Thoughtful wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:33 pm
This is being shared elsewhere:
These changes seem like changes that both make sense and seem reasonable, so I am inclined to believe this report.
- No change to the male initiatory.
- We are awaiting any report from a female initiatory.
Wouldn't expect changes since lots of other changes have recently already been made to initiatory.
1. It begins with a short, two minute message from the First Presidency, explaining that at times we update the endowment, that this came by revelation, and that members should not talk about any aspect of it, or even that there have been changes to the endowment. This explanation is not part of the Endowment, per se, but will play for a temporary period to explain.
The First Presidency is still under the impression that they can keep things under wraps when they want to. So naive. I'm sure they would like to keep it secret, I mean sacred, because it looks terrible for them that God keeps changing his mind, especially when we are so critical of people who changed the baptismal ordinance from immersion to sprinkling "for convenience."
2. The movie is new, consisting of little live action at all, mostly still pictures, even of Adam and Eve, with voice-over narration. There is new music, beautiful and appropriate.
Goal of this is probably just to shorten it without the long scenic shots.
3. Much of the repetitive "return and report" was eliminated.
So glad to see this go. It was so tedious. Again the goal was probably to shorten it.
4. God no longer speaks just to the man, but to both Adam and Eve equally.
5. The separate covenants of obedience for man and woman are integrated into a single covenant for all, with new language to obey god, which this temple worker found to be very uplifting.
Despite silence from the Q15, the feminists have definitely had an impact on them. Mormon feminist activism has made the world a slightly better place for Mormon women and I applaud them!
6. The robes are no longer applied for the Aaronic Priesthood, but rather, only done once for the Melchizedek/Terrestrial Kingdom. Slippers are no longer considered part of the robes and thus are not removed.
This is a pretty fundamental change to the ordinance. But again... good riddance. I bet the slippers thing is because the Q15 are old and bending down to make this change was difficult for them individually... especially when the seat in front of you doesn't give you much room.
7. Instead of "That will do" after covenants, the text now says 'Thank you'.
Language update. Great!
8. The Law of the Gospel is now referred to as the "Higher Law".
There is nuance here that is interesting.
9. The Law of Chastity is expressed with more equality.
10. At the end of the dramatic / movie section, BOTH Adam and Eve direct comments to the audience, and Eve has the last word.
11. No veiling of women.
I applaud the improved equality being shown here.
12. Total time was between 1 hour 20 and 1 hour 22 minutes, compared to over 1 hour 40 for the prior endowment.
We are awaiting any report as to if the Sealing has changed."
I doubt this will change.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.