Joel Osteen and others

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mackman

Joel Osteen and others

Post by Mackman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:46 am

Sorry to say but I get much more out of listening to Joel Osteen , Billy Graham and others from time to time. I do this by myself because we all know any Mormon in good standing would never do that . Im in church right now as I text this message it is soooooo boring , worthless, uninspiring , not uplifting etc etc etc. Anybody else listen to other religious leaders ??? Im not saying some of these guys arent without their issues either example Joel Osteen not letting people in when the flooding in Houston occured a couple of years ago at his mega church but at least others have a more inspiring message !!!! Peace to all.

1smartdodog

Re: Joel Osteen and others

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:56 am

Personally I think they operate off the same emotion elevation the church uses. They are just better at it.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:57 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:56 am
Personally I think they operate off the same emotion elevation the church uses. They are just better at it.
This sums it up better than I can. :D

Ho Lee Turtle

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:02 am

I’ve listened to Joel several times on the radio. I enjoy many of his sermons, but I have a hard time watching him on the TV as it looks very fake and disingenuous. Also, I don’t like that he lives a rock star life. However, he does spread a positive outlook on life and hope for something better, be kind to others and try to be useful type of message. Best part of his sermon is that he starts every one with a joke and it usually makes me laugh.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 am

I think the GAs and Q15 live rock star lives. They are well compensated and just have to make up $hit.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:02 am

I get more inspiration from George Carlin and the Dalai Lama.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:07 am

I enjoy Ravi Zacharias for the most part. He takes more of an intellectual apologist's approach to Christianity.

He's one of the very very few non-mormon preachers who have been invited to speak at the Mormon Tabernacle. I think the other one was Dale Moody back in the 1940's?

Ravi and Dr. David Jeremiah seem to be fairly moderate, sincere and straight forward in their teaching.

Once when asked whether he thought Mormonism is a cult, Ravi Zacharias replied that in the modern sense of that word, with all of it's negative connotations, he didn't consider Mormonism to be a cult on the same level as say, Jim Jones and the People's Temple but that Mormonism was "cultish" in a more benign way.

He was trying to walk a fine line there.

I think he appreciates the goodness in the LDS people and even the possibly good intentions of leadership but he recognizes the doctrine is cow dung and doesn't lead to Christ.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

alas

Post by alas » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:15 am

Max Lucado. Deseret Books even sells some of his kid books, so he has to be church approved, right. He has some adult books with individual sermons in them. I heard about him 20 years ago when we lived in San Antonio Texas. He ran a mega church just down the road from our stake center. I find him very focused on Christian principles and uplifting. He has a picture in his office of Jesus laughing because he doesn’t like the Jesus who is just a stuffed white shirt like BKP preached about. No Mormon Jesus who hates music with a neat, facial hair, and women with bare shoulders or toes, and who wore facial hair and sandals to church. He teaches things like you are good enough. Can you imagine that going over in a Mormon church?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:21 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:57 am
1smartdodog wrote:
Yep, it's all about emotionally manipulative sales tactics.

But hay, if Joel's sales spiel makes you happier than LD$-Inc.'s sales sales spiel, why not? Just don't give any of your money to either of them. Both organizations have way more than "sufficient for their need$." ;)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:27 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:21 pm
jfro18 wrote:
1smartdodog wrote:

But hay, if Joel's sales spiel makes you happier than LD$-Inc.'s sales sales spiel, why not? Just don't give any of your money to either of them. Both organizations have way more than "sufficient for their need$." ;)
Joel Osteen makes me sick. No one who sells Jesus should have a house that big in a world where people go hungry. I don’t think Jesus likes what he is doing much either.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:27 pm
wtfluff wrote:
jfro18 wrote:

I mean really, how can a guy make millions selling his teachings about a Savior who told his followers to sell all they had and give to the poor? How is his gross materialism not a betrayal of everything Christ stood for?
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:53 pm

I personally can't stand to watch Joel Osteen for more than a few seconds. He's really off putting to me. But hey, whatever pops your popcorn in the "uplifting message" arena.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:42 pm

I used to love Joyce Meyer. When I used to teach RS I would talk about watching her sermons just to see the ladies reactions. Some of them were so uptight about me watching someone from another religion and being inspired.
Now that I am no longer believer in any religion it's kind of hard to stick with the sermon. I would much rather watch Patton Oswalt's sky cake routine.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Joel Osteen makes me sick. No one who sells Jesus should have a house that big in a world where people go hungry. I don’t think Jesus likes what he is doing much either.
Not Buying It wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 pm
I mean really, how can a guy make millions selling his teachings about a Savior who told his followers to sell all they had and give to the poor? How is his gross materialism not a betrayal of everything Christ stood for?
Yeah... If my memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty sure that's why I typed:
wtfluff wrote:
... Just don't give any of your money to either of them ...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 am

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:37 pm
Not Buying It wrote:
Not Buying It wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 pm
Yeah... If my memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty sure that's why I typed:
wtfluff wrote:
... Just don't give any of your money to either of them ...
Yeah, I wasn't reacting to what you said, it was more a reaction to Joel Osteen. Every time I see a picture of that guy and his smarmy smile I have an unChristlike urge to kick him in his perfect teeth.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:14 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 am
Yeah, I wasn't reacting to what you said, it was more a reaction to Joel Osteen. Every time I see a picture of that guy and his smarmy smile I have an unChristlike urge to kick him in his perfect teeth.
:mrgreen:

I usually fantasize about aiming my first kick about 1/2 a body-length lower for the first kick.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am

I happen to be traveling this week and am having breakfast at our hotel. The dining area TV is broadcasting Good Morning America and who should be one of their guests but Joel Osteen.

I'm a little taken aback....

I saw him awhile back and noticed, like all of us he was starting to age. But this morning he still looks "aged" but his facial skin is looking awfully tight....a little deformed. :?

No doubt he has recently gone under the knife for plastic surgery. And as usual, it doesn't look good on him, as it doesn't on most celebrities. Wayne Newton springs to mind.

Which raises the question. Why is Joel having plastic surgery in the first place? I guess it's really anyone's prerogative to do what they want that way but I just thought that being a man of the clothe that the worldly cares were a bit beyond him?

Maybe the answer here is, "If you can afford it why not"?

Still strikes me as a little odd....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:55 am

Palerider wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am
Or maybe, if you can talk people who can't afford it for themselves into giving you enough money, why not?

I now have two rules regarding religious teachers:
1-If they claim they know what God wants for you, run away.
2-If they want your money, run away.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:33 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:55 am
Palerider wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am
Or maybe, if you can talk people who can't afford it for themselves into giving you enough money, why not?

I now have two rules regarding religious teachers:
1-If they claim they know what God wants for you, run away.
2-If they want your money, run away.

One of the Bible commentary websites that I visit from time to time has this as a part of his mission statement, I guess you might call it.

"John 3:16 says that God loved the world so much that He gave His Son.
It does not say that He sold His Son.

God never intended for His Word, or the study of His Word, to be sold.
He wants it to be available to "whosoever will."
And we can do no less."

He does not identify himself. As far as I can tell there is no contact information. Nothing.

There is no request to help support the ministry or the website. You couldn't make a donation even if you wanted to.

It's called:

www.lakesideministries.com

As far as I can tell he supports it completely on his own and prefers it that way. I'm sure some internet Wizkid could find out the info if they really wanted to but, why? This is obviously the core value this individual desires and maintains. Why intrude where one isn't wanted?

For some strange reason I trust this website to be as accurate and unbiased as you may find. ;)

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:50 am

Palerider wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:33 pm
He does not identify himself. As far as I can tell there is no contact information. Nothing.

There is no request to help support the ministry or the website. You couldn't make a donation even if you wanted to.
I think I like this guy.