Does the church want to corner the cannabis market?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Does the church want to corner the cannabis market?

Post by Hagoth » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:18 pm

The petition that ReubinHighlander linked in another thread made this statement:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) has invested its tithing dollars wisely; nearly $73 million in shares of Pfizer, $490 million in Johnson & Johnson, and another $719 million in a multitude of other pharmaceutical giants namely marinol. Marinol is the synthetic drug using marijuana which explains their play in politics and over riding the voice of the people.
I have found a number of articles on the internet that make reference to the church and Marinol:
https://www.civilized.life/articles/mor ... ma-stocks/

This got me thinking about the state's (as dictated by the church's lobbyists) peculiarly specific requirements for a delivery format that doesn't actually exist (i.e. colorless blister wrapped cubes). Any speculation about whether this might be a description of a specific product under development in which the church is investing?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Re: Does the church want to corner the cannabis market?

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Well tapir rider, you know how I feel about it. The COB gutted prop 2 with those provisions, specifically the packaging type that nobody else across the states is currently using. At face value it makes zero sense or at best looks like an availability delay tactic by the COB. Following the $$ and future $$ seems to always lead to the truth and we know how much $$ mean to the COB. I really wish the FEDs would decriminalize MJ, but I'd venture an educated guess there's big Pharma deeply involved there too. Anything affordable, natural, more effective and less harmful is not something big Pharma wants out there, reducing the sales of all their proprietary expensive drugs.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:54 am

This article has details about the church's investments in synthetic cannabinoids and some discussion about their interests in keeping natural cannabis illegal. One reason is that they own stock in several competing pharmaceuticals ($1.2 Billion) and another is that they own stock in the largest for-profit prison corporation, which houses a lot of people imprisoned for cannabis-related crimes.

https://brtside.com/cannabis-culture/ca ... vestments/
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:02 am

From Hagoth's link, it is interesting that of the 32 billion dollars plus of stocks the Church owns, over 2 billion of it is in pharmaceuticals. Wish they would release that conflict of interest information in their lobbying literature and efforts, that way the Utah State Legislature could ask for a bit more remuneration when they craft special legislation to benefit the Church coffers.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha