The long rumored temple changes are happening now?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

Re: The long rumored temple changes are happening now?

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:51 am

Fifi de la Vergne wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:49 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:51 pm
Is the women’s veil even necessary to wear now?

What’s the point of wearing it if it’s not going to be used to veil the face?
Are they still going to cover her face with it before they close her coffin?
Yikes! I forgot about that.

I vote for cremation.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:51 am
Fifi de la Vergne wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:49 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:51 pm
Is the women’s veil even necessary to wear now?

What’s the point of wearing it if it’s not going to be used to veil the face?
Are they still going to cover her face with it before they close her coffin?
Yikes! I forgot about that.
Me too. What a terrible custom.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:10 pm

MerrieMiss wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 am
I've had this argument with my husband several times in the past: I've claimed that the temple has changed many times. I've told him to ask his parents. He won't do it. This will make for some interesting conversations moving forward.

I really hate how the TBM answer they give to all this is "continuing revelation" or "the church changes for our times."

What is ironic is that the early Catholic Church (or the precursor to it) probably took exactly the same stance when they made the changes that led to the great apostasy I was taught about - but the LDS Church cannot see that they are doing exactly the same thing, and with exactly the same reasoning.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:15 pm

This thoughtful comment really gives me some things to think about.

My understanding is that the early Christians went to the temple in Jerusalem until they were kicked out or it was destroyed. And I really think that there was no revelation from God that said to build many temples during pioneer times and later. I think it was overkill on the part of BY and those who came after.
Palerider wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:03 pm
Church statement on temple changes:

"Whenever the Lord has had a people on the earth who will obey His word, they have been commanded to build temples."

The temple in Jerusalem was destroyed by Rome in 70 a.d.

I wonder why the existing Christian church wasn't commanded to build another, smaller temple somewhere else?

Was it because they knew there was only to be one temple in the world and Jerusalem was to be it's place?

Why didn't the obedient Jews in Babylon build a small temple there instead of waiting for the return to Jerusalem? Was it because there is only supposed to be one temple of God and that Jerusalem was where He had promised it should be established?

In Solomon's dedicatory prayer over the first temple, he prophesies that when Israel is led or driven to the ends of the Earth, no matter how far they are scattered, even to the isles of the sea, they will always turn and pray towards the temple in Jerusalem. They will always want to return there, for that place and only that place is their promised land. So what does that tell us about the supposed Lehite/Israelites who sailed to America? Why would they build temples against the prophecies of the Old Testament on the brass plates? Why would God go against his own word that all Israelites would return to Jerusalem, their true promised land and tell the "Nephites" that America was their promised land?

What does this all tell us about the Mormon's penchant for building temples all over the place and their Masonic based ordinances?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Random wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:15 pm

This thoughtful comment really gives me some things to think about.

My understanding is that the early Christians went to the temple in Jerusalem until they were kicked out or it was destroyed. And I really think that there was no revelation from God that said to build many temples during pioneer times and later. I think it was overkill on the part of BY and those who came after.
If one really studies the Old Testament, it will be seen that the Lord chose only one place to establish His name and His Temple. That was Jerusalem in the land of Israel. A temple in any other place claiming to be his temple is in direct conflict with the ancient prophecies and a sign of an apostate religion.

The Jews were well enough thought of in Babylon that they could have gotten permission to build a modest temple there, so why didn't they? Speaking of which, in Babylon after the captivity, is the first time when synagogues (keneseth) were built in the ancient world and when the hebrew term "keneseth" began to be used. Previous to this there were no synagogues/keneseth in Israel.

So if Lehi left Israel BEFORE the captivity, why does the word "synagogue" appear in the Book of Mormon? Lehi and his supposed descendants wouldn't have known anything about synagogues. If anything the word should have been "keneseth" but Lehi or his descendants wouldn't even have known about the keneseth because they left before the captivity. So how does this Greek word "synagogue" get into the BofM??? No matter how you look at it it's all wrong. :|

Phony, phony, phony....... :roll:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Random

Post by Random » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:14 pm

Hm. 🤔

PK

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:47 am

2bizE wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:33 pm
5) offer a speed line like at Disney.
Much like the Pirates of the Carribean ride, but with stops for Temple stuff. You would pass through the veil and arrive directly at the Celestial Room and gift shop.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 am

I had the misfortune to have to attend church last Sunday. It was ward conference and the Stake Prez got up and read the letter from the first presidency to the congregation.

He went on to rail against the Tribune for publishing the exact wording changes because it is sacred. He was fuming- and then went on and on basically saying don't talk about Fight Club except at the super special place. He really didn't think his words through very well. It sounded so tantalizing I am sure many people in the congregation went home and googled the Tribune article.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 am
I had the misfortune to have to attend church last Sunday. It was ward conference and the Stake Prez got up and read the letter from the first presidency to the congregation.
I'm kind of surprised that my ward has simply not talked about the changes yet. I live within sight of the Gilbert temple and a bunch of temple workers are in my ward. Also, my wife was rather joyous that the announcement of the new ceremony. Having a 20 minute shorter ceremony was appreciated by the other temple rec holder in my house.

So, the reaction to public revelations about temple changes is all over the spectrum. It goes from an indignant "Dont' Talk about Fight Club" to publicly saying "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet". You kind of take a risk when discussing the temple and changes with believers.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:56 pm

We had a few vague hints and code words.

The wife went but hasn't openly discussed the changes or her opinion of them with me since.

I guess she's obeying the leaders rule not to talk about it.

(((Shrug)))
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:27 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 am
Having a 20 minute shorter ceremony...
Like the the meeting block time, members rejoice in the shrinking of any of these activities that so many outwardly claim to find so joyous and rewarding. Imagine how happy the membership would be if the church could somehow manage to shave off another hour from the endowment.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

dareka

Post by dareka » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:50 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:27 pm
Corsair wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 am
Having a 20 minute shorter ceremony...
Like the the meeting block time, members rejoice in the shrinking of any of these activities that so many outwardly claim to find so joyous and rewarding. Imagine how happy the membership would be if the church could somehow manage to shave off another hour from the endowment.
Exactly. If church meetings and the temple ceremony were so wonderful and uplifting, people would be disappointed that they were being shortened.

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:22 am

At ward conference on Sunday our SP spoke about going to the temple on January 2nd, and that he and his wife offered to watch all the grand kids so their children could go to the temple. He didn't mention specifically why January 2nd was special, or why they would then offer to watch all the grand kids for a special temple visit though.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:37 am

Sounds like Temple Club is getting better, but how do you advertise the improvements if a rule of Temple Club is to not talk about it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... r_morning/
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:14 pm

The Leopards in the Temple
A Parable by Franz Kafka

Leopards break into the Temple and drink to the dregs what is in the
paper Sacrament thimbles; this is repeated over and over again; finally, it
can be calculated in advance, and it becomes a part of the ceremony.
-- Franz Kafka, Parables and Paradoxes p. 93.
-- Moksha

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Here is the stated rule of temple club

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... cedes_the/

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:03 am

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:01 pm

So they are trying to pass it off as revelation from God. :roll:

I think it's interesting/funny that the command you not to discuss the "fact" of the changes outside the temple.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Unendowed

Post by Unendowed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:15 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:03 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:01 pm

So they are trying to pass it off as revelation from God.
But hey, it came from the "upper" room of the Salt Lake temple, so you know it's real.

It's funny to me that they include that little tidbit of info to give it an extra revelation cred boost.