The Pharisee Phenomenon--New RFM Podcast

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

The Pharisee Phenomenon--New RFM Podcast

Post by consiglieri » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 am

Just wanted to let you know the first two parts of a new RFM series went up yesterday.

The subject is Phariseeism in modern Mormonism.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... enon-pt-1/

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... enon-pt-2/

For your listening pleasure!

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Hagoth

Re: The Pharisee Phenomenon--New RFM Podcast

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:38 am

First 2 parts? I think this topic might be a bottomless well.

Thanks, Consiglieri!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:17 am

I have it downloaded, but have not started listening to this yet, I'll start in the next day or two.

it was JSj who said: "I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves." That idea has been completely lost In modern Mormonism. Instead of teaching people to think for themselves, They would prefer to have everything spelt out in detail. How long before the brethren have you start counting your steps on Sunday?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

felixfabulous

Post by felixfabulous » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:36 pm

RFM--this is one of your best podcasts to date. Can't wait for Part III.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:31 am

felixfabulous wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:36 pm
RFM--this is one of your best podcasts to date. Can't wait for Part III.
Ditto!

larecherche

Post by larecherche » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:09 pm

This is fantastic! It really gives words to what I feel.

It's too bad that we haven't had more J Golden Kimballs.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:45 am

I finished Part 1 this morning.

This one sounds like RFM is having a lot of fun with the material. It has a smoother flow than a lot of RFM's solo podcasts. This feels a bit more like the duets he does with Bill Reel.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:02 am

Here's one: "I learn something new every time I go to the temple," or even worse is the one that Mrs. Hagoth's friend's husband uses on her: "What did YOU learn from the temple today?"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:42 am

Listened to both. Good stuff. Even before I dropped out I use to roll my eyes at the concept of obedience through adherence to made up rules. Never did wear white shirts or worry which hand I used for the sacrament. As if God really cares about this stuff.

With all the problems going around the fact that leaders even talk about some of this stuff instead of solving any real problems irritates me.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Listened to both, two thumbs up!

Bednar is every bit the douche bag I thought he was.

That story that Ballard tells about the raggedy family being baptized just makes me want to kick that old Cobler in the pious gspot! Seriously? WWJD!!!

Sorry Ballard, I'm as transparent as I know how to be!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

There really is something about bringing all these examples and audio clips together under one heading, isn't there?

Busily working on part 3, which is going to be the last episode; not doing a part 4!

It will be around 80-minutes long, but I am cramming in the final seven examples in the third episode. I hope to have it up this Sunday.

Caveat emptor!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:08 pm

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:26 pm
...not doing a part 4!
Yeah, if you don't stop soon you'll end up being stuck doing an endless podcast series because new material keeps pouring in every time we hear from the COB.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:58 am

Have you ever wondered whether deacons or other sacrament passers would look more dignified if they performed a standardized walk while moving from pew to pew? Wouldn't it be great if Elder Oaks or Bednar would introduce the such a sacrament walk and require all the passers to perform it with precision steps to add extra holiness?

Smithsonian - Pharisee Phenomenon Part III
Last edited by moksha on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:41 am

This tread it getting entirely too silly. Stop it!
silly.png
silly.png (128.42 KiB) Viewed 7392 times

When listening to GBH talk about how earrings make young men less attractive, and that young men look so much better without them, did anyone else think that sounded very gay? Did GBH have a closeted thing?

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:59 am

It occurs to me if the leaders would just stop talking about these petty details and get to work fixing real problems how much better we would all feel.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:44 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:59 am
It occurs to me if the leaders would just stop talking about these petty details and get to work fixing real problems how much better we would all feel.
They don't know how to do that without admitting mistakes. So focus on controlling the details of peoples' lives in order to perpetuate the illusion that they actually have some kind of power.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:16 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:58 am
Have you ever wondered whether deacons or other sacrament passers would look more dignified if they performed a standardized walk while moving from pew to pew? Wouldn't it be great if Elder Oaks or Bednar would introduce the such a sacrament walk and require all the passers to perform it with precision steps to add extra holiness?

Smithsonian - Pharisee Phenomenon Part III
Excellent! I think all "ministers" of TSCC should be required to do the silly walk; it would make them more peculiar.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:09 pm

What I found particularly disturbing in the recordings of Oaks' proclamations was his tone of voice. He was speaking in a very lighthearted tone, as if he was merely joking, but at the same time he was very serious about what he was saying. It was as if he was very aware that what he was saying was Pharisaical but that if he said it in a friendly, jovial enough tone people would not pick up on that.

Did anybody notice that?

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:44 am
1smartdodog wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:59 am
They don't know how to do that without admitting mistakes. So focus on controlling the details of peoples' lives in order to perpetuate the illusion that they actually have some kind of power.
The could just ignore the past like they do now and just sop taking about stupid stuff. No TBM would notice much other than they find themselves at the food shelter instead of the temple.
― Thomas A. Edison

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:54 am

I just finished part 3. I think it's worth noting that at Boyd Packer's funeral everyone talked about Boyd Packer. It seems that if you are prominent enough your life is considered inspirational and is appropriate for discussion at your own funeral.

To be fair, I spoke at a funeral and told several stories about the deceased. It was heard by several leaders, and no one complained. I think Packer's effort to remove the family from the funeral has failed.