Real or really hopeful?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Brent

Real or really hopeful?

Post by Brent » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:56 pm

Last edited by Brent on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfro18

Re: Real or really hopful?

Post by jfro18 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 pm

No chance this is real - these old white dudes aren't going to launch as a website to announce they're leaving the Q12.

"The jig is up, my Brothers and Sisters." -- No chance.

Where did you come across it?

Brent

Re: Real or really hopeful?

Post by Brent » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:13 pm

Fever dream. Somebody put some hours into it. The segue into "the church isn't true" is really awkward.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:47 am

I truly have no faith that this is real. It would be an absolute bombshell and would be a delightfully strange part of general conference for this mystery apostle to not speak in conference or even give an amazing final talk. Conference is in a week and surely this would be an appropriate venue for proving the identity of this apostle. As Carl Sagan wisely said:
Carl Sagan wrote:Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
Among the things in which I hold faith, this apostolic apostasy is surely not one of them.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:56 am

I would run up and down the streets naked if this happened - that's how sure I am that it's not real. :)

Look... if an apostle is ever going to leave the church, they would never completely torch it like this. Could you imagine?

Maybe a bishop... maybe even a stake pres... but a GA?

No chance. And they certainly wouldn't tease it like that and link to a ton of Mormon Stories, RFM, Bill Reel, CES Letter type material in the process.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:11 am

"Signed"

Anonymous - for now
I for one, welcome our new Elder Anonymous...

Wait...

On second thought: I for one, join the others in this thread with being extremely skeptical.

Whoever registered the domain was at least smart enough to use one of those "Privacy" registrars to protect their identity from geeks like me who will at least dedicate 10 seconds of research time.

Dear "Anonymous" Apostle: Step it up, and tell the truth to the world, like the apostles of old supposedly did. (Otherwise, this is just wishful thinking by someone who has too much time on their hands. Is Jonathan Streeter up to shenanigans again?)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:14 am

The *only* reason i think this could be true is that it looks so obviously fake that I can't believe someone would spend that much time creating a website that will ultimately go nowhere.

I would say the odds of this being true are about the odds that Joseph Smith actually got the Book of Abraham right, but prove me wrong I guess.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:17 am

Streeter! Is that you again? Didn't you learn your lesson about the fake apology letter?

Kishkumen

Re: Real or really hopful?

Post by Kishkumen » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:33 am

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 pm
No chance this is real - these old white dudes aren't going to launch as a website to announce they're leaving the Q12.

"The jig is up, my Brothers and Sisters." -- No chance.

Where did you come across it?
Dido

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:56 am

If this was an apostle finally coming clean, unburdening himself, and coming to terms with his previous deceptions would he do it anonymously, knowing that it would immediately be written off as a fake by both believers and nonbelievers?

Besides, I could not detect any German grammar in it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:32 am

I would say this is most likely in the same vein as the Church's 'Apology for the Priesthood Ban'.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:38 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:32 am
I would say this is most likely in the same vein as the Church's 'Apology for the Priesthood Ban'.
Perhaps from the same guy. I doubt anyone who makes it to that cushy level is going to blow a gig that gives them an unlimited credit card just to pursue an interest in truth.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:44 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:38 am
Just This Guy wrote:
Perhaps from the same guy. I doubt anyone who makes it to that cushy level is going to blow a gig that gives them an unlimited credit card just to pursue an interest in truth.

Isn't part of what happens when someone is called as a Q12 is that they have to sign over the property rights for their house to the church? I thought I read that somewhere.

If that is true, while I'm sure there is some logical tax reason for doing so, there is a rather insidious control mechanism that goes along with that. If a Q12 were to leave the church and go apostate, then the church could literally kick them out of their house and put them out onto the street in addition to loosing their cushy pension. The church has pretty powerful control over their financial lives if they do choose to leave. Anyone who ever tries would have to do major work to be able to financially survive.

That's not even touching whatever sort of NDA they have to sign.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:10 pm

I'm guessing TSCC would go beyond Kirton and McConkie on action against a COB15 going rogue, we are talking covert Porter Rockwell provides an untimely death. Perdition clauses probably abound and are very up front at the 15 level. It would not just be social suicide, it would be the end of life financially and probably mortally. Based on Grant Palmer's disclosure of a 70 who confided in him, there's just one way out...death.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:13 pm

Even if an apostle realized the church was a lie, they wouldn't do it this way. Their entire family is likely wrapped up in the church and they've spent their entire lives making friends with (most of) these people to get to where they are.

If an apostle truly lost faith... they would go out with a whimper and not with a bang. Beyond the legal reasons, it would take balls of steel to not just walk away but to set it on fire.

I would love it... there would not be enough popcorn in Kolob for me... but there's just no possible way this is legit.

PROVE ME WRONG, UNIVERSE.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:16 pm

moksha wrote:
Just This Guy wrote:
Yes Jonathan Streeter from Thoughts on Things and Stuff blog for sure. At least the same style as his prior letter. He got a lot of pushback from offended black members on that one.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:56 am
Besides, I could not detect any German grammar in it.
Nor flying references? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(I just skimmed over it, and likely will do no more than that.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Brent

Post by Brent » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:07 pm

I find the lack of the pronoun "we" odd.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:33 pm

Love it. Wish it were real, but would like to use this myself someday.
One thing I noticed is that it says the Q12 are Special Witnesses of Christ. They actually are Special witnesses of the Name of Christ.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:35 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:44 am
Isn't part of what happens when someone is called as a Q12 is that they have to sign over the property rights for their house to the church? I thought I read that somewhere.

If that is true, while I'm sure there is some logical tax reason for doing so, there is a rather insidious control mechanism that goes along with that.
When some of the past salaries for the Q12 were revealed on Mormon Leaks, there was a mysterious parsonage allotment. Perhaps that was part of a tax scheme that allowed an extra or deductible payment for the Brethren.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha