It's all just brand name marketing, isn't it?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

It's all just brand name marketing, isn't it?

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:51 pm

Wouldn't it be nice to hear a nice, positive, feel-good talk that wasn't designed to funnel everything back into why the church is so awesome.

It's all just branding.

I game so sick and tired of them talking about obeying God, Jesus, the commandments, etc. when they are just using those words as substitutes for the church. I'm so sick and tired of being told that whenever a person does a good thing it's because of the church, or when they do a bad thing it's because they aren't loyal enough to the church, or when someone has a positive attitude about their cancer, or makes a wise choice or when the freakin' sun rises in the morning it's all proof that an obscure former-polygamist cult Salt Lake City is the God's-One-And-Only-True-Church.

That's why I say it's not the church of Jesus Christ by any stretch of the imagination. It's the church of the CHURCH of Jesus Christ of etc. etc.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

DPRoberts

Re: It's all just brand name marketing, isn't it?

Post by DPRoberts » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:41 pm

I think you are spot on. Church of the Church has been my working definition of the organization since you proposed it.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:51 pm
... an obscure former-polygamist cult Salt Lake...
Former?

There's nothing former about it. D&C 132 is still cannon. All good Church of the Church males who make it to Super VIP heaven get to be polygamists. Hell, Rusty even brags about it. They might not be "currently practicing", but they're still a polygamist cult. (Should we mention how under certain circumstances, living men can be sealed to multiple living women?)

Of course, claiming that they're not a polygamist cult is part of the name brand marketing too...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:14 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:48 pm
Former?

There's nothing former about it. D&C 132 is still cannon. All good Church of the Church males who make it to Super VIP heaven get to be polygamists. Hell, Rusty even brags about it. They might not be "currently practicing", but they're still a polygamist cult. (Should we mention how under certain circumstances, living men can be sealed to multiple living women?)

Of course, claiming that they're not a polygamist cult is part of the name brand marketing too...
I recall a recent prophet proclaiming that "it was never doctrinal," or something like that.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Random

Post by Random » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:22 pm

wtfluff wrote:
(Should we mention how under certain circumstances, living men can be sealed to multiple living women?)
When I got married the first time, my spouse was sealed to two women. He was twice divorced, but the sealings were still there.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Random wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:22 pm
wtfluff wrote:
(Should we mention how under certain circumstances, living men can be sealed to multiple living women?)
When I got married the first time, my spouse was sealed to two women. He was twice divorced, but the sealings were still there.
Yikes!

Mankhoj

Post by Mankhoj » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:48 pm

Random wrote:
wtfluff wrote:
I boasted about being sealed to two women... until I learned the truth behind it all.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:57 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:14 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Former?

I recall a recent prophet proclaiming that "it was never doctrinal," or something like that.
When the "current prophet" brags about his polygamous exploits over the pulpit at the mormon convention, I'm comfortable saying that the other "recent prophet" has been under-bussed. I'm 'pretty sure' that other "recent prophet" is enjoying his billions of polygamous wives and populating his planets now that he's dead too. (About as 'sure' as I am that Zeus lives, and loves us too.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:43 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:57 pm
When the "current prophet" brags about his polygamous exploits over the pulpit at the mormon convention, I'm comfortable saying that the other "recent prophet" has been under-bussed. I'm 'pretty sure' that other "recent prophet" is enjoying his billions of polygamous wives and populating his planets now that he's dead too. (About as 'sure' as I am that Zeus lives, and loves us too.)
What is the quote where Nelson brags about being sealed to two women? I know I've seen it but I looked once a while back and could not find it on some google searches, but I might've been searching with the wrong terms in mind.

But yes, GenCon is basically a pep rally to make sure members are still as loyal to the leaders as ever. And it works just by judging the reaction in the faithful areas online.

Random

Post by Random » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:17 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:44 pm
Random wrote:
Yikes!
I got a cancellation of sealing a few years after we got divorced (with no future marriage on the horizon; probably because both my bishop and sp went to bat for me).

First wife died, still being sealed to him, but hated him with a passion. I think the 2nd wife decided Mormonism was not for her. So, it looks like he'll be wifeless in heaven, supposing the lds corp really has sealing power.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:31 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:43 pm
What is the quote where Nelson brags about being sealed to two women? I know I've seen it but I looked once a while back and could not find it on some google searches, but I might've been searching with the wrong terms in mind.

But yes, GenCon is basically a pep rally to make sure members are still as loyal to the leaders as ever. And it works just by judging the reaction in the faithful areas online.
Maybe I shouldn't type about it, because I haven't actually listened to, or read the speech where cRusty bragged about his polygamous exploits.

Hopefully someone here on NOM remembers where that happened. I could have been a speech somewhere besides GC...

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:57 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Henry Eyring gave a talk during the priesthood session tonight basically asserting that to criticize the 'Lord's annointed' is speaking evil of the 'Lord's annointed' and leads to spiritual degradation and a win for Satan. Church leaders think they're above reproach and are worthy of worship as they act as businessmen for a multi-hundred billion dollar real estate corporation with financial perks and benefits for themselves and families... it's nauseating.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Mormon 8 wrote:
jfro18 wrote:
Henry Eyring gave a talk during the priesthood session tonight basically asserting that to criticize the 'Lord's annointed' is speaking evil of the 'Lord's annointed' and leads to spiritual degradation and a win for Satan. Church leaders think they're above reproach and are worthy of worship as they act as businessmen for a multi-hundred billion dollar real estate corporation with financial perks and benefits for themselves and families... it's nauseating.
I was washed and anointed in the temple so they can’t criticize me either.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:51 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:51 pm
Wouldn't it be nice to hear a nice, positive, feel-good talk that wasn't designed to funnel everything back into why the church is so awesome.
I think you've succinctly summed up my feelings about conference. I shouldn't speak because I haven't watched conference this year but in years past I tried to view conference as god's message to the world. When I did that I found that the messages weren't really designed for consumption by the world, they were designed almost exclusively for members.

In a way the general conference betrays buried insecurities, at least in my opinion. If leaders and members were so confident that the church was True they wouldn't spend so much time trying to convince themselves that it's True and policing the borders of belief.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:09 am

nibbler wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:51 am
..policing the borders of belief.
I love that. I picture a t-shirt with that phrase and a Big Brotheresque portrait of Dallin Oaks, or maybe BKP.

ETA: and that face is projected into the sky above a silhouette of the temple surrounded with razor wire topped walls and guard towers with searchlights and machine guns. LGBT saints stand at a safe distance holding rainbow flags that have been shot full of holes.