Who's the trickster?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Reuben

Who's the trickster?

Post by Reuben » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:18 pm

In a lot of belief systems, a trickster plays a central role. The character's main job seems to be subversion. Its unpredictability helps adherents toss their certainty that everything is well-ordered and understandable, often with a laugh or two.

Loki and Coyote are obvious ones. A big part of Buddhism is questioning assumptions, so the Teacher is often the trickster. Satan is a trickster in the book of Job. I think Jesus is often a trickster.

Does Mormonism have a trickster?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

2bizE

Re: Who's the trickster?

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:27 pm

I think the Q15 for sure. Apologists like Dan Peterson. They all seem to perpetuate the myth.
Does the coyote know what he is doing? Or is he just being a coyote?
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:22 pm

Reuben wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:18 pm
Joseph Smith himself? He certainly shook things up. The modern LDS church is not a fan of tricksters. You can't control a trickster. Anyone as revolutionary as Joseph Smith, or any other trickster, would simply not be welcome in the modern LDS church.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:22 pm
Reuben wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:18 pm
Joseph Smith himself? He certainly shook things up. The modern LDS church is not a fan of tricksters. You can't control a trickster. Anyone as revolutionary as Joseph Smith, or any other trickster, would simply not be welcome in the modern LDS church.
That was my first thought. He certainly does defy expectations in every way, no matter what your expectations are. Think you understand heaven? Babies rule there. Think you understand judgment? Joseph is totally gonna be glorified even after all the crap he pulled. Think he was just a con artist? He's so sincere in his private thoughts...

The dude won't fit in anybody's box. He was a living koan.

FWIW, I would love to see the living koan embraced. A trickster won't let you keep your nice, tidy worldview. Some uncertainty is in order.

Any other tricksters?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:14 pm

Mormonism itself is the trickster!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:38 pm

J. Golden Kimball was the legendary trickster when I was young. I don't know that there is anyone filling that role today. The leaders don't like the thought of tricksters.

redjay

Post by redjay » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:47 am

remember this little gem?

"The story is told of a council meeting involving the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Twelve Apostles. During the meeting, the Prophet rebuked Brigham Young from head o toe in front of the others, accusing him of something he had not done. When Joseph had finished his rebuke, the other brethren sat silently awaiting Brigham Young's response. Brigham Young rose to his feet. He was a strong man. He could have reacted and said: "Now, look here, haven't you read how you're not supposed to rebuke in public, but only in private?" Or, "Brother Joseph, doesn't it say something in the revelations about persuasion, and long-suffering, and gentleness and meekness?" Or, "Joseph, you are dead wrong. I would never do that." But Brigham Young did not react in any of those ways. He acted and said simply, "Joseph, what do you want me to do?" Joseph burst into tears, approached Brigham Young, threw his arms around him and said, "Brother Brigham, you passed [the test]" (See Truman Madsen, Joseph Smith the Prophet, p. 88).
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Random

Post by Random » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:50 pm

Passed the test of being obedient to a man?

Or is it a story created simply to create a follow the prophet mentality?

(I really don't know, but I have mistrusted this story ever since I first heard it when I was tbm.)
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:09 pm

redjay wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:47 am
remember this little gem?

"The story is told of a council meeting involving the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Twelve Apostles. During the meeting, the Prophet rebuked Brigham Young from head o toe in front of the others, accusing him of something he had not done. When Joseph had finished his rebuke, the other brethren sat silently awaiting Brigham Young's response. Brigham Young rose to his feet. He was a strong man. He could have reacted and said: "Now, look here, haven't you read how you're not supposed to rebuke in public, but only in private?" Or, "Brother Joseph, doesn't it say something in the revelations about persuasion, and long-suffering, and gentleness and meekness?" Or, "Joseph, you are dead wrong. I would never do that." But Brigham Young did not react in any of those ways. He acted and said simply, "Joseph, what do you want me to do?" Joseph burst into tears, approached Brigham Young, threw his arms around him and said, "Brother Brigham, you passed [the test]" (See Truman Madsen, Joseph Smith the Prophet, p. 88).

This was a set-up. These guys had this planned before the meeting took place. My opinion...
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 pm

God is the trickster in mormonism.

All starting in the garden of eden with the multiply and replenish the earth, but don't partake of the fruit. Two commandments which both could not be kept.

All the way to D&C 19 where he tells us that he only told us that hell was real to keep us motivated, but he only really meant eternal punishment was God's punishment and not punishment that lasted forever. But don't tell anyone right yet. They need milk before meat.

Trickster mormon God all the way.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:10 am

blazerb wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:38 pm
J. Golden Kimball was the legendary trickster when I was young. I don't know that there is anyone filling that role today. The leaders don't like the thought of tricksters.
I think all the 15, except for Bednar, think they are beloved good humored leaders, tricksters of sorts. Look how they use laugh lines and get laughs off of serious topics that should not be laughable. A dying friend who never gets a blessing to be healed, poor sap just has to endure to the end. A public shaming of a sincere educational institution; Maxwell smarts. A taffy pull-no dodo.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:07 am

Jim Bennett and the Church Essay on polygamy both emphasize that God commanded Joseph Smith to practice polygamy, but didn't tell him how. This would give Joseph the option that Shadrach, Mishak, and Abed-nego, and Daniel chose- that is- practice the doctrine without hiding, and without deception. With that view, it was Joseph's faith, like Abraham's, that was being tested. This seems a real possibility from a literal Bible perspective. :shock:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.