The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
User avatar
no1saint
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 pm

The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by no1saint » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:06 pm

It seems that RMN is fast tracking a lot of changes through the Church right now at a pace unseen since SWK. Unlike GBH and DOM who were focused on globalising the LDS brand, SWK and RMN seem more focused on changes with an internal focus. There are parallels with priesthood quorum changes, the 3 hour and 2 hour block changes, SWK had the Dec II, RMN now has the latest temple changes, the most expansive since BY attempted to introduce the Adam-God theory at the veil, temple building and procedural changes to streamline things. Remember it was SWK who instituted correlation. Even the reinstitution of large area and regional meetings is straight out of the SWK playbook. What could be the DEC III for RMN?

But why the rush of changes? RMN has spoken openly of revelation since the new Children of LGBTQI parents policy/revelation (his words) was rolled out. He’s almost fanatical about ongoing revelation and wants to reinforce his prophetic calling and perogative to institute wide sweeping changes. Is it because he is trying to rush through things and protect his legacy before his inevitable decline in health and shunting into the figurehead only role? What other changes are there? Apparently his temple building plans will eclipse all others. Is this merely ego driven, or is the stream of people leaving so great that they are desperate to keep people in with constant changes and small concessions?

What do people think will change this year and in the future?

User avatar
wtfluff
Posts: 1720
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Worshiping Gravity / Pulling Taffy

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:26 pm

no1saint wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:06 pm
Is it because he is trying to rush through things and protect his legacy before his inevitable decline in health and shunting into the figurehead only role?
This is my vote: It's Several months before his 95th birthday right now. He's gotta get schtuff done before he dies! (I suspect his child bride is pushing some things from the shadows also. :twisted: )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

Keep the company of those who seek the truth - run from those who have found it -Václav Havel

Who taught you how to hate?

User avatar
alas
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:10 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by alas » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:05 pm

I noticed that he seems to be rushing things too. Especially with the temple changes. Every other time the temple changed they waited to make a new film. This time they roll them out with a slide show because they didn’t have time to do a decent job with a real film?

It made me wonder if, being a doctor, he knows something about his health that we don’t know.

User avatar
EternityIsNow
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:48 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by EternityIsNow » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:34 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:05 pm
I noticed that he seems to be rushing things too. Especially with the temple changes. Every other time the temple changed they waited to make a new film. This time they roll them out with a slide show because they didn’t have time to do a decent job with a real film?

It made me wonder if, being a doctor, he knows something about his health that we don’t know.
He knows the odds are against him time-wise. He has already outlived both his parents, based on Wikipedia, his mother lived to be 90 and father lived to be 93. So everything is fast-tracked.

Also, he probably has differences with Oaks and wants to cement in changes before Oaks grabs the reigns. Strike while the iron's hot.

And Nelson is ultra TBM. His parents were inactive in the church, he joined at age 16, this is his agenda, probably in progress for 70+ years. Why wait. The pace of change will be rapid in the next few months in my opinion. A year from now the church could look very different.

User avatar
1smartdodog
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by 1smartdodog » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:46 am

Perhaps he is getting revelation. God is tired of do nothing prophets.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

User avatar
wtfluff
Posts: 1720
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Worshiping Gravity / Pulling Taffy

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:06 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:46 am
Perhaps he is getting revelation. God is tired of do nothing prophets.
Here's the thing: All indications are that LDS-Inc. is bleeding members. Even their own published statistics show this.

If there was an invisible, all-powerful being that cared about mormonism actually giving RMN "revelation," wouldn't some of his changes actually do something to stop the bleeding? Pulling a temper-tantrum about people using the word mormon? Kids who will turn 12 all advance at the same time? Changing the temple ceremony to an even more boring movie, and so it's a teeny-tiny bit less misogynistic? 60 minutes less of boring meetings per week?

RMN might be making "changes," but they are insignificant bandages attempting to cover a gaping wound. These changes mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

A real "revelation" would be RMN stepping up to the mic and actually being honest. That would be completely unprecedented in the entire history of LDS-Inc.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

Keep the company of those who seek the truth - run from those who have found it -Václav Havel

Who taught you how to hate?

User avatar
2bizE
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by 2bizE » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:35 am

I predict a major update to the WoW.
It will be stated that the original WoW was for an earlier time. Things have changed, and an update is needed. It will allow drinking of coffee and tea, red wine in small quantities, weed will be banned without a prescription as well as drugs. Probably something about abuse of prescription narcotics will be included as well.
~2bizE

User avatar
nibbler
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by nibbler » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:25 pm

I'm also thinking that we're leading up to a change to the WoW.

I'm not chomping at the bit to drink tea or coffee, if they are taken off the list I'll in all likelihood continue to not drink them. That's my disclaimer stating I don't have skin in the game. But banning coffee and tea really makes us look ridiculous these days (IMO) and it probably has a huge effect on the convert baptism rates. How many more people would get baptized each year if they could continue drinking their coffee? Given the declining convert baptism rates I bet if the church ever did an official survey on that the WoW would change overnight.
We see things not as they are, but as we are ourselves. - H.M. Tomlinson

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 2509
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:06 am
A real "revelation" would be RMN stepping up to the mic and actually being honest. That would be completely unprecedented in the entire history of LDS-Inc.
Either that or actually saying "Thus saith the Lord" and committing to a revelation, rather than hinting at a "revelation."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 2509
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:40 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:35 am
I predict a major update to the WoW.
It will be stated that the original WoW was for an earlier time. Things have changed, and an update is needed. It will allow drinking of coffee and tea, red wine in small quantities, weed will be banned without a prescription as well as drugs. Probably something about abuse of prescription narcotics will be included as well.
I would love to see more emphasis on prescription drug abuse, but with an eye to providing loving help to members with abuse issues, rather than shaming and punishing them. I would be really surprised if tea and coffee went back on the menu. They are important insider/outsider behavior markers in the workplace. But I would really, really love to hear an official defense for what's wrong with tea and coffee, now that cold bubbly caffeine is ok.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

User avatar
blazerb
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by blazerb » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:47 pm

If changes are made to the WoW, I'll be happily surprised. I love tea. I will also be really surprised. However, I was surprised by 2 hour church and changes to the temple. It seems like everything is on the table now. It really seems like RMN wants to make changes while he can.

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 2509
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:28 pm

I'm praying for garments next but I'm afraid that's a bit too weird and intimate for the leaders to deal with. It was a shock to members when the church admitted that garments are not magical, although I think a small percentage read that or would like to believe they are the armor of God. Besides, garments are the only way the church has so much control over you that they are actually touching your junk at all times. Who owns you? Whoever is touching your (or your spouse's) genitalia RIGHT NOW. I would happily hand over the keys of my marriage to Mr. Klein, Mr. Hanes, or the Fruit of the Loom gang.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 2027
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:45 am

What does Dec II stand for?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 2027
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:48 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:28 pm
I would happily hand over the keys of my marriage to Mr. Klein, Mr. Hanes, or the Fruit of the Loom gang.
Are you suggesting drawing a compass, square, and protractor on your briefs with a permanent marker?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wakarusa
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by wakarusa » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:41 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:45 am
What does Dec II stand for?
I'm assuming this is a reference to Official Declaration 2... Allowing all worthy males the priesthood (including those of African descent).

User avatar
1smartdodog
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:07 am

nibbler wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:25 pm
I'm also thinking that we're leading up to a change to the WoW.

I'm not chomping at the bit to drink tea or coffee, if they are taken off the list I'll in all likelihood continue to not drink them. That's my disclaimer stating I don't have skin in the game. But banning coffee and tea really makes us look ridiculous these days (IMO) and it probably has a huge effect on the convert baptism rates. How many more people would get baptized each year if they could continue drinking their coffee? Given the declining convert baptism rates I bet if the church ever did an official survey on that the WoW would change overnight.
Don't really care about coffee or tea. But put beer on the menu please. Maybe they could put some kind of limit on it, say two beers a week. That would work I think.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

User avatar
1smartdodog
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:06 am
1smartdodog wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:46 am
Perhaps he is getting revelation. God is tired of do nothing prophets.
Here's the thing: All indications are that LDS-Inc. is bleeding members. Even their own published statistics show this.

If there was an invisible, all-powerful being that cared about mormonism actually giving RMN "revelation," wouldn't some of his changes actually do something to stop the bleeding? Pulling a temper-tantrum about people using the word mormon? Kids who will turn 12 all advance at the same time? Changing the temple ceremony to an even more boring movie, and so it's a teeny-tiny bit less misogynistic? 60 minutes less of boring meetings per week?

RMN might be making "changes," but they are insignificant bandages attempting to cover a gaping wound. These changes mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

A real "revelation" would be RMN stepping up to the mic and actually being honest. That would be completely unprecedented in the entire history of LDS-Inc.
Joking I was, but the point is valid. I think the issue is the current leaders have set themselves up that anything they say is revelation. Hence they can proclaim the most trivial things to be direction from god.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 2509
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:53 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 am
I think the issue is the current leaders have set themselves up that anything they say is revelation. Hence they can proclaim the most trivial things to be direction from god.
COB employee 1: "Where's President Nelson?"

COB employee 2: "He just revealed that he needed to visit the men's room."

COB employee 1: "The church is true!"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

User avatar
Palerider
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 am

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by Palerider » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:23 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:53 am
1smartdodog wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 am
I think the issue is the current leaders have set themselves up that anything they say is revelation. Hence they can proclaim the most trivial things to be direction from god.
COB employee 1: "Where's President Nelson?"

COB employee 2: "He just revealed that he needed to visit the men's room."

COB employee 1: "The church is true!"
:D :lol: :D
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

User avatar
jfro18
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by jfro18 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:44 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:53 am
1smartdodog wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 am
I think the issue is the current leaders have set themselves up that anything they say is revelation. Hence they can proclaim the most trivial things to be direction from god.
COB employee 1: "Where's President Nelson?"

COB employee 2: "He just revealed that he needed to visit the men's room."

COB employee 1: "The church is true!"
"The Lord impressed upon his mind that he needed to relieve himself at the porcelain temple"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest