Priesthood age changes

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Priesthood age changes

Post by Palerider » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:53 pm

Just curious if anyone has insight as to the new changes of when a male child can receive the priesthood?

I have a grandson who's birthday is in October, which if I read correctly, would mean he would be ordained in January, ten months before he actually turns twelve years of age.

What are they really trying to do with this move??
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

dogbite

Re: Priesthood age changes

Post by dogbite » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Simplify the understaffed church. Maybe make it more global without so much us culture centrism

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:24 pm

I'm guessing somebody in the hierarchy figured it would be easier to keep records that way. It's a little skewed from the age requirement for public schools, which is usually the first of September. (shrug :roll: )
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Looks like this issue is being taken up in the "Support" forum. I would advise all readers to abandon this ship and head that way.

It is not required here on NOM to "stay in the boat..." ;) 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:11 pm

It might simplify things to rent out a local swimming pool and do mass baptisms for the kids on the third Saturday in January. If everyone gets snowed in, they could repeat the process the following year.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Brent

Post by Brent » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:20 pm

The older the boy the more likely he is to decline ordination.

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Probably just a way to better manage things with a two hour block. Particularly the second hour, since half of that is in Sunday school and the other half is split between primary and young men and young women for the youth. This simplifies some of the logistical problems they could have with a half hour classes that are shrinking and growing every year. I think it's actually pretty smart. Although it might be hard for some of the 11-year-olds who are not quite ready for the priesthood/YW level of indoctrination.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:30 pm

This just seems like another organizational change to fit the new Sunday setup. I know some will call it revelation, but I don't even think the church is promoting it that way unless I'm wrong.

It's a big nothingburger that people are excited about because the church literally does nothing to be actual prophets, seers, and revelators.