Patriarchal Blessings?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Patriarchal Blessings?

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:27 am

OK...so anyone care to comment on outrageous PBs?

Had I "been faithful"....I would have been in the leading councils of the LDS church, would have spread the gospel throughout the world, and would have risen with glory and power in the 'morning' of the first resurrection.

Anyone slated to see Jesus return?

Anyone slated to raise the dead?

Anyone slated to be able to click your fingers and have your car's oil changed? :lol:

Thoughts?

Corsair

Re: Patriarchal Blessings?

Post by Corsair » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:48 am

I was promised that I would be able to use my priesthood to cause the storms to "be calm". Seriously, I was some kind of master of weather. A few close family members who have read this passage in my Patriarchal Blessing have earnestly sought me out to pray for them when they are travelling in bad weather.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:01 am

Mine says the "women" I will marry.

The wife says it's a typo and should be "woman".

It also says I will never apostatize.

Oopsie!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:02 am

I'm disappointed that all I got was the gift of discernment and all the usual stuff about having the blessings of Abraham Isaac and Jacob.

Look where that discernment got me!

ETA: if I had lived in the early 1900s I could have just paid a more popular patriarch for a better blessing.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:19 am

I don't remember any fancy first resurrection, or Jesus stuff, I guess I'm going to to have to go find my mormon semi-cold psychic reading and see if I've forgotten those.

One funny statement is that I have the gift of reaching out to those who have "left the fold" and bringing them back. I guess I need to work on myself eh?

Patriarchal Blessings were a big deal in my family. There were times in my life when I treated it like "my own personal scripture" and I can say that hoping for parts of my PB blessing to "come true" is definitely part of me coming to the conclusion that mormonism can't live up to it's promises. I begged and pleaded with Elohim many times to give me parts and pieces of my own personal "blessings" or guide me somehow so those things could happen, and... Well, here I am.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 am

Mine is very generalized and boring. I probably got the same one as FiveFingers.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:04 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 am
Mine is very generalized and boring. I probably got the same one as FiveFingers.
Likewise. I was a bit disappointed that the patriarch got a couple of things wrong about my current situation and when I pointed them out he said, "ok, I'll fix those when I type it up." I wondered how he could say anything reliably prophetic when he couldn't get the simple facts straight. Years later I wondered if it might be possible to get a refresher blessing from someone more inspired.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:09 pm

I wonder what blessings end up being like for those who are in the LGBTQ community.

I've got 2 friends who have TG children. Very loved children, but they've both had such horrible struggles in their life. I also have a gay friend who is an ex-bishop, and was EXED as well. He tried everything he could, including the old "shock therapy" approach, and is still gay.

Wonder what his PB is like? I may ask him...

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:43 pm

I got a 5-page bombshell. I was personally blessed under the hands of HF with priesthood power to heal. I was preordained to be a "holy disciple" which I read as "apostle" (who else is "holy", amiright?). I knew my wife in the pre-ex. My Heavenly Mother prays daily to the Father for me. I am to lead my siblings (we're all in our 40's now, BTW). I am to bless my home and heal people. I am to come to know Nephi and Moroni as real men.

Geez, I wonder if they knew that my mother would remember all this stuff when I left the church and that she would remind me of these things to keep me in? No, the church would never manipulate like that.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:20 pm

There was a kid in our ward who's blessing said he would die early to usher in the coming of the lard. :shock:

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:39 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:20 pm
There was a kid in our ward who's blessing said he would die early to usher in the coming of the lard. :shock:
Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:01 am
Mine says the "women" I will marry.
The wife says it's a typo and should be "woman".
Perhaps "lard" was a typo, like woman vs. women in Red's PB. ;)
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:33 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:48 am
I was promised that I would be able to use my priesthood to cause the storms to "be calm". Seriously, I was some kind of master of weather. A few close family members who have read this passage in my Patriarchal Blessing have earnestly sought me out to pray for them when they are travelling in bad weather.
WOW!!! Maybe you're an X-Men :o :shock:

My PB said I would have a loving sweet marriage. Whoops! It was a real mind-f@#$ though when I was TBM, because at the end there always that part about how all the blessings are predicated on your obedience. So when XH was just being his cheating, abusive self, I thought it was all my fault because I wasn't obedient enough.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:13 pm

MoPag wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:33 pm
My PB said I would have a loving sweet marriage. Whoops! It was a real mind-f@#$ though when I was TBM, because at the end there always that part about how all the blessings are predicated on your obedience. So when XH was just being his cheating, abusive self, I thought it was all my fault because I wasn't obedient enough.
That's horrible.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:36 pm

I never received a Patriarchal Blessing. Never got one before I left the Church as a teenager. When I rejoined years later, I was past the age where I would put any stock in fortune telling. Been there done that at the State Fair. My fortune had already been cast.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 am

moksha wrote:I never received a Patriarchal Blessing. Never got one before I left the Church as a teenager. When I rejoined years later, I was past the age where I would put any stock in fortune telling. Been there done that at the State Fair. My fortune had already been cast.
Sounds like an opportunity for a great experience Moksha! You should do it.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:30 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 am
moksha wrote:I never received a Patriarchal Blessing. Never got one before I left the Church as a teenager. When I rejoined years later, I was past the age where I would put any stock in fortune telling. Been there done that at the State Fair. My fortune had already been cast.
Sounds like an opportunity for a great experience Moksha! You should do it.
Ditto. Do it Moksha. See what it says and "bring us word".