Other churches have fire miracles too

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Other churches have fire miracles too

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 am

Looks like our church isn't the only one to have miraculous items saved during church fires:

https://kutv.com/news/nation-world/bibl ... hurch-fire

alas

Re: Other churches have fire miracles too

Post by alas » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:58 am

Yes, other religions have their miraculous saving of things sacred. Once on the big island of Hawaii, we were hiking out to where the lava was flowing into the ocean. We were hiking over the most recent lava flows, for about 3 miles. Everything had been covered with new lava, roads, town, everything. Except. We came to one of the ancient pagan temple sites. The lava parted and flowed *around* the temple, coming within inches of the wall, but never touching it. And then immediately past the temple, it rejoined and went on down the hill. It was creepy, real creepy. We kind of nervously laughed about Madam Pele protecting her temple and wondered quietly if we worshipped the wrong god.

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:53 pm

pffft - and LDS meetinghouse wouldn't have even caught fire to begin with.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:03 pm

What they're not telling you: this church kept their Bibles and crosses wrapped up in LDS garments, because they know they are magical even though they are too hard-hearted to succumb to conversion.

A couple of questions/observations:
-Were there other books in the building? how did they fare?

-If everything else was reduced to ashes ("everything should be burned, ashes.") how can they be certain there were no Bibles or crosses among the ashes?

-If they now piled up those same Bibles and crosses and tried to burn them would the remain unburnable?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Hmmmm, God saved their graven images. Tender mercies vs. random events. It would be an interesting social experiment to interview TBMs after they read things like this and also make them watch the video where you have to guess who is bearing testimony of their transcendent faith experience to determine which are legit and which are not.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:12 am

Back in 1996, My older brother was going to Seminary at West Jordan High School. One day sparks from HVAC work being done lit the building on fire and the building burned down.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/488 ... INARY.html

One of this things to come out of this is that the students scriptures for the most part survived. People hailed it as a miracle, or at least as much of a miracle as you can get in Mormonism. They didn't get burnt up, but were heavily water damaged by the fire fighting actives. The church even paid for professional restoration for all the kid's scriptures.

All their scriptures were saved. Miracle, right? The fact that the storage cabinet was made out of a naturally fire resistant wood had nothing to do with it?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams