase it though. And then I've been to some dry countries like Kuwait. No alcohol sold at all. I'd say...stock up so you don't end up needing alcohol in an inconvenient time...and live somewhere that has liberal liquor laws. It's probably a more enjoyable place to live.

As far as Utah goes. Umm...it seems obvious. The word of wisdom says no alcohol. Sunday is the Lord's day. So legislation was passed to limit alcohol purchases on that day...and beer was watered down to make it less intoxicating.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:35 am

I think what
Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:33 am
Is: A lot of these goofy laws (all over the USA) are hold-overs from prohibition.

If I'm not mistaken, you can't even buy Jack Daniels at the distillery where it is made, as the distillery is located in a dry county. Makes Utah look progressive eh?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:11 am

2bizE wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 pm
Moral panic. Blue laws, are about promoting 'proper' sabbath adherence either by banning or restricting activities. Some of these laws have been around long enough that they've become the status quo and people will argue for their maintenance for other reasons. For instance, Indiana only recently allowed Sunday packaged sales and liquor store owners lobbied against that change because being closed one day a week lowered overhead and they didn't have to worry about the grocery store up the street (grocery stores can sell beer, wine, and liquor in Indiana) stealing business because even if the grocery store was open they couldn't sell alcohol.

Now not all the laws about alcohol are blue laws, for instance liquor stores in Indiana can sell cold beer but grocery stores cannot (though they can sell chilled wine, cider, and mead) because reasons and three tier systems and dry counties arose from the ashes of prohibition but if you dig hard enough into laws keeping you from purchasing on Sunday you'll find a religious connection somewhere in there (because if it was just a random day off, why not Tuesday?).
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm

I was in Florida at a time when they moved the time restaurants could sell liquor from 1 pm to 11 am.
The link to the blue laws showed this about Florida.
"Several counties prohibit the sale of alcohol and sex toys on Sunday and during certain hours.".
So, there is a ban on sex toys too. Have to think ahead and get them on Saturdays, or Amazon.

Thought some may get a kick out of drive through liquor.
https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation ... uor-stores
~2bizE

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:29 pm

In Utah you can buy alcohol on Sunday. Bars, restaurants, convienve and grocery stores have it available.
What you can buy is "the good stuff" from the liqour store, because they are ran by the state and anything ran by the state is closed Sundays.

Source: i use to manage a bar, then a restaurant and ordered an adult beverage at applebees today.
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:43 am

They are weird all over the US. West Virginia it's not even a state level, thin, but county. In my county, here is a summary of when stuff can be sold:

Retail stores:
Beer & Wine: Monday though Saturday: 7:00 AM to 2: AM, All alcohol: 8:00 AM to Midnight.
Sundays: Beer & wine 1:00 PM to 2:00 AM, No hard liquor sales.
No Alcohol sales are allowed on Christmas Day.

Restaurants & Bars, All alcohol sales
Monday through Saturday, 7:00 AM to 2:30 AM, Sundays 1 PM to 2:30 AM

Private Clubs can get licenses to sell alcohol at any time.

Yeah, they are a mess. This last election, there was a measure on the ballot to allows alcohol sales at 10:00AM on a Sunday at restaurants and bars. About half of the counties in WV have passed that "brunch bill" law. My county, it was rejected, 50.18% to 49.82%, a margin of 31 votes. All the opposition came from church groups. So much for separation between church and state...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams