Faith Crisis Report

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
blazerb

Re: Faith Crisis Report

Post by blazerb » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:18 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:23 pm
Can someone clarify the evidence of a link with Elder Christiansen please?
He is listed as the author on the 2nd page. It seems weird that his affiliation with Harvard would be noted on a report for church leaders.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:50 am

glass shelf wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:09 pm
My favorite bit was that Mormonthink is thought by many to be the most faith-eroding website because as soon as I read the essays and allowed myself to google, I ended up on mormonthink and was done.
That phrase "faith-eroding" comes up often. I find it annoying because in most cases it is referring to things that are truth-promoting.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:47 am

This study was definitely eye opening to me. Obviously no one knows how many of the higher-ups knew about it, but it seemed to be done with a team of faithful members who were well thought of (at the time anyway... cough Dehlin cough).

And to read why people leave and then see how the essays were soon produced afterwards, changes have been made to accommodate, etc... it's pretty clear that members are making an impact on the word of God which in and of itself is pretty damning.

Now if only we could get a new study that shows garments are a huge negative for members who are struggling... :lol:

shrugged

Post by shrugged » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:26 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:23 pm
Can someone clarify the evidence of a link with Elder Christiansen please?
He is listed as the author on the 2nd page. It seems weird that his affiliation with Harvard would be noted on a report for church leaders.
I thought that at first too, but I really think he’s only listed as the author of that quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:45 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:50 am
glass shelf wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:09 pm
My favorite bit was that Mormonthink is thought by many to be the most faith-eroding website because as soon as I read the essays and allowed myself to google, I ended up on mormonthink and was done.
That phrase "faith-eroding" comes up often. I find it annoying because in most cases it is referring to things that are truth-promoting.
They're just refuse to acknowledge that part of the issue is that the information itself is a problem. Of course, they can't fix the info itself, so they have to focus on other things. Where they say "faith-eroding," it's generally "factual but previously hidden by us."