How "Spiritual Eyes" work - personal experience

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

How "Spiritual Eyes" work - personal experience

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:12 pm

In the couple of years leading up to my mission I became kind of obsessed with having some sort of mystical/visionary experience to authorize me as an emissary of God. Moroni's challenge wasn't happening for me so I started looking around for options. I came across a book about methods of inducing visionary experiences. One of them was a device, basically a box lined with aluminum foil, that you stare into through a hole in one corner, basically the same way you would a hat with a rock in it. There were instructions, so I made one. I'm pretty certain that just about any object that you could stare at for a long period of time would probably have worked the same.

The method was very simple: cover one eye and stare into the hole with the other, try to focus on infinity, clear your mind and keep staring until pictures start to form in your head.

I spent a lot of time looking into that thing, and eventually my mind would begin to give me pictures. I would interpret these as having religious significance, of course. One that I remember was an image of a human hand with a lot of planets floating in the background. In retrospect I decided the hand probably had a nail hole in it and was therefore a confirmation that Joseph Smith saw the Father and Son as physical beings and that Jesus was the creator. Look Ma, I'm a seer! I wrote this experience and the interpretation down in my journal with the embarrassingly pretentious flourish, "whether in the body or out I know not."

I imagine that someone who spent years staring at a "magic" rock in a hat and learning to tune his mind to channeling subconscious thoughts could bring all kinds of interesting images and ideas to the surface. And I imagine that if I spent a couple of hours kneeling in the quiet of the woods with a charismatic man, who I believed to be a seer, calmly suggesting to me what I should be seeing in my minds eye, my imagination would have performed an impressive feat of making me "see" exactly what he wanted me to see.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Re: How "Spiritual Eyes" work - personal experience

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Shortcut:

“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm

I've been down that road as well, convincing myself that I had received some sort of answer to my sincere and ardent prayers, but mostly I still just felt empty inside if had been honest with myself. I'm embarrassed to say that I even knelt in the sacred grove just a decade ago and convinced myself it was all true. I might even have a few autumn leaves I took home with me from there. Anyone interested? FMML!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:33 pm

I once spent some time on a mountaintop praying like Enos. Gave it everything I had. Closed my eyes, starred into the distance. Nelt, stood, gazed upwards. Not so much as a thought popped into my head.

I did start to hear things however. Mostly very faint sounds that were totally incoherent and nothing you could attach meaning to.

It was all more spooky than gratifying.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison