The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

Re: The changing face of LDS INC under RMN...why the rush?

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Palerider wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:22 pm
slavereeno wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:59 am
My TBM Mother assured me that all these changes are because Jesus is coming, like really soon guys.
Even if He were to come next week, LDS leadership would be:

1. In total shock because they were clueless.
2. Embarrassed because the Savior presented in Jerusalem and is totally ignoring them.
3. Is inviting all who hunger and thirst after righteousness to come to Israel not Missouri.... :roll:
4. Ask him to shave his beard.
5. Ask him to cut his hair.
6. Require two deep leadership to teach a primary class.
7. Refuse to let him in the temple due to lack of a temple recommend.
8. Shame him for not wearing garments.
9. Think he was gay.
10. Won't give him a chair on the conference center stage.
11. Probably ask him if he masturbates.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:52 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:52 pm
Palerider wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:22 pm
slavereeno wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:59 am
My TBM Mother assured me that all these changes are because Jesus is coming, like really soon guys.
Even if He were to come next week, LDS leadership would be:

1. In total shock because they were clueless.
2. Embarrassed because the Savior presented in Jerusalem and is totally ignoring them.
3. Is inviting all who hunger and thirst after righteousness to come to Israel not Missouri.... :roll:
6. Require two deep leadership to teach a primary class.
7. Refuse to let him in the temple due to lack of a temple recommend.
8. Shame him for not wearing garments.
9. Think he was gay.
10. Won't give him a chair on the conference center stage.
11. Probably ask him if he masturbates.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bednar would be so F-ing pissed if Jesus stood up before him.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:23 pm

I'm sure this is "ask" in the sense of "tell" or "give a command politely."
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

John G.

Post by John G. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:17 pm
Really cool 1972 vs 2018 conference picture. Really shows the contrast.

The white shirt uniform came from a general conference talk by Eyring in early 2000s. He used the symbology of the pure white shirts...that it shouldn't be a requirement, but it was in a way an unofficial uniform and he encouraged priesthood holders to wear them on Sunday. Slowly it became more and more widespread of a practice. My last couple years of being active, it was pretty much required to bless or pass the sacrament. Similar to I think it was Kimball who said he wouldn't drink caffeinated soda. It was never a requirement, but those wanting to stay as far from the ledge as possible and follow every tenet to the letter adopted it, to the point where people still often think Mormons in general don't drink coke.
Thank you for explaining the white shirts! I kept reading about the white-shirt rule on ex-mo websites, but I myself never remembered it growing up in the 80’s.

I guess it was because I went inactive right after my mission in the 90’s and pretty much missed that stupid rule! Mystery solved!
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson

Lloyd Christmas

Post by Lloyd Christmas » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:39 pm

John G. wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 pm
Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:17 pm
Really cool 1972 vs 2018 conference picture. Really shows the contrast.

The white shirt uniform came from a general conference talk by Eyring in early 2000s. He used the symbology of the pure white shirts...that it shouldn't be a requirement, but it was in a way an unofficial uniform and he encouraged priesthood holders to wear them on Sunday. Slowly it became more and more widespread of a practice. My last couple years of being active, it was pretty much required to bless or pass the sacrament. Similar to I think it was Kimball who said he wouldn't drink caffeinated soda. It was never a requirement, but those wanting to stay as far from the ledge as possible and follow every tenet to the letter adopted it, to the point where people still often think Mormons in general don't drink coke.
Thank you for explaining the white shirts! I kept reading about the white-shirt rule on ex-mo websites, but I myself never remembered it growing up in the 80’s.

I guess it was because I went inactive right after my mission in the 90’s and pretty much missed that stupid rule! Mystery solved!

You're very welcome. It's interesting to hear about some of the changes after leaving and how they came about. There's been several since I left myself and I wouldn't really know except for NOM and also my mother who likes to keep me informed as the ultimate TBM.