Is there a new word yet?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Is there a new word yet?

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:42 am

Ever since President Russell Nelson nixed the words LDS and Mormon as being Satanic, I've been trying to use alternatives. In real life, the name COJCOLDS draws a blank if you mention it.

Referring to Mormons as Saints seems to make non-Mormons bristle and they point out that the word should be reserved for something other than Mormons. What Saint in their right mind would want to give offense to others by calling themselves a name that paints themselves as both arrogant and boorish?

Hope someone at Church headquarters is working on a suitable name replacement. Best wishes on something insightful and inspired that does not embarrass members at the mention of such a name. I can tell you ahead of time that an "I'm a COJCOLDS" media campaign will draw both head scratches and guffaws.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

1smartdodog

Re: Is there a new word yet?

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 am

Its not the first time the term Mormon has been attempted to be nixed from the tribe. It is to ingrained in culture both in and out of the church. Has been since the early days. Its not going anyplace soon. I suspect we will be using it long after RMN is long gone.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:25 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 am
I suspect we will be using it long after RMN is long gone.
Do you think it will be reintroduced via revelation?
"God phoned in and said that after careful etymological scrutiny the word Mormon was not found to be satanic after all."

Wonder how many members really believe the word is satanic?
If not for the Saint's reverence for President Nelson, would they just write it off as an eccentricity on Nelson's part?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 pm

I think God is fine with it being called the Mormon church because that is exactly what it is. He probably prefers it.

I had a dream the other night. I dreamt of all the Mormon temples in the world. They grew legs and traveled to Jerusalem where the Great Temple had been built and they all bowed themselves down before it and were ashamed for their pretense.

A voice from the Great Temple asked, "Where are your builders?"

The pretend temples said, they aren't showing up. They are afraid.

Then I awoke and wondered at my dream. Did I just recieve a revelation?

Nahhhh...... 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:28 pm

I like The So Called Church acronym TSCC - fits whatever they want to come up with now and in the future.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:48 pm

I feel that the gods have prepared the answer for us through football.

We have an upcoming NFL game: Eagles vs Saints. If the Saints beat the Eagles next week, that will be the sign that "Saints" is an acceptable moniker. If the Eagles win, this means Eagle Scouts are ok (a big part of the Mormon church under Thomas S Monson, a huge scouting supporter), which means we can continue or return to calling ourselves Mormon.

If the game ends in a tie, COJCOLDS it is!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 am

It's going to be an interesting experiment to see how the average believing member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" changes their speech and thought patterns going forward.

I did point out to some believers that "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" shortens to a new acronym if you leave "The" on the front of "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". At that point it is TCOJCOLDS and if you add in the letter "a" and a few spaces you get: TaCO J COLDS which does sound like the mascot of a Mexican restaurant that now serves ice cream.

Taco J. Colds is also somewhat cool, much like the "Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square" has an acronym of "Tab CaTS" which sounds way more groovy and hip than the preeminent singing group of the LDS church has ever been described over a century of "Music and the Spoken Word".

For many years, the catch phrase of "Music and the Spoken Word" has been Richard L. Evans's hallmark phrase, beginning with, "From the Crossroads of the West, we welcome you to Temple Square in Salt Lake City for Music and the Spoken Word with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square." It can now be shortened to "Taco J Colds present Tab Cats!" which does sound like a new show on "Nickelodeon" aimed at the junior high age group.

Clearly we are in for several years of clumsy transitions are the institutional LDS church tries to undo 200 years of common nomenclature and not sound entirely ridiculous.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:21 am

Did he nix "L.D.S?" I've been trying to use it more since the directive, in order to show respect. Am I still an offender for a word? (Isaiah 29:21)
Last edited by deacon blues on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:14 am

Palerider wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 pm
I had a dream the other night. I dreamt of all the Mormon temples in the world. They grew legs and traveled to Jerusalem where the Great Temple had been built and they all bowed themselves down before it and were ashamed for their pretense.

Awesome.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:14 am
Palerider wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Awesome.
Just to be clear this was not an actual dream. Just came off the top of my head....which at times is actually very small. Almost pin sized...

But it can be imaginative at times as well. I may be suffering from "Azrael syndrome" :roll:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Palerider wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 pm
But it can be imaginative at times as well. I may be suffering from "Azrael syndrome" :roll:
I don’t want to overstate by saying I “miss” Azrael but he did give me some interesting reading for a few days!!

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:53 am

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:21 am
Did he nix "L.D.S?"
Yes, LDS was also on President Nelson's satanic list. President Nelson wants to use the name Church of Jesus Christ, but members are unable to call themselves the Church of Jesus Christ. The best they could do would be to call themselves members of the Church of Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately for President Nelson's idea, the Church is officially registered under the name The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Can't leave off the Latter-day Saints for official reasons, even if most corporate business occurs under the Corporation of the First Presidency and its subsidiaries.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:53 am
Unfortunately for President Nelson's idea, the Church is officially registered under the name The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Can't leave off the Latter-day Saints for official reasons, even if most corporate business occurs under the Corporation of the First Presidency and its subsidiaries.
Actually, ALL "church business" occurs under the Corporation of the Presiding Bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Corporation of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Intellectual Reserve, Inc. (And subsidiaries I'm sure.)

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" DOES NOT EXIST as a legal entity. The name: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" is a registered trademark. Nothing more.

Maybe we should call people formerly known as mormons, Trademark™ Members?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:12 am

I really think Russy ought to take a hint from the Biblical scriptures:

Acts 11:26

"And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch."

There are also references to the members as "saints".

Wiki terms it this way:

"A saint is a person who is recognized as having an exceptional degree of holiness or likeness or closeness to God. Depending on the context and denomination, the term also retains its original Christian meaning, as any believer who is "in Christ" and in whom Christ dwells, whether in Heaven or on Earth."

So, in my book, believers in Christ should be called Christians or saints and should be said to be members of the Christian religion. A disciple of Christ would also seem acceptable. Although not to be confused with the moniker of that actual denomination.

Of course Christians of all denominations should look forward to the time when Christ himself will return and at that time establish His kingdom (not church) in it's fullness and glory and Israel will finally be gathered out from among the nations.

This will all be very disconcerting for the Mormon church but sincere members will abandon the church and it's leaders in droves to join themselves to true power, justice and mercy in the safety of the real kingdom. The difference will be so terribly obvious that leadership will only stand in amazement and do nothing.

Even moreso, all of their accumulated wealth will become meaningless. For all people will acknowledge the true ownership of the Creator.

But that's just me..... ;)

George Washington

alas

Post by alas » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Let’s call them Rusty’s minions.

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:52 pm

This is such nonsense. Old senile man doing still another thing to "separate the sheep from the goats".

Wait a minute- yowzer- that's a name isn't it- The Church of Sheep and Goats and Senile Snakes

This nonsense is going to cost millions of dollars and for what? Because God is pissed that nicknames and acronyms are being used. Good grief.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:08 pm

When people ask if I'm Mormon, I say Yes, I'm a fundamentalist.
It makes them think.
~2bizE

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Codge Colds? That's what that sounds like to me.

I call them Mormon or LDS. Since I haven't talked to a tbm about the church for a long time, I don't know if they'd bristle or not.

Hey, Codge! Um, Mr/Ms Colds?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:17 pm

What about a revelation that be called the Nelsonites.
~2bizE

alas

Post by alas » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:47 am

2bizE wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:17 pm
What about a revelation that be called the Nelsonites.
Actually, we are all forgetting that among Mormon studies, or rather, among those who study the group of churches that broke off of the church that Joseph Smith started, we are known as Brighamites. We followed Brigham Young, as opposed to those who followed Strang, who are known as Strangites. So, there is already a word. We are Brighamites.

I suppose the beauty of that is it would bother RMN even more than the term Mormons.

I think in reality, this is one time that even the good members are going to ignore their prophet, as there just isn’t another word and trying to get rid of the word that has been used for almost 200 years is just silly. They can get around it with things like The Choir At Temple Square. So, are we the Worshippers of Temple Square? That would twist Rusty’s knickers. His suggestions are claiming things that offend others with the same claim to restoration or of being the church of Christ, so, they just won’t do. We don’t gain respect in the Christian community by stepping on the toes of other Christians. So, sorry, but Rusty is out of his ever lov’in mind in attempting to get rid of the term “Mormon”. It is like a group of Jews deciding they don’t like to be called Jews because lots of people hate Jews. Well, if you don’t want to be hated, build bridges, make friends, help others, BE Christian, as in kind, charitable and loving your neighbor. But no, Rusty wants to stop being hated by stepping on the toes of other Christians. Smart.🤪