The leaked videos

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

The leaked videos

Post by moksha » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:41 pm

Did anyone see those leaked Church videos that were in the news in the last two weeks?

If so, did it strike anyone as odd that the best and the brightest (and perhaps the most obsequious when it came to politicians) were making the presentations rather than asking the questions?

Why didn't the Brethren receive some inspiration to choose Elder Gerrit Gong over less capable choices?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

kingstontrio

Re: The leaked videos

Post by kingstontrio » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:38 am

I saw the videos and wondered what the hubbub was all about after watching them. If anything, it showed me how people(the presenters) sort of cower around the 12. I had to laugh when someone shouted out..."LOUDER!"...to one of the presenters. The 12 looked pretty bored so I doubt they shouted that. That was probably an assistant to the 12. I guess the one interesting thing was that the senator said something about calling the church to find out how to vote. He also voted by his Church Handbook of Instruction. This is what one might expect when they elect a Mormon senator(except Reid). I got the impression that his staff had constant communication with the church on every vote.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:08 am

I'm not sure they were really listening to the presenters as much as trying to make sure there was no chance of them being gay.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:20 am

I did not watch all, but some parts were pretty revealing. More than anything though, I found myself thinking how utterly uninspiring the whole lot was.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

John G.

Post by John G. » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:32 pm

I kind of don't think the senator in videos was all that out of line. Politicians tend to lay it on pretty thick when they are trying to get support from a political interest group. They tend to say a lot of insincere things about how they will do anything to help the group achieve the political goals the group and the politician both support. This is especially easy to promise everything to a group like the church which supports issues that are also Republican Party issues. Also, the church, as a religion, probably wouldn't take advantage of the senator's offer of help as much as a business would.
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson

clean sweep

Post by clean sweep » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:29 am

Being an avid Reddit reader and poster I took a great deal of time reading and looking. Was any of it earth shattering. I don't think so. What it did was show what was really important to the Q15 and what their emphasis was at the time. I said this on the other side. What I would have really loved to see was the video of Elder Gong's report concerning the loss of the bid to overturn same sex marriage laws in Utah. That would have been very interesting. The videos won't destroy the church but they will indeed get people to think about the church and what they emphasize. Also the folks over on Reddit who are working on the documents and how to use them with the videos are not going to make the same mistake Tom Phillips made. Before they release their investigation of the worst of the documents they want to verify and cooberate the evidence. They also are waiting for this horrendous election time to end. They do not want the world to miss their information because it is buried under the Trump sex scandal or the obvious problem that part of the country has with the idea that anyone is better in the White House than a woman. Interesting times right now. Let's just wait and see.
The organization and constant onward sweep of this movement exemplifies the resentment of the many toward the selfishness, greed and the neglect of the few. John L. Lewis

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:36 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBH045ooaY0

This is one of my favorites, mainly because of the last minute or so. I swear I can hear passing of gas, and then a bit of giggling going on there, and then I think it's Elder packer that says "Finally our time is up" as soon as he gets a chance.

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:35 pm

LostMormon wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBH045ooaY0

This is one of my favorites, mainly because of the last minute or so. I swear I can hear passing of gas, and then a bit of giggling going on there, and then I think it's Elder packer that says "Finally our time is up" as soon as he gets a chance.
Definitely a fart! Could this be the "smokeing gun'?? (Pun intended)

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:35 am

That is funny, yes - I am 5 yrs old.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:49 am

A New Name wrote:

Definitely a fart! Could this be the "smokeing gun'?? (Pun intended)

Very possible, especially if they had a lighter handy. :lol:

Perhaps the reason for no video?

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:06 pm

I think that the leaked videos will mostly go unnoticed except I think that one of the Senator fawning at the brethren's feet may make it more difficult for Mormon politicians in the future, especially for those with presidential aspirations.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:15 pm

Here's an interesting video of side-by-side comments about what church leadership tells the outside world, compared to what goes on behind closed doors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90EJXrG01O0
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."