Church to allow baptisms, blessings for children of LGBT parents, updates handbook regarding 'apostasy'

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

Re: Church to allow baptisms, blessings for children of LGBT parents, updates handbook regarding 'apostasy'

Post by jfro18 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:05 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:26 am
They think we are a bunch of suckers.
And they're right.

Look at the response to every time they imply something is revelation whether it's ministering, 2 hour church, the name change, or this.

Look at the way people go to fill up football stadiums to give Nelson a messianic welcome.

We're not *all* suckers, but the overwhelming majority of the church is because the only alternative is to take a step back and say "what the hell is going on here?"

And if this doesn't make people look at how ridiculous it all is, what will?

Mormorrisey

Re: Church to allow baptisms, blessings for children of LGBT parents, updates handbook regarding 'apostasy'

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:05 am

I thought this was hilarious when I sat down to breakfast at a local eatery - one of the newspapers here in the Great White North had a four paragraph story about the update. Here was the headline:

"Mormons Change Their Minds."

Not only was that brilliantly succinct, and pretty much what happened here, but a victory for Satan to boot. Nearly spit out my orange juice.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:17 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:50 am
The deseret news article and comments is fascinating to read. Especially this part where they point out prior screwups to justify this one:
Some church policies have changed quickly. For example, the church dropped Jesus Christ from its name in 1834, then restored it in 1838. Church leaders also changed the length of missions for men from 24 months to 18 months in April 1982. The First Presidency reinstituted 24-month missions in November 1984.
To quote brother Jake: "So you see, it's no big deal!"
Too bad they used that example instead of Elohim's missing penis in the facsimile! If we are going to start pulling policy change examples out of the closet, let's start and thread and list them all out!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 am

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:05 am
Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:26 am
They think we are a bunch of suckers.
And they're right.

Look at the response to every time they imply something is revelation whether it's ministering, 2 hour church, the name change, or this.

Look at the way people go to fill up football stadiums to give Nelson a messianic welcome.

We're not *all* suckers, but the overwhelming majority of the church is because the only alternative is to take a step back and say "what the hell is going on here?"

And if this doesn't make people look at how ridiculous it all is, what will?
You know how Donald Trump said he could gun someone down on 5th Avenue and they would love him and vote for him anyway? It's like that.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:12 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:47 am
1) Either Russel Nelson lied about the November '15 revelation...
The November 2015 policy decision came about because some of the Brethren were hopping mad about the Supreme Court giving the okay to same-sex marriage. They wanted vengeance and the policy was one of the ways they sought to get it. I imagine a number of those present for the policy decision were surprised when Elder Nelson announced it was a revelation. I suspect Elder Nelson (along with Elder Oaks) was looking toward making the policy decision irrevocable by adding that bit about it being a revelation.

Lie sound harsh. Let's call it a prevarication.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:16 am

There's a lot of astute speculation about what prompted this . . . I'd REALLY like to know the actual reasoning and discussions that led to yesterday's announcement. I wonder if we ever will.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:18 am

Article on CNN:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/05/us/mormo ... index.html
Claiming to speak for God is a tricky business -- especially when God changes his mind, often, on hot-button political issues after receiving immense public backlash.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, widely known as the Mormon church, is facing the challenge of explaining why God seems to have dramatically flip-flopped on his stance regarding the inclusion of LGBT families.
In 2016, Russell Nelson, the current prophet and president of the Mormon church, declared that God had personally revealed to senior church leaders that they should ban children of LGBT parents from baptism, an ordinance essential for salvation, according to Mormon doctrine.
This policy change was met with widespread public backlash, with 1,500 Mormons renouncing their church membership in a publicized protest. Since then, many -- including Ellen DeGeneres -- have argued that there is an apparent correlation between the policy change and rising youth suicide rates in Utah.
Just 3½ years later, Nelson announced Thursday that after "fervent, united prayer to understand the will of the Lord," the church is reversing the policy. The church also announced that married gay Mormons would no longer be treated as "apostates" within the church.
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 am
You know how Donald Trump said he could gun someone down on 5th Avenue and they would love him and vote for him anyway? It's like that.
The similarities between Trump and his supporters and the church and its members is so eerily close it's scary.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Wait...

Does this mean I have to stop referring to LD$-Inc. as Even the Westboro ChurchofJesusChristofLatter-daySaints?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

BlackMormon

Post by BlackMormon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:53 pm

The church has to update its policies in order to avoid lawsuits on the basis of discriminatory practices. All this while fundamental doctrines remain the same. Nobody can sue based on doctrine (freedom of religious beliefs) but people can SUE big time on the basis of practice and policies. I don't know why some of my friends are in shock about so many changes in the last few years. It's so simple: "IN ORDER TO AVOID LITIGATION and FINANCIAL LOSSES"
This has nothing to do with revelation. They haven't had a revelation since 1910 if not before. The Heavens have been shut for over 175 years.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:52 am

Saw my favorite comparison of the LD$-Inc. POX dumpster fire this morning:
An arsonist doesn't get credit for putting out fires that they started.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:56 pm

2015 God: sneak this policy into the top secret handbook and hope nobody notices

2019 God: announce this policy on the front page of the church website

Interesting. 🤔