Another devotional aimed at keeping believers from looking behind the curtain - this time @ BYU

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Re: Another devotional aimed at keeping believers from looking behind the curtain - this time @ BYU

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:08 pm

I've seen the welding of the church with God as a cult practice. It cements the church into a position of power in people's minds.

For example:

1. Why would anyone disobey God by leaving the church?
2. If you leave the church, you turn your back on the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
3. You should follow the Gospel of Jesus Christ and pay your tithing as the Lord commanded!

All of these things fuse god and church. Its a cult sign.

With this talk?...the church is running scared. And THEY KNOW IT!

Hagoth

Re: Another devotional aimed at keeping believers from looking behind the curtain - this time @ BYU

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:17 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:16 pm
God confirms to them that the religion of their upbringing or culture is true in order to prepare them for Mormonism. If they believe in God or even Goodness that is a step in the right direction so he would help them to feel a spiritual confirmation as a stepping stone to accepting (Mormonism)
Of course, anyone could make the same statement from their perspective. God confirms to Mormons that their church is true as a prepare them to accept Seventh Day Adventism.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."