Joseph Smith and L Ron Hubbard -- both malignant narcisists

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Joseph Smith and L Ron Hubbard -- both malignant narcisists

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Been watching Leah Remini. I haven't seen all the episodes so started at the beginning for a serious watch. OH MY CRAP!....Scientology is wacko! Problem is, as I'm watching those shows, I'm also seeing LDS in there, just a more subtle level.

Found this article. If you read it, you will see below where they actually mention JS.

https://www.quora.com/Was-L-Ron-Hubbard ... t-a-nutjob

Thoughts?

Here is an academic paper that actually talks quite a bit about JS:

https://skent.ualberta.ca/wp-content/up ... 8-2008.pdf

2bizE

Re: Joseph Smith and L Ron Hubbard -- both malignant narcisists

Post by 2bizE » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:35 pm

JS was also a necromancer.
~2bizE

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 am

L. Ron Hubbard is the best analog to Joseph Smith that we've had in modern times. He had a fantastic imagination, produced staggeringly prodigious amounts of bullcrap, at times seemed to genuinely believe the bullcrap he obviously knew he had just pulled out of his butt, used his charisma to attract millions of followers, and got weirder and weirder as he got older. And power-hungry followers were able to continue his organization after he died, David Miscavige is Brigham Young to Hubbard's Joseph Smith. Hubbard truly was the Joseph Smith of the 20th Century. L. Ron Hubbard forever destroys the argument that Joseph Smith could not have accomplished all he did unless he was a true prophet.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:46 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 am
...and got weirder and weirder as he got older.
One of my greatest regrets is that we were robbed of seeing Joseph Smith's golden years.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:10 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 am
L. Ron Hubbard forever destroys the argument that Joseph Smith could not have accomplished all he did unless he was a true prophet.
I love this site. I've never considered this, but having it said, it makes total sense.

L. Ron Hubbard was a nut! and he really did push out a lot of material.

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:14 am

Moroni told Joseph his name would be known for good and evil. L. Ron Hubbard could have said the very same thing about himself.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:11 pm

I think Brigham Young has met his twin in David Miscavige, also. They both use(d) some pretty Machiavellian techniques to establish and maintain power. It does appear that BY was much more successful in establishing his religion than Miscavige will be, though.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:48 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:11 pm
I think Brigham Young has met his twin in David Miscavige, also. They both use(d) some pretty Machiavellian techniques to establish and maintain power. It does appear that BY was much more successful in establishing his religion than Miscavige will be, though.
L Ron Hubbard < -- > Joseph Smith
Brigham Young < -- > David Miscavige.

This is creepy sh!t folks!!!!! There are some actual parallels here in a weird way!

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:35 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:11 pm
Part of Brigham's success was that he literally had a captive audience. Once a convert struggled so hard to get to Salt Lake there was great difficulty in leaving, having spent their last penny to get there. Many even owed the church money from the "immigration fund" which the church could call in the loan on at any time.

I think many chose to stay not because they loved the church but because they were afraid to leave.

Social and economic coercion. Hard to beat.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 am

Just got to the part of Leah Remini's shows where they talked about David Miscavige and how he consolidated power after LRH died. It was FASCINATING!!!! I saw all kinds of parallels to Brigham Young. It was uncanny.

Brigham took steps to re-org the 12 so that his legacy could be continued. There are rumors he went after Samuel Smith who might have had a claim. He took steps against Rigdon and others. There was blood atonement used to keep people from challenging him...etc.

WOW

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:10 pm
Been watching Leah Remini. I haven't seen all the episodes so started at the beginning for a serious watch. OH MY CRAP!....Scientology is wacko! Problem is, as I'm watching those shows, I'm also seeing LDS in there, just a more subtle level.

Found this article. If you read it, you will see below where they actually mention JS.

https://www.quora.com/Was-L-Ron-Hubbard ... t-a-nutjob

Thoughts?

Here is an academic paper that actually talks quite a bit about JS:

https://skent.ualberta.ca/wp-content/up ... 8-2008.pdf
I have watched those with DW. It may have helped crack her shelf a bit more. Fascinating and close to home in many ways.

Funny, while reading the Quora article I got a sponsored post from the COJCOLDS. "Can you learn about God by reading the BOM?" And it takes you to a link to get a free BOM.

So tithing could be funding an over the top, hypocritical, alms before men "Light the World" campaign or Quora ads. I wonder how productive those are. Advertising to people searching the interwebs for truth?!!! I cant see that playing out well most of the time.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:04 am

I'm still watching. Into the second season.

In one of those episodes, there was talk about the money...the BIG MONEY in Scientology. Apparently, members pay in advance for their auditing and training sessions--but in such a way that the money is kept inside the church, especially if you are labeled a subversive person. The church of Scientology is alleged to have BILLIONS in reserves.

I found myself seeing parallels all over the place on this one. The COS constructs building to show an image of growth and influence; however, most of those building, though lavish, are dormant--no occupants other than staff to clean and occasionally occupy. The LDS system constructs shopping centers, massive cultural halls, temples and buildings over and over, and then schedules them in such a way to leave them unoccupied because there aren't enough patrons to fill the doors.

Leah Remini mentioned that you typically would expect a church to be spending its money to help people. The COS, in her opinion, is a lying deceitful farce in this regard; money is spent to aggrandize themselves to the world, but it is two-faced with helping people.

You know?.....I have to admit I felt like that point hit the LDS church right between the eyes as well. For that billion dollar shopping center, how many people could the LDS church have fed?

Thoughts?

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:43 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:04 am
For that billion collar shopping center, how many people could the LDS church have fed?

Thoughts?
Better yet, how many members could have been EDUCATED?!?!

Feeding people is only a temporary fix. Really want to help people?

Teach them good morals and help them gain marketable skills. Education is the best investment a church could make if it has the funds to help.

Even from a cynical point of view, the church would make all that money back through increased tithing. They just seem to be extremely short sighted in this area.

The current "education loan fund" is a poor excuse for what they really could be doing.

:oops:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:44 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:04 am
I have to admit I felt like that point hit the LDS church right between the eyes as well. For that billion collar shopping center, how many people could the LDS church have fed?

Thoughts?
This was a big one for me as far as shelf crushing items. Finding out how much the church is worth vs. how much they actually spend on feeding and clothing people vs. how much they play it up in the media and with the members that they do in humanitarian effort. What a joke! Most of the humanitarian aid and effort they bilk from the members in time and money above and in addition to the tithing donations. Yet, the percentage still pales it comparison to their accumulated wealth and investments. And then they still qualify as a non-profit and are not accountable to report how they spend the donations. All those years paying my hard earned dollars to that corporation...I feel like I was in a slave race miniverse, like on Rick and Morty. If you have not seen that episode you should:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ricks_Must_Be_Crazy
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:58 pm

Palerider wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:43 am

Teach them good morals and help them gain marketable skills. Education is the best investment a church could make if it has the funds to help.
Oh, but that's what all the "BYU"s are for, don't-cha know?

[YES THIS IS AS SARCASM]
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:03 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:58 pm
Palerider wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:43 am

Oh, but that's what all the "BYU"s are for, don't-cha know?

[YES THIS IS AS SARCASM]
Right.

And as I understand it the tuition at the BYUs isn't really too bad. But I think the church could help out so much more than they do with the cost of education for the impoverished.

If a person is in grinding poverty and tuition is only $5000 a year it's still too much.

I think this especially applies to women who may have made mistakes and have children or are divorced with children and ex-husbands who can't or won't pay child support.

Or even men who would like to support their families better but can't afford to go to school.

Maybe the church figures they would be rewarding bad behavior. I doubt the Savior would see it that way. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone deserves a second chance to get it right.

But.... let's build a mall so that downtown Salt Lake looks good and prosperous. Appearances are everything, right??? :oops:

George Washington

sunstoned

Post by sunstoned » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:39 pm

Leah Remini just did a show on the Jehovah Witnesses. It would be very interesting if she ever got around to doing a special on the church.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:23 pm

sunstoned wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:39 pm
Leah Remini just did a show on the Jehovah Witnesses. It would be very interesting if she ever got around to doing a special on the y.
It would be good.

The problem is the church walks a very fine line between cult and legitimate religion. They have a very good PR department that sells them very well.

You have to dig pretty deep and find a way to present the material in a way that the average viewer can digest without confusion or boredom.

The problems are there they just hide very well.

George Washington

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:51 am

sunstoned wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:39 pm
Leah Remini just did a show on the Jehovah Witnesses. It would be very interesting if she ever got around to doing a special on the church.
She's looking into Mormonism:

Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 am

Reuben wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:51 am

She's looking into Mormonism:
That would be a great segue to expose all the similarities. Education is the key to killing these corrupt institutions that are bad for society.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE