RFM Podcast on Renlund Devotional

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

RFM Podcast on Renlund Devotional

Post by consiglieri » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:15 am

Part 1 of a projected 3-part podcast on the Renlund Devotional went up yesterday at Radio Free Mormon.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... le-part-1/

Bill Reel and I have a lot of fun with this one!

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

redjay

Re: RFM Podcast on Renlund Devotional

Post by redjay » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:29 am

Already listened and awaiting the second instalment - thank you.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:21 pm

I always love it when an RFM podcast pops up... and I was waiting for this one since their talk. Great stuff, can't wait for parts 2 and 3!

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:31 am

Gave this a listen on the way home last night. The voice style and inflections by Renlund and wife were so grinding and annoying I could barely get through the audio. It was amazing to me how terrible this analogy was that they were laying out, even before RFM tore it apart, then it was even more amazing how terrible it was!

Is this really the best the church has? The best an anointed seer can come up with to represent the church? If they keep this up, that religion is headed toward even more shrinkage than ever before. Ever swim in a glacial lake that has ice in it? Brother won't find his testicles for several days. That's the kind of shrinkage this kind of nonsense will cause the church if they keep on the same themes. An I thought the "Wrong Roads" Holland BS was as bad as it could get!

At least with this new old rusty dingy analogy...it's actually an accurate description of the COB - stale old crackers, crappy water, hard of hearing, trouble hanging on to the rudder...

Last edited by RubinHighlander on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks Consiglieri! Just when I think I'm running out of stuff to listen to on my commute, you always come through and save the day.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:18 pm

Great podcast but you didn't go far enough with your opening analogy. The problem is more than just "obeying your captain".

In the first place, the old captain of the "dingy dinghy" doesn't pick the guy up to save him. He picks the young man up for the express purpose to make use of him as a servant/slave. He actually becomes a captive on the boat. To go where the captain wants to go and do what he wants to do, as long as the old captain wants to do it.

He "promises" he will take him to shore but only after he has exploited him to whatever degree possible.

2 Peter 2:3 (regarding false prophets)

"And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you..."
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:26 pm

It's always a good day with Consiglieri and Bill Reel do a glorious deconstruction on the fireside of a church leader. Church leaders simply have no fear of being cross-examined with any Socratic examination since they only speak in situations where they fully control the venue. This must be the monster in the closet that they fear when they go to sleep at night.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:03 pm

Excellent work consig!! I wonder if you guys would consider looking at the trending of these types of talks. You have Eyring Jr's "am I True", Cook's fail with the Saints launch, Renlund, RMN's revelation talk, changes that are obviously pushed by outside pressure - there is a definite trend here to lock people in and lock up their minds.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:53 pm

I listened to this last night, can't wait for the second part.

I was so annoyed at listening to the condescending infantalizing tone of the Renlunds tone and content before to really digest it. But in this podcast when its pointed out that a freaking apostle is comparing the church to a beat up, nasty old, wayward boat with terrible food and water and a deaf and dirty captain it really put things into perspective, and I started laughing at the analogy. Is this really the best they have to offer?

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:07 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:26 pm
Church leaders simply have no fear of being cross-examined with any Socratic examination since they only speak in situations where they fully control the venue. This must be the monster in the closet that they fear when they go to sleep at night.
At least in the past they could attempt to control any blowback to the Bishop's or SP's office. They can no longer keep honest dissent a secret.

Now they have very public and truth based disagreement that they dare not confront in like manner. They may choose to keep preaching only to the choir but that choir is going to continue to diminish along with leadership's standing.

The time is approaching:

Luke 12:1-2

"Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known." ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:13 pm

consiglieri wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:15 am
Part 1 of a projected 3-part podcast on the Renlund Devotional went up yesterday at Radio Free Mormon.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... le-part-1/

Bill Reel and I have a lot of fun with this one!

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
Consiglieri - I hope you and Bill are also planning to tackle the recent BYU devotional by Corbridge. Love your podcast!
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:14 am

Part 2 posted last night. Church Wack-A-MOle. I'm about half way though listening to it, but it lives up to the usual high expectations.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:53 pm

Finished part 2 today. I'd like to thank the boys for validating my thoughts on the "don't leave the boat" metaphor back when Ballard talked about the Old Ship Zion. It immediately felt so opposite to Jesus asking Peter to leave the boat. Very much a cult trait.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:59 pm

Also just listened to part 2, fantastic.

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:12 pm

For any who may be interested . . .

. . . Part 3 just went up!

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... le-part-3/

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:24 pm

Palerider wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:18 pm
In the first place, the old captain of the "dingy dinghy" doesn't pick the guy up to save him. He picks the young man up for the express purpose to make use of him as a servant/slave. He actually becomes a captive on the boat. To go where the captain wants to go and do what he wants to do, as long as the old captain wants to do it.
So true, but I never saw it this way until you pointed it out.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:30 pm

Random wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:24 pm

So true, but I never saw it this way until you pointed it out.
I'm sure TBMs and church leadership would deny this proposition and castigate me for assigning such bad motives to the beloved "brethren".

But if you think about it, if your organization offers "works based" salvation and they're in the business of telling you what works they want done and when and how you're going to do those works.... you're little more than a slave.

There are "works" in Grace based salvation but those works grow out of the goodness and the desires of our hearts. They aren't assigned to us and we don't report at the end of every month or every quarter. They aren't counted in numbers of endowment sessions we did last month.

The widow' s mite was given according to her own conscience, not because she had to maintain her temple recommend.

Whether they know it or not, the brethren are complicit in maintaining a form of psychological entrapment and temporal servitude.

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:34 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:53 pm
... comparing the church to a beat up, nasty old, wayward boat...
And they even admit it's going in circles, and always turning to the right when no one's watching the tiller. Do the Renlunds even realize what they're saying with these two comments? Are they Freudian slips or just coincidences?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."