The Gospel is Spreading.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

The Gospel is Spreading.

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:00 pm

0.000658% of the world's population are now active Mormons.

Thoughts? Reactions?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

redjay

Re: The Gospel is Spreading.

Post by redjay » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:06 pm

A minuscule insignificant cult that has peaked and is on its way to being an odd religion confined to obscure history books.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

JustHangingOn@57

Post by JustHangingOn@57 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Yea, I pointed that statistic out to my DW once. I made the observation that, man, what a crappy plan God had for spreading the gospel. She patiently pointed out to me that gods plan is eternal, and so we haven't seen but a portion of the fruits thereof. Of course. Silly me.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:10 pm

JustHangingOn@57 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:42 pm
She patiently pointed out to me that gods plan is eternal, and so we haven't seen but a portion of the fruits thereof.
You start with a hydrogen atom and over time you have the heavier elements. With enough time you have the density of Trump.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:00 am

But don't forget the Elder Cook recently told us that God intended that rock cut of the mountain without hands to become a pebble. That's how we know it's true. For now anyway. If for some reason membership started growing again, say in Africa, then THAT'S how we'd know it's true.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:00 am
But don't forget the Elder Cook recently told us that God intended that rock cut of the mountain without hands to become a pebble. That's how we know it's true. For now anyway. If for some reason membership started growing again, say in Africa, then THAT'S how we'd know it's true.
Really? He said a pebble?

wakarusa

Post by wakarusa » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 am

Anon70 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 am
Hagoth wrote:
Really? He said a pebble?
I think the reference is to this quote in the April General Conference:
This is the commencement of the fulfillment of the great and marvelous work Nephi foresaw among both the Gentiles and the house of Israel. Nephi saw our time when the Saints of God would be upon all the face of the earth, but their numbers would be small because of wickedness. However, he foresaw that they would be “armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.”
(emphasis added).

https://www.lds.org/study/general-confe ... d?lang=eng

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:25 pm

wakarusa wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 am
This is the commencement of the fulfillment of the great and marvelous work Nephi foresaw among both the Gentiles and the house of Israel. Nephi saw our time when the Saints of God would be upon all the face of the earth, but their numbers would be small because of wickedness. However, he foresaw that they would be “armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.”
(emphasis added).

https://www.lds.org/study/general-confe ... d?lang=eng
I really want to se how "the power of God in great glory" actually operates within the LDS church. I suspect it will come down to taking a casserole to Sister Jenson's family who just had a baby. Don't get me wrong, this is an excellent and righteous thing to do, but it's hard to be impressed with something that literally any kind neighbor or relative can do.

I attended the youth fireside with Elder Christofferson in Gilbert, AZ on Saturday night with my daughter hoping to see some of the "power of God in great glory" from an apostle. It was nice, but kind of underwhelming. He answered questions submitted from the audience and none of them came anyhwere near dealing with anything controversial.

Also, the hero worship of senior apostles is really getting uncomfortable. One of the visiting Area Seventies talked about having Elder Packer teach them for three hours during a plane ride to visit a stake on the east coast. I suspect that Elder Packer would have kindly, but firmly, asked me to exit the plane before landing if I had been around to ask questions. But this Seventy was impressed enough to tell a capacity chapel and overflow about it. I was not impressed with the "power of God in great glory" that came from this meeting.

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Do you think the board was expecting to hit the motherlode in Russia and China after the Lord ‘miraculously’ opened the doors for missionaries?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:36 pm

wakarusa wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 am
(emphasis added).
Welcome to NOM, wakarusa!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wakarusa

Post by wakarusa » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks for the welcome. I'm one of the ghosts of NOM past. Joined the "Aimoo" version of NOM in 2002; posted a bunch for a year or two at NOM and the related "View from the Foyer" but then slowed down and settled into long-term lurk mode. I have remained interested in things going on in the Mormon world, just usually not motivated enough to post anything.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:35 am

wakarusa wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:45 am
Thanks for the welcome. I'm one of the ghosts of NOM past. Joined the "Aimoo" version of NOM in 2002; posted a bunch for a year or two at NOM and the related "View from the Foyer" but then slowed down and settled into long-term lurk mode. I have remained interested in things going on in the Mormon world, just usually not motivated enough to post anything.
It's interesting that this one pulled you out of the shadows. I hope we'll hear more from you. Aimoo seems familiar but nothing specific comes to mind. Nice to hear from you.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:21 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:00 pm
0.000658% of the world's population are now active Mormons.

Thoughts? Reactions?
How could not NOT be evidence that God's grand plan of the one and only true church on this planet for all his kids sucks beyond sucking!? Not only is the COB terrible at marketing decisions, like changing years of branding, but it's market share sucks. At least it's good at real-estate acquisitions and stock market investments.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:54 pm

When I see this number it reminds me of the Syfy show where the LDS Corp gives a starship builder all of their assets to build a giant ship to carry their dwindling population to another Galaxy so they can live in peace and have lots of kids.
The funny thing is, after it is built. The ship gets stolen.

I see it shrinking, but as long as compound interest works, they will have a bigger seat at the table then they deserve.

I could also see the Churchoving mainstream and looking just like another flavor of Evangelicalism. Honestly, the two have more in common than they would like to admit.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens