Mormon/LDS/ETCOJCOLDS website name changes now official

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
1smartdodog

Re: Mormon/LDS/ETCOJCOLDS website name changes now official

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:24 am

Considering the changing tides in society and the church in general, I am not sure it is such a bad idea long term. A generation away gets to jettison the baggage of "Mormon". Not that it will make much difference, but might make it a bit easier to go to work in Mississippi.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:04 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:24 am
Considering the changing tides in society and the church in general, I am not sure it is such a bad idea long term. A generation away gets to jettison the baggage of "Mormon". Not that it will make much difference, but might make it a bit easier to go to work in Mississippi.
Maybe. But since members weren’t given a concise term to replace “Mormon” or “LDS”, they will slip back into using “LDS” before long, and will still need to use “Mormon” to give non-members any sort of clue what religion they belong to. The rest of the world doesn’t give a crap what President Nelson thinks, it will keep calling us “Mormon”.

It will take more than a generation for the baggage of the term “Mormon” to be jettisoned. Especially since they aren’t really jettisoning the baggage, just rebranding it.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:13 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:04 am
1smartdodog wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:24 am
Maybe. But since members weren’t given a concise term to replace “Mormon” or “LDS”, they will slip back into using “LDS” before long, and will still need to use “Mormon” to give non-members any sort of clue what religion they belong to. The rest of the world doesn’t give a crap what President Nelson thinks, it will keep calling us “Mormon”.

It will take more than a generation for the baggage of the term “Mormon” to be jettisoned. Especially since they aren’t really jettisoning the baggage, just rebranding it.
Maybe that’s the point. They don’t want the rest of the world to think Mormon in connection with the church. They are not just rebranding a name but the ideology as well. No one is going to ask a member of church of Christ how many wives they have. I think they want to dump the baggage more than worry about Satanic victories
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:51 pm
So will this mean that they no longer will use the mormon.org domain?
The announcement said the Church was holding on to this name for the sake of the non-Mormons (the remaining 99.9999999% of the population).

The Church will probably maintain the site for the next several centuries or until the general populous starts using the name Even The Church of Jesus Christ.

We Mormons are still lacking a convenient word to call ourselves.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:14 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:09 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:51 pm
So will this mean that they no longer will use the mormon.org domain?
The announcement said the Church was holding on to this name for the sake of the non-Mormons (the remaining 99.9999999% of the population).

The Church will probably maintain the site for the next several centuries or until the general populous starts using the name Even The Church of Jesus Christ.
Translation, those sites get all the traffic now and hey don't want someone else cutting in on their site hits.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 am

I'm kinda surprised that here, a week later, when I visit churchofjesuschrist(dot)org it redirects me to lds(dot)org, not the other way around. I would have expected redirecting all lds(dot)org traffic to the new cojc domain to be something that happened in conjunction with the announcement.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:50 pm

nibbler wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 am
I'm kinda surprised that here, a week later, when I visit churchofjesuschrist(dot)org it redirects me to lds(dot)org, not the other way around. I would have expected redirecting all lds(dot)org traffic to the new cojc domain to be something that happened in conjunction with the announcement.
Cart before horse is kind of par for the course for LD$-Inc. don't you think? (See: Polygamy being practiced before D&C 132 is "revealed.")
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:04 am

From an IT perspective, it makes perfect sense. Why go to the trouble of moving a large, already established website from one domain to another when you can take the new domain and have it redirect to the established one with just a few keystrokes. Most likely the guys up at the top have no idea that is what they did.

Q15: Is the church's website running at the new location?
Senior IT: Yes!
Q15: Great. The church is true!
Junior IT: Well kinda. We only... Ouch!
Senior IT: *stomps on foot of underling*. The Church is true!
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:51 pm

I'm sure a major reason for the name change is to turn resources like Mormon Stories, Mormon Discussions, and MormonThink into dirty words so members won't go there. BUT the rest of the world thinks we're still called Mormons, so any attempt made by potential investigators to learn about the church will now almost certainly send them exactly where the church wouldn't want them to go. Howls of derisive laughter, Bruce.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Post by Random » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:31 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:04 am
Q15: Is the church's website running at the new location?
Senior IT: Yes!
Q15: Great. The church is true!
Junior IT: Well kinda. We only... Ouch!
Senior IT: *stomps on foot of underling*. The Church is true!
Sounds about right.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK