The Corbridge Manuever--New RFM Podcast

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

The Corbridge Manuever--New RFM Podcast

Post by consiglieri » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:52 am

RFM and Bill Reel posted a two-part analysis of the BYU-Utah devotional address given 1/22/19 by Elder Corbridge of the Quorum of the Seventy.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... er-part-1/

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... er-part-2/

This talk by Elder Corbridge has been getting a lot of traction in TBM circles, with numerous reports of friends and family sending a copy of the Corbridge talk to those who are having doubts.

Recipients of this talk have requested a Reel/RFM analysis.

This two-part podcast is the result.

I hope you enjoy it!

--Consiglieri

dogbite

Re: The Corbridge Manuever--New RFM Podcast

Post by dogbite » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:11 am

That talk is so mired in its self-affirming assumptions as to have no actual meaning.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:56 pm

dogbite wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:11 am
That talk is so mired in its self-affirming assumptions as to have no actual meaning.
Right!

The test I always put things to is: "Would the use these same methods of finding truth lead a Muslim, or Hindu closer to the truth, or further into the bosom of their own faith?"

Corbridge and so many other TBMs live so completely in the bubble that the only question they can conceive of is whether they should choose faith in Mormonism or not. Not that they should give equal time and attention to all of the other competing spiritual practices and beliefs and compare and contrast to find the truth. Realistically, they don't really WANT to know the truth. They WANT to believe.

For them, Faith = love and acceptance and community and a predictable world view. Questioning it = huge loss of status, loss of family, and having to deal with questions and uncertainty. Of course he feels crappy with the second option. Any Muslim or Hindu who was raised in those belief systems would feel similarly if they questioned their own beliefs.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

achilles

Post by achilles » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:37 pm

This is an amazing podcast...I highly recommend listening!
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:13 pm

GoodBoy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:56 pm
TBMs live so completely in the bubble that the only question they can conceive of is whether they should choose faith in Mormonism or not.
Which they equate to: choose between faith in Mormonism or wretched misery.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:08 pm

One of my favorites from you C! Of course I have many RFM faves. My DW is now listening and she really has liked some of yours but has not finished yet and said you (er RFM) beat the dead horse too much on this one in spots. I disagree, but food for thought.

I lived the maneuver stuff. You killed it. Elder C was horrible on this one.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:56 pm

Oh man, I loved RFM and Bill's conclusion that Corbridge is speaking out of desperation from his own faith crisis.

Our Man really made my week with his summarized the Corbridge Maneuver as Corbridge's way of making sure all of those students are just as trapped as he is!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:07 pm

I really enjoyed these as well. Thought they were spot on.

John G.

Post by John G. » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:29 am

Great podcast! I agree that this was the best talk of the three recent talks about doubts. Listening to the GA’s talk brought me back to my TBM days and why I used to believe it. Unfortunately, my TBM family will eat it up! I wish I could get them to listen to your critical analysis of it!

One flaw though is that in comparing the GA’s talk to Stars Wars you guys said that while Stars Wars was great the first time you saw it, on second viewings you saw the flaws. That is completely incorrect! THERE ARE NO FLAWS IN THE FIRST STAR WARS MOVIE!
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:27 am

I just finished watching The Matrix for the first time (free with Amazon Prime) and I couldn't help thinking of the parallel between elder Corbridge and Cypher. I think that, like Cypher, he was given an assignment that was the equivalent of taking the red pill, and regretted discovering the truth. I also think their motives are much the same. Cypher wanted to return to the illusion but be rich and someone special in that illusion. That pretty much describes most ETCOJCOLDS leadership and has a lot to do with their retreating from reality at their earliest opportunity. FWIW
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:19 am

I'm nearing the end of part 2. Very nicely done, Bill and Consig. Sadly there seems to be little chance Elder Corbridge would ever go for a face to face encounter: a la Jim Bennett. Considering how much time he saves by skipping over the secondary questions and answering the primary questions, he could really make some time for a podcast or two.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.