Pope and RMN to meet today

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Re: Pope and RMN to meet today

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Foundation and Empire

This was a chance for the shoes of the Fisherman and the boots of Joseph Smith to meet toe to toe.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:13 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:41 am
Do you think RMN brought extra security just to look super impressive?
I'm pretty sure that LD$-Inc.'s "security detail" looks like a bunch of 8-year-old's playing cops and robbers compared to the security force that takes care of the Pope and the Vatican.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:27 pm

The best part of all this will be when some Suck-up 70 gives a talk about this in GC.

Suck-up 70: I could tell Mr. Francis was in awe to be the presence of the Lord's anointed servant, even Russel Marion Nelson.
*sniffles*
Our dear Prophet, even the Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, gave Mr. Francis a copy of The Family Proclamation. Although the frame was not as ornate as many of the other pictures that adorned the halls of the Mr. Francis office, the message contained there in was worth more than all the treasures of the world....
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:31 pm
Foundation and Empire

This was a chance for the shoes of the Fisherman and the boots of Joseph Smith to meet toe to toe.
Old white dudes saying nice things about and to each other.

Just another day at the office...
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:21 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:31 pm
Foundation and Empire

:lol:
Last edited by no1saint on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:05 pm
MoPag wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:55 pm
Oh ya'll…
This is so embarrassing :oops:

Look what Rusty gave him... Oh I can't even...

A cheap a$$ framed copy of Fam Proc
And a Jesus statute. 'Cause the Pope doesn't have enough of those. I mean he only lives in the F-ING Vatican.

giftsfromDI.png
Hey!!! Quit yer bitchin'.... Can't you see it's being served on a silver platter?!?!

Presentation is everything. ;)
Looks like the Vatican did that to make it look less shit.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:14 am

Sure Sign of the Pontiff Handshake
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:08 am

Wow, members I know on Facebook were sure gushing about this. Oh, wow, President Nelson met the Pope. Good golly the Church is true - because nothing solidifies the legitimacy of your own religion more than a meeting with the world leader of a bigger older richer famouser more well established religion.

What exactly is so inspiring about this meeting anyway?
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:56 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:08 am
Wow, members I know on Facebook were sure gushing about this. Oh, wow, President Nelson met the Pope. Good golly the Church is true - because nothing solidifies the legitimacy of your own religion more than a meeting with the world leader of a bigger older richer famouser more well established religion.

What exactly is so inspiring about this meeting anyway?
It's nothing more than a PR event that will only appeal to believing members.

But it's inspiring to them because at least for a moment Nelson is sharing the stage with the leader of a religion that actually is considered big and mainstream. It's like Kim Jong Un taking a photo with Trump (not comparing the LDS church to NK) -- it puts them on even footing if only for a day, and it's a big PR get.

At the end of the day, this event is 100% pointless and a giant waste of $$,but that is basically what the LDS church is all about these days.

mufflerman

Post by mufflerman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:11 am

Now that truly puts it in perspective.... :lol:

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:27 am

For those of us that did 24 months or 18 months of hard time in our late teens/early 20's, Who remembers a phrase similiar to 'we might just baptize the Pope!" ?

When RMN and the Pope don white jump suits and held to the Rome stake center, call me. Until then, don't bother me.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:32 am

Even the Popes media office can’t get the name of the church right!
Today the Pope will receive in audience:

- Mr. Russell M. Nelson, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints, and entourage;

- The Italian Cycling Federation.
I have a pretty good idea which visit the pope truly enjoyed! Wonder if there are any photo ops with the pope and the cycling federation? Ask Google and prayers are answered. This is hilarious. The Mormons give him a word documents in a frame and the ICF give him a bike. By the looks of the huge smile on his face it’s obvious which gift he prefers.

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 am

mufflerman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:11 am
Now that truly puts it in perspective.... :lol:
Now that is freakin' hilarious! Members are going on about how exciting this is, and all it is is President Nelson "and entourage" being accorded the same honor as the Italian Cycling Federation. Ha! That's the funniest thing I have seen in weeks!
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:40 am

Makes you wonder how many different entities his Eminence, Mr. Russell M. Nelson will be "receiving" today.....

Oh, that's right.....LDS GAs only meet with each other to talk business, because no one of real importance wants to talk to them unless it's around election time... :shock:
president-monson-and-obama.jpg
president-monson-and-obama.jpg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 9641 times

Oaks:

"And over there is where Spencer W. Kimball figured out that your kind could receive the priesthood too....."
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:12 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:50 am
Why was it only Ballard and not Oaks and Eyring with Nelson?

Maybe they didn't want Eyring photographed with mouth agape.

I just snorted and choked on my morning diet coke. Thank you! I cannot believe they gave the pope that statue.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:16 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:32 am
Even the Popes media office can’t get the name of the church right!
Today the Pope will receive in audience:

- Mr. Russell M. Nelson, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints, and entourage;

- The Italian Cycling Federation.
I have a pretty good idea which visit the pope truly enjoyed! Wonder if there are any photo ops with the pope and the cycling federation? Ask Google and prayers are answered. This is hilarious. The Mormons give him a word documents in a frame and the ICF give him a bike. By the looks of the huge smile on his face it’s obvious which gift he prefers.

I'm just so happy he got a present he liked!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:48 pm

MoPag wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:16 pm
I'm just so happy he got a present he liked!
:mrgreen: I wanna see Francis take the Pope-Cycle for a spin, while wearing his robes.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:58 am

The battle is over. The church has officially lost control of its message.

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:33 am

Palerider wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:40 am
Makes you wonder how many different entities his Eminence, Mr. Russell M. Nelson will be "receiving" today.....

Oh, that's right.....LDS GAs only meet with each other to talk business, because no one of real importance wants to talk to them unless it's around election time... :shock:
And they have no time for their members who might be seeking spiritual advice and answers because the prophet and apostles must be protected from ordinary people who might ask difficult questions.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."