Nose in the tent?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Brent

Nose in the tent?

Post by Brent » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:30 am

Or foot in the door or only Nixon could go to China...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/20 ... yist-says/

Just This Guy

Re: Nose in the tent?

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:46 am

LDS Inc. realizing it's a fight that won't end well for them, no matter the outcome? Only way to win is not to play.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:38 am

“Continually, we’re being blamed as the ones holding this up, and so we wanted to let people know that since 2016, we have not taken a position on hate crimes, and we are not opposed to a hate-crimes piece of legislation,” the church’s lobbyist, Marty Stephens, said.

How kind of them to stop trying to hold up anti hate-crime legislation in Utah for the past two years. That certainly clears up their history of abuse towards LGBT which continues through this day in their buildings.

Brent

Post by Brent » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:15 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:46 am
LDS Inc. realizing it's a fight that won't end well for them, no matter the outcome? Only way to win is not to play.
This issue is making them bleed Millennials and Generation Z so it makes sense to figure out a way to solve this problem.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:24 pm

I think hobbits should be on the hate crime bill.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:20 pm

It would be nice if the Church actually came out and supported such hate crimes legislation. However, I suspect this does not represent the same level of moral concern for the Church as would a bill prohibiting bare shoulders and upper arms.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:57 pm

The LDS Church is breaking its silence on attempts to strengthen Utah’s hate-crimes law, potentially breathing life into a measure that has previously run aground in the Legislature.
Well how F*cking noble of them!

This is the COB trying to have it both ways: hurting gay people with their closed door policies but pretending to protect them out in public. It's just like their corporate leaders saying they talk for God but sometimes talk as men and make mistakes, but trust them, they are as transparent as they know how to be. Reminds me of that scripture: They speak of me with their lips but their hearts are far from me.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:26 pm

I noticed that Governor Herbert suddenly got on board once the church made their statement. He's the same Governor Herbert who announced that the church should have final say on medical marijuana, regardless of what the bill said and how the people voted.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:34 pm

2bizE wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:24 pm
I think hobbits should be on the hate crime bill.
Who hates hobbits? Now orcs . . . .