Flat Earth Documentary

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Reuben

Re: Flat Earth Documentary

Post by Reuben » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:58 pm
Does anyone know of a documentary or podcast where you can hear the stories of ex-flat-earthers? It would be really interesting to see how it parallels faith crisis. Or are these the kind of horses that can be led thought fetlock-deep water but will always refuse to drink?
I've looked and not found very much. IMO the most interesting thing along these lines is TigerDan925's YouTube series:

https://m.youtube.com/user/TigerDan925

You can watch him through his videos try to verify the typical flat earth map, becoming increasingly disillusioned. In the end, he decides that the existence of in-flight photos of Antarctica prove it false. He starts calling flat-earthers liars, and they turn on him in the comments section.

IMO to have a faith crisis, you would need to become disillusioned after building your entire life on flat-earthism. It seems to me it would be years in the making. Check back again after some of them raise kids in it.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:53 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:58 pm
Does anyone know of a documentary or podcast where you can hear the stories of ex-flat-earthers? It would be really interesting to see how it parallels faith crisis. Or are these the kind of horses that can be led thought fetlock-deep water but will always refuse to drink?
I've looked and not found very much. IMO the most interesting thing along these lines is TigerDan925's YouTube series:

https://m.youtube.com/user/TigerDan925

You can watch him through his videos try to verify the typical flat earth map, becoming increasingly disillusioned. In the end, he decides that the existence of in-flight photos of Antarctica prove it false. He starts calling flat-earthers liars, and they turn on him in the comments section.

IMO to have a faith crisis, you would need to become disillusioned after building your entire life on flat-earthism. It seems to me it would be years in the making. Check back again after some of them raise kids in it.
This is fascinating! Thanks for sharing it. I watched a couple of his videos. It's fascinating to hear him talk about a round earth as if he's made some sort of amazing breakthrough. I also watched one of his earlier videos about why we see the disk of the sun go down over the horizon and it was the worst piece of messed up non-logic I have ever heard. I guess I don't need to bother with his posts about Bible prophesy fulfillment.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Finally watched this. Wow, just wow.

I suppose the advice to consider what are our own personal flat earth theories should be considered. I am sure I have some. I suppose we are all just blind to them.

I have loved ones who believe in Crystal's, energy readings, clairvoyance, energy healing, anti-vax, con trails, auras, and all the Mormon stuff (that is a whole load of $#!+).

There are crazies everywhere!

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Well here's the latest on the Flatards:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/ ... 70f7d59165

They are going to find the edge/wall/barrier by trekking across the Arctic. I'd be willing to chip some $$ into their fund to make it so. This is really starting to get entertaining.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 pm

I have a weird question. Does anyone know how flat earthers explain summer above the arctic circle? The sun is above the horizon for entire days. If the north pole is at the center of the disk, we should all be getting 24 hours of sunlight during the summer since the sun is up for 24 hours above the center of the disk.

I am afraid to ask an actual flat earther. It would put me in a conversation that would be frustrating. I admire those of you who have to put up with that.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:44 pm

blazerb wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 pm
I have a weird question. Does anyone know how flat earthers explain summer above the arctic circle? The sun is above the horizon for entire days. If the north pole is at the center of the disk, we should all be getting 24 hours of sunlight during the summer since the sun is up for 24 hours above the center of the disk.

I am afraid to ask an actual flat earther. It would put me in a conversation that would be frustrating. I admire those of you who have to put up with that.
Look for "day/night cycle" on this page:

https://wiki.tfes.org/Flat_Earth_-_Freq ... _Questions

Also, did you know that the earth is constantly accelerating upward at 32 ft/s^2? That's why you stick to it. It's the aetheric wind.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:46 am

Reuben wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:44 pm
blazerb wrote:

Also, did you know that the earth is constantly accelerating upward at 32 ft/s^2? That's why you stick to it. It's the aetheric wind.
Is there a ceiling? Will we just accelerate forever?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:37 am

What do you want to bet they will never quite raise enough money to make this happen, but I love the idea of these guys marching across the ice intil they get to the water on the other side, or starting a 60,000 mile expedition that ends a few years too soon.
Wow, so many special cases and misdirections. All of those can be eliminated if you just believe in gravity and inertia. Those two principles make everything work with beautiful consistency and simplicity.

Here's one problem. They claim that the sun is 35 miles in diameter and 3000 miles high. It would never get remotely close to the horizon if that were the case. You can easily build a tabletop model to demonstrate this. It would just get smaller and smaller as it moves away and you could watch it go around the disk and then start getting bigger again when it comes around to your side again. I saw a YouTube video where a guy placed a ping pong ball on a drone and flew it in a circle at the correctly scaled height and distance of the flat earth model. Pretty hilarious.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:52 am

Reuben wrote:
blazerb wrote:

Ok, so the Sun is a giant spotlight. Well, I'm convinced. :lol: Now how do they explain the 24 hours of daylight south of the antarctic circle? I'm guessing they deny that happens.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:09 am

blazerb wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:52 am
Reuben wrote:
blazerb wrote:

Ok, so the Sun is a giant spotlight. Well, I'm convinced. :lol: Now how do they explain the 24 hours of daylight south of the antarctic circle? I'm guessing they deny that happens.
Apparently, they're planning an Antarctic expedition. They can watch the midnight sun for themselves if they go during the winter.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/ ... -the-world

The thing is, they could still explain it away. Either the ones who go will come up with a conspiracy or invent another sun that isn't normally seen, or the ones who stay will turn against them. "They got to our expedition! They probably threatened their families!" Having seen the same things from inside and outside Mormonism, it's easy to predict.

It all comes down to the same thing: their beliefs 1) make them special, and 2) are internally inconsistent and make predictions that fail. #1 leads to sticking to those beliefs long after #2 would otherwise send them back to the drawing board.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:34 am

Reuben wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:09 am
Apparently, they're planning an Antarctic expedition. They can watch the midnight sun for themselves if they go during the winter.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/ ... -the-world

The thing is, they could still explain it away. Either the ones who go will come up with a conspiracy or invent another sun that isn't normally seen, or the ones who stay will turn against them. "They got to our expedition! They probably threatened their families!" Having seen the same things from inside and outside Mormonism, it's easy to predict.

It all comes down to the same thing: their beliefs 1) make them special, and 2) are internally inconsistent and make predictions that fail. #1 leads to sticking to those beliefs long after #2 would otherwise send them back to the drawing board.
One thing I have learned from apologists of all types, you can always save your beliefs

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue May 07, 2019 10:01 am

Finally watched this.

All I can say is WOW. :o

I want to say: Those folks are bats#it crazy, but I spent more than 40 years believing, defending, and justifying stuff that's just as crazy. The human mind is absolutely fascinating. I hope I have embraced science and skepticism enough in my life now that I won't fall for things like this, but again: The human mind is fascinating. (Even the tiny little one I have rattling around in my skull.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue May 07, 2019 4:33 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:01 am
(Even the tiny little one I have rattling around in my skull.)
Can't be worse than mine: