MTC closures

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Unendowed

MTC closures

Post by Unendowed » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:03 am

Earlier this year the church announced it would be closing the MTCs in Chile and Spain. Then last night on the news they reported the church is also closing the MTC in the Dominican Republic.

"This decision comes as Church leaders continue to seek the best use of resources worldwide according to the needs and demands of each area."

Translation: we don't have enough missionaries to justify keepings these facilities open.

It appears the stone cut out of the mountain is starting to crumble.

Rob4Hope

Re: MTC closures

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:21 am

Unendowed wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:03 am
Earlier this year the church announced it would be closing the MTCs in Chile and Spain. Then last night on the news they reported the church is also closing the MTC in the Dominican Republic.

"This decision comes as Church leaders continue to seek the best use of resources worldwide according to the needs and demands of each area."

Translation: we don't have enough missionaries to justify keepings these facilities open.

It appears the stone cut out of the mountain is starting to crumble.
It will be interesting to see how they spin it going forward.....

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:46 am

I guess I see this type of thing as normal operations for a large organization. I've indirectly facilitated the closing of multiple operations locations through cost analysis and looking at returns on investment. It's a necessary thing to do to maintain profitability and manage a business.

I recognize that the church is a large corporation so hearing about this type of stuff doesn't bother me. I'm more bothered by the million dollar temples the church keeps building because those are an impractical use of money and nothing more than a mirage of church growth.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:32 pm

They should invest in a bouncy castle company so they can put PR-only temples wherever they want quickly and cheaply.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:32 pm
They should invest in a bouncy castle company so they can put PR-only temples wherever they want quickly and cheaply.
Hey, the original Tabernacle in the wilderness was a tent that was portable for the Israelites. Maybe Nelson could learn a thing or two from Moses (a real prophet). 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Palerider wrote:
Hagoth wrote:
Hey, the original Tabernacle in the wilderness was a tent that was portable for the Israelites. Maybe Nelson could learn a thing or two from Moses (a real prophet). 8-)
They proposed a temple ship at one point to sail to wherever the poorest remote saints were.

Project probably got squashed because satan rules the waters.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:03 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:18 pm
Palerider wrote:
Hagoth wrote:
They proposed a temple ship at one point to sail to wherever the poorest remote saints were.

Or maybe it was a doctrinal thing. You know the baptismal font has to be below ground level. How do you do that at sea? Is sea level already considered below ground level??

Plus, those twelve oxen would have weighed a lot. You'd need a big ship for that. :shock:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Palerider wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:03 pm
FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:18 pm
Palerider wrote:

Or maybe it was a doctrinal thing. You know the baptismal font has to be below ground level. How do you do that at sea? Is sea level already considered below ground level??

Plus, those twelve oxen would have weighed a lot. You'd need a big ship for that. :shock:
How about a cool pontoon one,...you know, 'exceedingly fine' like Nephi built?

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:46 am
I guess I see this type of thing as normal operations for a large organization. I've indirectly facilitated the closing of multiple operations locations through cost analysis and looking at returns on investment. It's a necessary thing to do to maintain profitability and manage a business.

I recognize that the church is a large corporation so hearing about this type of stuff doesn't bother me. I'm more bothered by the million dollar temples the church keeps building because those are an impractical use of money and nothing more than a mirage of church growth.
I don't think we're surprised or bothered by it either. I think it's interesting because it shows that they're not getting the ROI on them.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:46 am

I agree with this. I get some enjoyment out of knowing the church is realizing that they're not needing as many buildings/centers/whatever because the growth isn't there, but otherwise this doesn't really impact me.

Personally once you realize that the foundation is a lie, the rest of it just seems like people trying to run a religious corporation. That's what revelations have become and clearly their real estate/malls/radio stations/tv stations/etc are clear proof that this is a $$$ corporation masquerading as a religion.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:28 pm

Hagoth wrote:
They should make the bouncy castles operational! Changing clothes in the endowment would be tricky, but the True Order of Prayer would be loads of bouncy fun.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:01 pm

I'm likely remembering wrong but I half remember hearing that some kids going out on missions were reporting directly to the field. They didn't go a MTC.

Anyone else hear something similar?
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin