What did Jesus look like?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
wtfluff

Re: What did Jesus look like?

Post by wtfluff » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Palerider wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:56 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:11 pm
So again, as others have mentioned: Your biblical sources have no reference that Jesus had any "outstanding recognizable features" that made him stand out from any of the other folks in the region. Same thing as far as Mary is concerned. Wouldn't the logical conclusion be: He basically looked like the majority of other people from "Bethlehem" from that era? (Or Nazareth, depending on where you believe he was actually born?)
Yep.

Did you think I was saying something different?
These statements lead me to think you might be headed down a different path:
Palerider wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:21 pm
After doing some observation it appears that both Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews have a range of complexion from fair skin with a variety of hair color to a somewhat "swarthy" skin and darker hair.

Facial features can be diverse as well and although an elongated nose is fairly common, it certainly isn't always typical.

On my initial read, this statement lead me there too:
Palerider wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:40 pm
I don't see the absence of comment as being a reason to think he might have been completely plain or ugly but still he may not have been remarkably different in physicality.
BUT: Holy the Ghost told me to read it with my spiritual eyes, and now I see differently. 8-)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:04 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:51 pm
BUT: Holy the Ghost told me to read it with my spiritual eyes, and now I see differently. 8-)
Better late than never. ;)

Succinctly put, It seems that there are a fairly wide range of physical features that Christ might have had. But among those, I kind of doubt that he would have looked like the "waspy" Utah boys who seem to permeate Mormon art.

But then...one never knows.... :|
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:03 pm

I think this beautifully restored fresco is about as close as we'll get:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:02 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:03 pm
I think this beautifully restored fresco is about as close as we'll get:

I look like this every morning in winter when I go out to feed my horses.🥶 They still seem glad to see me. 😌
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:23 pm

This makes me wonder, is it possible that there is retrievable DNA on the Shroud of Turin? What would happen if....... (I can think of dozens of possibilities)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:58 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:23 pm
This makes me wonder, is it possible that there is retrievable DNA on the Shroud of Turin? What would happen if....... (I can think of dozens of possibilities)
I don't know....in 1988 they did carbon dating on the shroud that aged it at about 700 a.d.

Way late for being Christ's burial shroud.

But apparently some other scientists are looking into the possibility that an earthquake in 33 a.d. may have caused an "atomic reaction" that could have produced the imprint. :roll:

I'm not holding my breath. ;)

George Washington

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Someone above was talking about the sex thing between Eloheim and Mary. There were ways I've heard about this, and I don't recall the sources, but will take a shot.

1. I think it was Joseph Fielding Smith who said in Doctrins of Salvation that mary being a virgin meant she was not touched by mortal hands.
2. Didn't BRM say that children came to Mary the same way they come to anyone else?
3. I think I remember Truman Madsen saying that Eloheim and Mary were married by Gabriel.

Anyway...here is a link that has some quotes:

https://beliefmap.org/mormonism/mormoni ... uced-jesus
-----------------

PS. If you really want to twist up a TBM, ask them what color will black people be resurrected as? Since they are children of Adam, and black skin was a curse. Not many TBMs, even now, can deal with that question.

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:26 am

felixfabulous wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:30 am
didn't really have a response to that because it stirred up a bad past memory of an encounter I had with a born again Christian who hammered me with the "You Mormons think that God had sex with Mary." That was a WTF moment.
If you have not seen this, you need to. The Mary part is a gem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuO2Ov_D08c

I remember my sister being super creeped out in high school because her seminary teacher told them that God "wined and dined" Mary and treated her really well before the deed. That is super creepy.

IMO this is a demonstration of our unwillingness to leave anything to mystery and also a relic of the justification of polygamy by incorporating it into our theology. Per the thinking in that era, God the father practiced polygamy with the Mary incident and Jesus did as well by being married to Mary, Martha and Mary Magdalene (also an awesome bit in the cartoon referenced above).

I am a big fan of Jesus and think his teachings are incredible, I would say my beliefs are in the liberal Christian camp. I see some huge problems with the nativity narrative and the idea of divine birth. The latest one I encountered while reading Mark was, if Jesus had this miraculous birth, would people in the synagogue in Nazareth dismissed him and asked if this was not the carpenter's son? If the nativity narrative was accurate, people in his home town would have for sure known the story and would have been in awe of him his whole life.

I think all indications are that he was a typical first century Palestine Jew. Anytime a writing says something unflattering, historians think it is probably accurate. So, I think there is good evidence he was unremarkable in physical appearance and probably had a fairly normal upbringing. I think all of these things make it more remarkable that he was able to teach radical new wisdom and threaten the religious and political leaders so much that they had him killed.
I have trouble with the virgin birth as well. To me, Jesus baptism answers it - the voice from heaven announces "this is my son", and then the dispute starts - whose son is this? and the answer is given in Luke's genealogy which ends in ...which was the son of Adam which was the son of God. In other words, Jesus is the son of God in the same way that everyone is the Son of God, we're all descended from Adam who was a son of God.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:49 pm

About like this guy.

Brent

Post by Brent » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:33 am

You tend to see what you are looking for. In which case Christ is going to look like you think you should look.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:54 am

Azrael wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:49 pm
About like this guy.

Is that the guy who is Christ, walking the Earth today? Or a close match to what Jesus looked like?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Brent

Post by Brent » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:06 am

Reuben wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:54 am
Azrael wrote:
About like this guy.

Is that the guy who is Christ, walking the Earth today? Or a close match to what Jesus looked like?
Thats Santa as a young man.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:27 am

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:23 pm
20% Neanderthal?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Reuben wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:54 am
Does anyone think we should tell Jesus that we only post selfies around Halloween time? :lol:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:01 pm

Azrael wrote:
About like this guy.

Looks devious as well as white-anglo-saxon or possibly northern Europe.

George Washington