Initiatories changes

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
no1saint

Initiatories changes

Post by no1saint » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:12 am

Changes post 1990 are well documented and known. However the transition from a literal bathing and full bodied anointing in a large bath to what it was pre 1990 changes isn’t as well known.

I’m intrigued, does anyone know when it changed to a hose in a tiled small partitioned room with devotees moving through 3 rooms?

Corsair

Re: Initiatories changes

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:42 pm

no1saint wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:12 am
Changes post 1990 are well documented and known. However the transition from a literal bathing and full bodied anointing in a large bath to what it was pre 1990 changes isn’t as well known.

I’m intrigued, does anyone know when it changed to a hose in a tiled small partitioned room with devotees moving through 3 rooms?
That's a good question and I do not know the answer. The men's initiatory was not changed in January although the women's was changed slightly.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:36 pm

The only changes I recall over my 40 yrs is less touchy near the pink parts and within the last decade or so, not having to get completely naked under the shield with the switching of new pair of temp undies. It would be interesting to have a list of exact dates and changes. I did see this on XmoRedit:
Date: May 21, 2016 11:20PM
NEW CHANGES TO THE INITIATORY STARTED THIS WEEK

I thought you guys would like to know this. I did Washings & Anointings in the Gilbert, AZ. Temple this week (don't ask) and they had a sign up in the initiatory that said, "The First Presidency how was determined that patron has determined that patrons should where white clothing instead of the shield when performing initiatory ordinances."

That is an exact quote. I was told this is a churchwide policy in every temple that went into effect this week on Tuesday, May 17, 2016.

I was unaware of this new change and so I didn't have white pants to wear and I asked if I had to go rent some and was told, "No, you can still use a shield just remember next time you're doing Washings & Anointings to just wear your whites as if you were doing an endowment ceremony."

I suspect this is a ruse to lower laundry costs and increase the rental of white pants and ties. Let's face it, the shields were given to people to use for free yet they still had to wash them after every use. Same with the white socks. Soon they'll be RENTING white socks, pants, and ties (or selling them online) and making money off the rentals.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:30 pm

It's a shame you can't get a full naked rubbing in whiskey anymore.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:17 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:30 pm
It's a shame you can't get a full naked rubbing in whiskey anymore.
LOL! Well hell, if they bring that one back....no, not really, especially if its just some old guy. And whiskey is better for the belly, not for the body! That would really sting the pink parts. Also, I can buy a crap ton of whiskey with the money I save on not paying the COB 10% anymore.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE